Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
RE: Dinghy - What type?

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Walt,

No I'm right handed. Why on earth do you ask that?
******** You mentioned storing a Porta Bote on your "seldom used port side deck. Considering you to be an "Old Salt" & understanding that the on deck traffic* is "up & forward starboard " & "down & aft Port."* I surmised you were left handed since you have eluded to only using your starboard side deck. Most folks like to hold on with their dominant hand when using a side deck! (Besides. I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right and can you imgine your reaction if I did!* :xd:

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #42
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Dinghy - What type?

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
It does look like it's working for you (the kids at least) but how can you say it's roomy when 60% of the boat is air tube?
*Eric, the best place to sit is on the tubes.* They are 17" in diameter.*They are soft roomy and don't make your butt sore.* There is a padded seat in the bow on the platform for the bow locker.* The bow locker has room to carry an anchor, outboard engine oil, inflation pump, and a few other things.* The thwartship seat is cushioned with storage below of ore blades, foul weather gear, registration papers, VHF radio, cell phone, with room left over for a few other things.* Sitting on the tubes is perfect for controlling the outboard.* We swing it on the transom with the engine rotated on a Weaver lever.* As you can see, we are very happy with it.* Lou is very happy with the dry ride and dry feet.* Very stable.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 12:16:13 PM

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #43
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

Quote:
shrimp wrote:
So, 37 posts later do we agree it's horses for courses?

*Eric, it's an old saying that translated meaning the right dingy, is the one that best*suits your needs,***there is no*such thing as the**ideal dingy.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:59 AM   #44
FF
Guru

the right dingy, is the one that best suits your needs, there is no such thing as the ideal dingy.

Right , a condom boat on a shingle beach would have a poor life.

An aluminum boat that rows well would be a poor choice for shopping 12 miles up river , or water skiing.

The boat MUST be matched to your use,and cruising style.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #45
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Dinghy - What type?

Thanks all,

Wev'e had a stretch of hot sunny weather and some say I've been acting strangely lately. Not going to ask you guys if that's true. Seems like we hav'nt had rain for a long time. I kinda hate the good weather cause we always need to work like crazy to get the projects as far down the road as possible before it starts raining again. The rain started yesterday afternoon and we slept 10 1/2hrs last night. About the dinghy I think I'm going to turn it right side up as I think it's too dangerous to turn it over on our narrow cabin top. Maybe that will put it in the really usable category. And "really usable" is what we all need. On a good note the 2hp Yamadog 2 stroke OB (very light and tollerably quiet at half throttle) worked very well on the rubber duckie. But a real dinghy would be more like a Trinka. I think Daddyo has/had a real nice dinghy along those lines. Anyway I think the ideal dinghy is something along those lines. But FF is right* "The boat MUST be matched to your use,and cruising style." And if water skiing after anchoring is on the agenda a big and fast dinghy is a must.*

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 11th of August 2011 09:16:55 AM
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #46
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Came across an ad about these in one of my boat mags. Anybody got one of these?

http://rigidboats.com/main.html
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #47
Guru

I posted the same question about 4 months ago; which dinghy is best. Search my forum name; timjet.

I purchased a used RIB and took it to the Keys shortly thereafter.

Each type has it's + or -. There is no one best type. Whatever you get you'll be happy with certain characteristics and unhappy with others. Depending how you decide to tow it or stow it will also largely depend on what type you get. The motor is important too. The 2 cycles are getting hard to find and if weight is important then that can add to your decision making.

Good luck, there are some great deals on used tenders, take advantage of them.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #48
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

I am now 14 months into my latest new dinghy. It is a slightly used Caribe 12 RIB with a 40 Honda outboard. Overkill for a lot of boats, and had I not reinforced my davits for the last dinghy (Caribe 10, 20 Yamaha 2cycle) I could not have carried it. Janet (first mate) keeps telling me I made the best choice when I bought this one (she was away at the time) and says things like "If we ever sell the boat (44 trawler) we ought to keep the dinghy." So it must be a good choice. Not for everyone, heavy (750lb), tows well, catches awesome prawns. On the davits, properly restrained, very stable when crossing Georgia Strait, no matter the slop.
If your choice of a new trawler will tolerate big, go big.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #49

City: New England to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse

We have an 11 year old Avon Rib. Been a work horse. Used heavily. Only one patch and it was in year 10,was actually a nick made in manufacturing that finally broke through. For stability, load carrying and light weight, you cannot beat a rib. A heavier rigid boat will require a bigger engine etc. etc. A rib is the best solution.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #50
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Anyone ever used one of the Pelican "Scorpio" solid fiberglass (plastic???) dinghys?

http://www.pelicansport.com/index.ph...boat=BCA10P101

It seems pretty darn wide for it's size...10'3" long and 61" wide beam. Flat bottom so I am guessing it would be a stable ride with kids and a dog aboard!

Anyone seen or used one? I found one locally that I may buy tomorrow.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #51
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

No, but it is ugly enough to be kind to children and animals.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #52
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

It looks pretty good to me, and should have good stability with that beam. On my previous boat, a Camano, I carried a Watertender 9.4 across the transom on the swim platform, and liked it. I only had a 2 HP Honda O/B so it was slow. But the Scorpio is rated for 7HP.
Good luck!
SteveW
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #53
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

I think it may work for us. I am going to look at a used one locally this week. Only problem is I just bought the adventure marina rotating engine mount and the "transom" of the scorpio is recessed about 12" which may limit the ability to rotate the engine but if so, I could always have a stainless steel extension fabricated by a friend of mine. I checked the specs for it and it is about 30lbs lighter than the Avon 9' RIB we have and just about same beam but also a the scorpio is a foot longer. We'll see how it looks in person!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #54
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Like everyone has said....it depends on how you use it. I have a 9ft AB RIB with a 2 stroke Yamaha 15 on it. I have owned the boat for 8 years and it has spent it's ENTIRE life in the weather without a cover. Anyway, I tow it at planing speeds and it does just fine. It has performed flawlessly and am impressed with it's longevity and quality of build.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #55

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse

on the Pelican:

I put an 8hp 2 stroke on one to test it once. It got on plane right quick, but there is so much hull flex even in very light chop caused me to return the dinghy. That coupled with the low freeboard and non-bouyancy vs a RIB made it a poor choice for me.

Before you buy one, I recommend you try it out.

good luck
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #56
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'

I will second ( or third or fourth) going as big as you can.* Our new 13' Mercury DR (Dive /Rescue) has been a blast.* We looked at fancier Yachlines and the like, but we liked the utilitarian aspect of this one.*Towing has been no problem.* I made up a towing yoke and initially towed it around 60' behind the boat.* Lately I have just towed it maybe 30-40' back tied off to a cleat with no problem.* Snug it up close when docking.* The great thing about the inflatable is it just kind of bumps around the back of the boat when in tight quarters.* We looked seriously at 15' Whalers, but glad we went rubber.* The 40hp 4 stroke Honda sips fuel.* Our old 2 stroke 15hp Johnson was fuel hog in comparison.* Spent las weekend towing kids around on inner tubes.* Wife likes driving it too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imag0332.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	7102   Click image for larger version

Name:	imag0348.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	7103   Click image for larger version

Name:	imag0336.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	7104  
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #57

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
Dinghy - What type?

We're in the market, need something by next Spring.* We've seen 2 Manatees with mid size inflatables on davits off the upper deck.* Might be the best but*looking for other's opinions.

Many have said..."it depends on how youre going to use it"**

Would you more knowledgeable guys elaborate on this.* Inflatable, soft floor, fiberglass, aluminum?* Rivers, USA Coast, Bahamas...mud, sand, coral, rocks...weight, motors, etc.

Please add what you consider the good, the bad & the ugly.*** Thx

-- Edited by HeyJude on Friday 19th of August 2011 12:54:26 PM
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #58
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

The dinghy topic is already well documented, in this six pages of comment, as well as many others. If you go to the blue bar above, and click on the white lettering that says Search, and then type Dinghy into the search box, you will likely find all you could possibly need.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:46 AM   #59
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Dinghy - What type?

Quote:
Carey wrote:
........*If you go to the blue bar above, and click on the white lettering that says Search, and then type Dinghy into the search box, you will likely find all you could possibly need.
*Gee, I never would have thought of that.

-- Edited by Tony B on Saturday 20th of August 2011 03:46:46 AM
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #60
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:

Carey wrote:
........*If you go to the blue bar above, and click on the white lettering that says Search, and then type Dinghy into the search box, you will likely find all you could possibly need.
Quote:
Thanks, Carey!* :frustrated:

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote