Dinghy - What type?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Given the very high prices of good inflatables/RIBs these days, I cannot come up with any rationale for spending that kind of money for a finite-lived object. If I had a dollar for every uninflated, sagging, weatherbeaten, leaking inflatable or RIB I see on boats in our marina I could proably afford to buy Tony Fleming's Fleming :)

This is why the Bullfrog is so appealing to me. All the buoyancy, stability, freeboard, and speed advantages of an RIB in a boat that will last forever, or at least last as long as I would ever need it to last. To me, the Bullfrog has rendered RIB's to being yesterday's solution.

Now if you actually need to deflate and stow a dingy for space reasons or whatever, sure, an inflatable is the answer. And if fabric dinghies cost a fraction of something like a Bullfrog, that would make them a more viable alternative to me. But they don't. They cost an arm and a leg and I'm not willing to pay that for something that in a few years I'll be fighting air leaks and patching and worrying about tearing the fabric on those oyster shells and barnacles as I pull the thing up onto the shore.

Tony B--- Your query about Boston Whaler is well founded, I think. I do see them used a lot as tenders, and have known people who had them. Excellent boats, no question. But they tend to be larger than is practical to carry on something like a 36' cruiser. I do see people with cruisers our size towing them, however. Towing is very practical and popular in our inside waters in the PNW, BC, and SE Alaska (as just about every sailboater will tell you). New Whalers are pretty pricey. On the plus side, since they are hardshell they last pretty much forever and so can often be found used at very reasonable prices if you aren't hung up cosmetics.

And there are plenty of other hardshell dinghy options, too, from the inexpensive Walker Bay to "proper" rowing skiffs and everything in between. Even the lowly Livingston is a great shoreboat as long as one is aware of its limitations, particularly in the smaller sizes.

There was another interesting dinghy along the lines of the Bullfrog but made of fiberglass called the Boss Boat. They are/were made in Florida but I've only seen one or two of them out here. I seem to recall they are now out of business, but they, too, combined the advantages of the harshell and the RIB without the disadvantages or either one. I've never been in one so have no firsthand knowledge of their quality and characteristics as I do the Bullfrog, but I've read a lot of good things about them in the past.

Perhaps this might suit although it is all the way from Australia...

Attachments

• polycraft stability.jpg
    polycraft stability.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 510
I am rather fond of the Portebote. Folds up out of the way, accepts a 2 - 3hp motor that will move it along well, indestructible, too butt ugly to steal. What more could you ask for? We're on our second, with the first dragged over a lot of coral and rocks, and the second a lot of rocks.

Marin wrote:
Given the very high prices of good inflatables/RIBs these days, I cannot come up with any rationale for spending that kind of money for a finite-lived object. If I had a dollar for every uninflated, sagging, weatherbeaten, leaking inflatable or RIB I see on boats in our marina I could proably afford to buy Tony Fleming's Fleming :)
*If my AVON had not come with the boat, I probably wouldn't have an inflatable.* BUT, the thing is 24 years old and still*going strong.* Has been kept under cover when not being used, so sun exposure has been minimal.* The fabric and workmanship in 1987 might explain part of its durability as well.

So last year, I went shopping and could not find the courage (or money) to purchase a new inflatable/outboard.* Ended up with a new outboard, and put it on the old hull.* Should be good for another __ years?

I agree Carl. Portabotes are great but I'd not want to take one to the yacht club. How does one unfold them at anchor? I have visions of putting one across the gunn'ls in the stern and sliding it over the side on the caprails. It could store it hn my seldom used port side deck.

nomadwilly wrote:
I agree Carl. Portabotes are great but I'd not want to take one to the yacht club. How does one unfold them at anchor? I have visions of putting one across the gunn'ls in the stern and sliding it over the side on the caprails. It could store it hn my seldom used port side deck.
*We carried one on a 28' Albin we had folded up on the the cabin top.* It was a bit of a tussle, but we could put it together easily enough on the back deck.* What I really like about them is that you can assemble them and tow them 2' away from the sten on the uplife of the stern wave.* If you slow down and they bump, who cares?* It's like getting a Tupperware container thrown at you.* When they are that close, you just forget them, and I hate towing tenders, but never have the slightest qualm about towing the PB, as long as it is sucked up tight.

Practical trumps beauty, so screw the yacht club.

So, 37 posts later do we agree it's horses for courses?

Except of course unless you have this set up.
yawn.gif

Attachments

• dsc_0931.jpg
    dsc_0931.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 225
Here is our 10' 4' Caribe with the four grand children on board.* One grandson is 6'4" and the other 6'5".* Plenty of room, comfortable sitting on the large tubes, bow locker, under seat storage bag,* It really gets up and moves with 15 HP.* Its great for running into the deserted beaches and snorkeling in the Bahamas.* Not for everyone, but it works for us.

Attachments

• hilton head with grandkids '11 005.jpg
    hilton head with grandkids '11 005.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 225
nomadwilly wrote:
*I could store it in my seldom used port side deck.
******* Eric:* This is just a wild guess but are you left handed?

Walt,

No I'm right handed. Why on earth do you ask that?

Shrimp,

What are you talknig about???

Don,

It does look like it's working for you (the kids at least) but how can you say it's roomy when 60% of the boat is air tube?

nomadwilly wrote:
Walt,

No I'm right handed. Why on earth do you ask that?
******** You mentioned storing a Porta Bote on your "seldom used port side deck. Considering you to be an "Old Salt" & understanding that the on deck traffic* is "up & forward starboard " & "down & aft Port."* I surmised you were left handed since you have eluded to only using your starboard side deck. Most folks like to hold on with their dominant hand when using a side deck! (Besides. I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right and can you imgine your reaction if I did!* :xd:

nomadwilly wrote:
It does look like it's working for you (the kids at least) but how can you say it's roomy when 60% of the boat is air tube?
*Eric, the best place to sit is on the tubes.* They are 17" in diameter.*They are soft roomy and don't make your butt sore.* There is a padded seat in the bow on the platform for the bow locker.* The bow locker has room to carry an anchor, outboard engine oil, inflation pump, and a few other things.* The thwartship seat is cushioned with storage below of ore blades, foul weather gear, registration papers, VHF radio, cell phone, with room left over for a few other things.* Sitting on the tubes is perfect for controlling the outboard.* We swing it on the transom with the engine rotated on a Weaver lever.* As you can see, we are very happy with it.* Lou is very happy with the dry ride and dry feet.* Very stable.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 12:16:13 PM

shrimp wrote:
So, 37 posts later do we agree it's horses for courses?
*Eric, it's an old saying that translated meaning the right dingy, is the one that best*suits your needs,***there is no*such thing as the**ideal dingy.

the right dingy, is the one that best suits your needs, there is no such thing as the ideal dingy.

Right , a condom boat on a shingle beach would have a poor life.

An aluminum boat that rows well would be a poor choice for shopping 12 miles up river , or water skiing.

The boat MUST be matched to your use,and cruising style.

Thanks all,

Wev'e had a stretch of hot sunny weather and some say I've been acting strangely lately. Not going to ask you guys if that's true. Seems like we hav'nt had rain for a long time. I kinda hate the good weather cause we always need to work like crazy to get the projects as far down the road as possible before it starts raining again. The rain started yesterday afternoon and we slept 10 1/2hrs last night. About the dinghy I think I'm going to turn it right side up as I think it's too dangerous to turn it over on our narrow cabin top. Maybe that will put it in the really usable category. And "really usable" is what we all need. On a good note the 2hp Yamadog 2 stroke OB (very light and tollerably quiet at half throttle) worked very well on the rubber duckie. But a real dinghy would be more like a Trinka. I think Daddyo has/had a real nice dinghy along those lines. Anyway I think the ideal dinghy is something along those lines. But FF is right* "The boat MUST be matched to your use,and cruising style." And if water skiing after anchoring is on the agenda a big and fast dinghy is a must.*

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 11th of August 2011 09:16:55 AM

I posted the same question about 4 months ago; which dinghy is best. Search my forum name; timjet.

I purchased a used RIB and took it to the Keys shortly thereafter.

Each type has it's + or -. There is no one best type. Whatever you get you'll be happy with certain characteristics and unhappy with others. Depending how you decide to tow it or stow it will also largely depend on what type you get. The motor is important too. The 2 cycles are getting hard to find and if weight is important then that can add to your decision making.

Good luck, there are some great deals on used tenders, take advantage of them.

I am now 14 months into my latest new dinghy. It is a slightly used Caribe 12 RIB with a 40 Honda outboard. Overkill for a lot of boats, and had I not reinforced my davits for the last dinghy (Caribe 10, 20 Yamaha 2cycle) I could not have carried it. Janet (first mate) keeps telling me I made the best choice when I bought this one (she was away at the time) and says things like "If we ever sell the boat (44 trawler) we ought to keep the dinghy." So it must be a good choice. Not for everyone, heavy (750lb), tows well, catches awesome prawns. On the davits, properly restrained, very stable when crossing Georgia Strait, no matter the slop.
If your choice of a new trawler will tolerate big, go big.

We have an 11 year old Avon Rib. Been a work horse. Used heavily. Only one patch and it was in year 10,was actually a nick made in manufacturing that finally broke through. For stability, load carrying and light weight, you cannot beat a rib. A heavier rigid boat will require a bigger engine etc. etc. A rib is the best solution.

No, but it is ugly enough to be kind to children and animals.

It looks pretty good to me, and should have good stability with that beam. On my previous boat, a Camano, I carried a Watertender 9.4 across the transom on the swim platform, and liked it. I only had a 2 HP Honda O/B so it was slow. But the Scorpio is rated for 7HP.
Good luck!
SteveW

I think it may work for us. I am going to look at a used one locally this week. Only problem is I just bought the adventure marina rotating engine mount and the "transom" of the scorpio is recessed about 12" which may limit the ability to rotate the engine but if so, I could always have a stainless steel extension fabricated by a friend of mine. I checked the specs for it and it is about 30lbs lighter than the Avon 9' RIB we have and just about same beam but also a the scorpio is a foot longer. We'll see how it looks in person! :)

Like everyone has said....it depends on how you use it. I have a 9ft AB RIB with a 2 stroke Yamaha 15 on it. I have owned the boat for 8 years and it has spent it's ENTIRE life in the weather without a cover. Anyway, I tow it at planing speeds and it does just fine. It has performed flawlessly and am impressed with it's longevity and quality of build.

on the Pelican:

I put an 8hp 2 stroke on one to test it once. It got on plane right quick, but there is so much hull flex even in very light chop caused me to return the dinghy. That coupled with the low freeboard and non-bouyancy vs a RIB made it a poor choice for me.

Before you buy one, I recommend you try it out.

good luck

I will second ( or third or fourth) going as big as you can.* Our new 13' Mercury DR (Dive /Rescue) has been a blast.* We looked at fancier Yachlines and the like, but we liked the utilitarian aspect of this one.*Towing has been no problem.* I made up a towing yoke and initially towed it around 60' behind the boat.* Lately I have just towed it maybe 30-40' back tied off to a cleat with no problem.* Snug it up close when docking.* The great thing about the inflatable is it just kind of bumps around the back of the boat when in tight quarters.* We looked seriously at 15' Whalers, but glad we went rubber.* The 40hp 4 stroke Honda sips fuel.* Our old 2 stroke 15hp Johnson was fuel hog in comparison.* Spent las weekend towing kids around on inner tubes.* Wife likes driving it too.

Attachments

• imag0332.jpg
    imag0332.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 123
  • imag0348.jpg
    imag0348.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 130
  • imag0336.jpg
    imag0336.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 127
We're in the market, need something by next Spring.* We've seen 2 Manatees with mid size inflatables on davits off the upper deck.* Might be the best but*looking for other's opinions.

Many have said..."it depends on how youre going to use it"**

Would you more knowledgeable guys elaborate on this.* Inflatable, soft floor, fiberglass, aluminum?* Rivers, USA Coast, Bahamas...mud, sand, coral, rocks...weight, motors, etc.

Please add what you consider the good, the bad & the ugly.*** Thx

-- Edited by HeyJude on Friday 19th of August 2011 12:54:26 PM

The dinghy topic is already well documented, in this six pages of comment, as well as many others. If you go to the blue bar above, and click on the white lettering that says Search, and then type Dinghy into the search box, you will likely find all you could possibly need.

Carey wrote:
........*If you go to the blue bar above, and click on the white lettering that says Search, and then type Dinghy into the search box, you will likely find all you could possibly need.
*Gee, I never would have thought of that.

-- Edited by Tony B on Saturday 20th of August 2011 03:46:46 AM

Carey wrote:
........*If you go to the blue bar above, and click on the white lettering that says Search, and then type Dinghy into the search box, you will likely find all you could possibly need.
Thanks, Carey!* :frustrated:

Back
Top Bottom