Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Dinghy Stowage on a Sundeck Trawler? Ideas?

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:

Marin - where is that picture taken? It's a beautiful area...
If you mean the one partway up the previous page it*was taken in New*Zealand.* Yeah, that's it.* New Zealand.*

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 24th of January 2011 11:36:58 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
RE: Dinghy Stowage on a Sundeck Trawler? Ideas?

Lewis Channel, heading north, even with Teakern Arm (on the Starboard side)
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

Quote:
koliver wrote:

Lewis Channel, heading north, even with Teakern Arm (on the Starboard side)
No, it's not there.* We didn't go through*there on that trip.* We were going to but changed our minds and went a different way.* I frankly don't remember where this was. Hole-in-the-Wall maybe?* The channels all look the same up there, right?* You seen one tree-covered island, you seen*'em all **

The only reason I took the photo was because the channel was narrow but the depth sounder was reading some 900-plus feet.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 24th of January 2011 11:47:25 PM
Old 01-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #24
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Quote:
Marin wrote:

PS---*When all the dust has settled remind me to tell you the true cause of the fire on board the 787.**It wasn't what you'd expect.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 24th of January 2011 11:32:59 PM
Cool...would love to hear it. *I have heard rumors......

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:24 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Quote:
Marin wrote:7tiger7 wrote:Marin - where is that picture taken? It's a beautiful area...
If you mean the one partway up the previous page it*was taken in New*Zealand.* Yeah, that's it.* New Zealand.*

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 24th of January 2011 11:36:58 PM
Liar, liar, pants on fire, Marin.* The Rocna on the rail gives you away, sorry.* That's taken from your helm.* You just don't want any company up there, do you?

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:47 AM   #26
FF
Guru

Davits ,

Simpson Laurence seems the easiest and robust enough for a 13 ft B Whaler and 40hp.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #27

I mean - where in the world was that picture... Pacific NW? Washington? BC? Alaska? I've always wanted to take a trip to Washington/Oregon...
7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #28
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Stone, I tow my dinghy on plane....15kts. It is about 60ft behind the boat and in the middle of the wake. Since I am "semi" planing, there is a valley between each side of the wake that the boat seems to be happy in. I have never had it go outside of the wake. I have seen it get air many times though.....
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #29
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:

I mean - where in the world was that picture... Pacific NW? Washington? BC? Alaska? I've always wanted to take a trip to Washington/Oregon...
PhillipApparently, Marin will not give us the exact location, but I can say that you could get a very similar view cruising through the middle of the San Juan Islands, the Canadian Gulf Islands, or more likely Desolation Sound, BC. But beware, that photos like that can be taken only one or two days per year, given the horrible weather, high seas, and the proliferation of out of state boaters.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:

South Island, New Zealand.* PeterB probably knows the exact location.* New Zealand is the home of the Rocna anchor--- the're on just about every boat there*including this particular charter*GB.

Rumor has it that the geography in the PNW is somewhat similar but since nobody here*can ever see far enough to know for sure, what with the constant fog, drizzle, snow in the winter, and periodic spells of light volcanic ash drift, it would be difficult to hazard even a guess as to where in the PNW, BC, or SE Alaska*this shot could have been taken. It looks like Hole-in-the-Wall to me from the couple of times I've flown though it low in the Beaver but I'm just guessing here.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 25th of January 2011 07:31:02 PM
Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Maybe it is time for Marina to move to a more boating-inducive climate, like central California.* It's sunny and in the mid-sixties here, with some fog in the morning to practice your radar skills.* No icebergs, I promise.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #32
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

Maybe it is time for Marina to move to a more boating-inducive climate, like central California.* It's sunny and in the mid-sixties here, with some fog in the morning to practice your radar skills.* No icebergs, I promise.
Marin should too!!!
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

California !!!??? Get real. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Never again. I'm busy enough trying to keep Californians (and everyone else) out of this place

California's way too hot and sunny for me. To much like Hawaii. Except when it rains but then it rains too much and the whole state slides downhill. Plus the place is always on fire. Just like Florida. You'd think they'd have figured out a way to coordinate the fires with the rain by now so they'd cancel each other out but so far no luck.

So no thanks. For me, the US stops at the southern Oregon border and the west bank of the Mississippi. The rest of it can go back to whoever we stole it from.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #34

City: South Puget Sound, WA

We carry our inflatable on Weaver davits and I find it very quick and easy to use. However, I did read an account of a boat sinking in GeorgiaStrait where the crew had difficulty getting the dingy released from a swimstep davit. I like the idea of bing able to use a knife to cut the dingy free. I've watched folks lower their dingy off the sundeck in calm water marinas. It seemed to take them forever and its noisier then heck.

As for using the inflatable as a life raft, that was my sales pitch to the Admiral to justify the expense. She is very safety conscious so she went for the deal. After being in 8+ foot breaking seas in the Strait of Juan de Fuca she didn't think the inflatable would have been of much help.

Even when we move up in size I plan to continue using the Weaver davit system or something similar. I like the fact that once the dingy is deployed the swimstep is clear for other use. I also like the way the Weaver system keeps the dingy stable while you load it with motor, passengers and gear. I can stand in the dingy while the Admiral hands me the cooler of refreshments. When we are ready to go we simply release the davit snaps and away we go. When we return its easy to snap back into the davits and then stand up and step onto the swim step.

-- Edited by Budds Outlet on Tuesday 25th of January 2011 09:41:23 PM
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #35
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I think the answer the IP was looking for is a no brainer. The sundeckmotor yacht has an extremely high CG and the windage tops even that. In view of extreme windage and a very high CG the dinghy's only responsible place is on the swim step.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #36
FF
Guru

OK it should be in the For Sale area , but IF anyone needs a great set of Edison Dink brackets for a condom boat .Troll the old adds.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote