Old 05-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Any 2 stroke gurus here?

Have a 1987 Evinrude 15hp that's been sitting for years collecting dust. Decided to sell it since have no use for it. last time I used it, I ran all the gas out of the carb and stuck it in my shop. Pulled it out, put in fresh mix (100/1) and tried to get it to start. Nothing. Pulled plugs and they appeared dry. Put a little gas in each cylinder, pulled and she fired off for a few seconds, but died. Appears electical is OK, no fuel getting there. Pulled off carb and got re-build kit. Re-installed and then it would start and run rough and only if I played with the choke. Any suggestions?
Our local Evinrude shop charges $110/hour and for a motor that is only worth around $600 I'd like to fix this on my own. Thanks
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Just do the carb Max. Just a good cleaning w new gaskets. And perhaps the fuel pump.

Yup .. count me in for two strokes.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Guru

I did rebuild the carb. Was going to do the fuel pump as well, but they sold me the wrong kit. Will replace and see of that helps.
Now, when I pull the choke out, it will start, start to sputter, then I push choke in, smoothes out for a few seconds, starts to sputter again, pull choke back out and it runs better for a few seconds, then sputters (repeat etc)
Old 05-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

First thing I do is replace the spark plugs every year. If its the fuel plump you should be able to continue pumping the bulb.

May/June is when I start up the 4 out boards, which I have not done yet as I have not replaced the spark plugs and new gas. I mix the oil 60 to 1. Are you sure 100 to 1 is correct? The 140 hp Merc is 1970, so I tend to mix the oil heavy.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Guru

100/1 is what the manual calls for. There is some chatter on the web that they changed that to 50/1. The reality is probably more like 60-70/1
Old 05-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #6

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: LUCKY US
Vessel Model: American Tug
When you rebuilt the carb did you replace the jets as well? Check to make sure the float is actually floating
jukesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Guru

Yep. Replaced jets, float, needle valve. I was surprised that the carb was actually pretty clean.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
Guru

I use 50-1
Even in my Evinrude e-tech.
There are times when doing other than what the owners manual says is best.

Prime it and then try to drain the float bowl. It nothing comes out look for a problem before the carb. "Primer bulbs" cause lots of problems. Orient your primer bulb so the arrow points up.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #9

City: Petaluma, Ca.
Seems to me, there was no reason to re-build the carb.
And you had a fuel flow issue. which is still the case.

Try and get it started again with fiddling the choke, and like said... keep squeezing the bulb and see if you can keep it running. That would most likely indicate a fuel pump problem.
Being it runs smooth, for a time, says that the jet is not plugged and metering fuel just fine. Vacuum from the choke is pulling fuel thru the hose and into the bowl... where it runs out and not being replenished.
Take a good look at the hose and bulb too. a small air leak would cause the same issue.

my .02 cents
Fishbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Check the kill switch and wires to it. For some reason your story is sounding familiar.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
When you rebuilt the carb, did you 'boil' the body in carburetor cleaner and blow it out with compressed air? There's some mighty small orifices in there.

Otherwise could be just a mixture adjustment. Whatever you do, don't put gas in a spray bottle and use it to keep the engine running while you make adjustments (like I do).
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
Guru

Well, rebuilt fuel pump. Re-assembled and absolutely same results. Motor will run but need to play with choke continuosly to keep running. Clearly a fuel issue. So, to date, fresh fuel, rebuilt carb, rebuilt fuel pump. Running out of ideas. This is now a challenge that I will not concede on.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Is the tank to engine line good? We have a 35hp Johnson, and recently the tank side of the line had to be replaced.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #14

City: Dayton, OH
This is the same trouble motorcyclists have after storage. I have had excellent results by treating the last gas of the season with 'Sea Foam'.
It keeps carbs and injectors clean as a whistle for winter, can be used to remove carbon deposits, and stabilizes gas for months. It was originally sold for boaters, I think.
Works as advertised.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
Is there a filter anywhere in the line to the carb? Sounds like something is clogging the fuel path. Pick up point in the tank? We used to have a similar problem in our 2 cycle lawn equipment; generally turned out to be a clogged tank filter, or plugged line from the tank.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
Guru

It is a newer tank. I'll check the pick up. I did try sqeezing the bulb as it ran, but same results.
No fuel filter that I can find. There is just a screen at the fuel pump.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
Guru

I think you may have done something wrong w the carb.

Another test is to rig an overhead fuel supply w hose to the carb. May need to get a small hose barb fitting to screw into the carb float bowel.
Then see if it will run. If it does your problem is in the supply like the tank, hose, primer bulb ect. If it behaves as it did before you've done something wrong w the carb. Take it apart and check the float and it's operation carefully. Make sure the float valve works by blowing and operating the float and needle shut-off valve to see if it shuts off and opens up properly. The float could be bent and sticking on the side of the float bowl.

Having done all that you should know what the problem is/was.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Guru

Eric, you may be right.
Just downloaded 12 pages of carb info and we tear apart and re-do tonight.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #19
FF
Guru

A good soak in laquer thinner should solve the problem.

Sounds like a plugged passage To the jets , so the carb cant transition from very rich idle to normal operation.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #20

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
The comments here about the fuel line & bulb are on the money, most of the head banging problems I have had were the fuel line & connection at the engine. If it sucks any air at all, it will give your symptoms. I once had your exact problem that haunted me for days and it turned out to be the rubber fuel line had delaminated on the inside so as soon as the motor would start generating suction/pulling fuel, the fuel line would collapse internally and starve the motor. You could not see this on the outside of the hose and it looked clear when looking down through it. Was quite by accident I found the problem, you would think it rare but i have had it happen twice. Most of the time it is the crappy fuel line connector at the motor letting in air.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote