Old 03-09-2019, 09:29 PM   #41
Guru

City: Boston Area
Just because it says "20" on the cowl doesn't mean you have to use it. You can still only use 10-15 hp if that's all you want. BUT....if it says "15" on the cowl, that's all you'll ever get. If you can "afford" it in cost and weight, get the larger motor. There's no downside. You might find you want to tow a tube, run into a strong wind and current with an extra load, need to help recover the anchor from the mothership......the possible needs for extra HP are infinite...the possible problems are 2. Money and Pounds.

Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #42

City: Palatka, Florida
Vessel Name: Neeltje
Vessel Model: 1902 Dutch Tjalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Just because it says "20" on the cowl doesn't mean you have to use it. You can still only use 10-15 hp if that's all you want. BUT....if it says "15" on the cowl, that's all you'll ever get. If you can "afford" it in cost and weight, get the larger motor. There's no downside. You might find you want to tow a tube, run into a strong wind and current with an extra load, need to help recover the anchor from the mothership......the possible needs for extra HP are infinite...the possible problems are 2. Money and Pounds.

If you're not careful, 'Torque Steering' (for lac of a better term) might also be an issue with a relatively "high-powered" tiller-driven outboard mounted on a relatively short and light boat. I lost a brand-new 9.9 Penta that way. It now rests in peace at the bottom of lake Morisco, which as we all know, is deeper than Hell.

Jacques Burgalat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #43
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
On the lake, some bass boaters would switch engine cowls. Suddenly you'd see a bass boat outrunning bigger hp boats and no one know that it had far more hp than indicated. You could get a 20 and get a 15 cowl and then look like the fastest 15 ever.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #44

City: Palatka, Florida
Vessel Name: Neeltje
Vessel Model: 1902 Dutch Tjalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
On the lake, some bass boaters would switch engine cowls. Suddenly you'd see a bass boat outrunning bigger hp boats and no one know that it had far more hp than indicated. You could get a 20 and get a 15 cowl and then look like the fastest 15 ever.
Great! First, we had the Hemi-powered Prius, now we've got the Sleeper Dink.

Granted, this was back in the mid-80s, but my soft bottom 3.10 Zodiac stood practically straight up when I slapped the 9.9 Penta on it.
Since I was in a hurry to try out both the new boat and its new motor, and obviously couldn't sit in the back, I had a redneck brain fart.
I duct-taped the extensions that happened to be laying around on my wife's favorite vacuum cleaner onto the tiller and sat with my feet dangling over the bow.
I'd already made it around the lake a couple of times at moderate speed when I decided to see if I could actually get the boat to plane, so I opened the throttle, and it was at that precise moment that I learned that duct tape doesn't hold up all that well when wet.
I was almost on a plane and at WOT when the vacuum cleaner tubes detached themselves from the tiller, the motor swung violently, and the Zodiac did an Olympic-quality double salto.
Unfortunately, it didn't land on its feet like most Olympians do, and I lost the motor to the bottomless pit which is Lake Morisco (a.k.a., 'le lac de la Négresse').
The worst part is that the vacuum cleaner tubes followed right behind, and that my first ex-wife still brings it up at every alimony hearing.
Jacques Burgalat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #45
Veteran Member

City: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Burgalat View Post
Great! First, we had the Hemi-powered Prius, now we've got the Sleeper Dink.

Granted, this was back in the mid-80s, but my soft bottom 3.10 Zodiac stood practically straight up when I slapped the 9.9 Penta on it.
Since I was in a hurry to try out both the new boat and its new motor, and obviously couldn't sit in the back, I had a redneck brain fart.
I duct-taped the extensions that happened to be laying around on my wife's favorite vacuum cleaner onto the tiller and sat with my feet dangling over the bow.
I'd already made it around the lake a couple of times at moderate speed when I decided to see if I could actually get the boat to plane, so I opened the throttle, and it was at that precise moment that I learned that duct tape doesn't hold up all that well when wet.
I was almost on a plane and at WOT when the vacuum cleaner tubes detached themselves from the tiller, the motor swung violently, and the Zodiac did an Olympic-quality double salto.
Unfortunately, it didn't land on its feet like most Olympians do, and I lost the motor to the bottomless pit which is Lake Morisco (a.k.a., 'le lac de la Négresse').
The worst part is that the vacuum cleaner tubes followed right behind, and that my first ex-wife still brings it up at every alimony hearing.

That's hilarious, Jacques...!!! Literally laughing out loud...

That being said, that great story as a basis for why not to go with a 15 or 20 on a dink makes less sense than duct-taping vacuum cleaner tubes to a tiller handle to pilot a dink from the bow...
Flybull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #46
keb

City: Portland, OR
Thats funny right there! That should be in the Humor thread.
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #47
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Burgalat,
4hp ... I’m above hull speed (that is obvious) so clearly overpowered.
Only downside to me is a lack of reverse gear ... but who wants to go backwards.
But I’m really keen about halving more than one cylinder.
Got it. OMC Light twin.
One of my favorite motors. 4 hp Two cylinders. 32#. Smooth and starts on first pull every time.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Enroute to Cape May, NJ
Moore Haven, Florida
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #48
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Burgalat,
4hp ... I’m above hull speed (that is obvious) so clearly overpowered.
Only downside to me is a lack of reverse gear ... but who wants to go backwards.
But I’m really keen about halving more than one cylinder.
Got it. OMC Light twin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
One of my favorite motors. 4 hp Two cylinders. 32#. Smooth and starts on first pull every time.

I had one. Pain in the a$$ to start, not easy to maneuver given no reverse or neutral, mostly caused bumper boats in tight quarters...

-Chris
Old 03-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #49
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I really like having reverse on a dink motor. Had two without and it annoyed me more than I expected. Present 4hp has reverse and I like it.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #50
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I agree, Ski. Reverse is important.

The Honda 2 has an ingenious swing/flip-tiller feature that makes using the reverse a breeze...if you sitting on the stbd side. Apparently it's intended to be completed with the left hand. It's the only way I could get it to work properly. I watched a newbie struggle with that motor from the port tube. When I suggested he switch sides, he was a natural.

Having a centrifugal clutch was a nice feature on that motor, too. If you were in low idle, the prop was stopped. Goose it a bit and the prop turns.

FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote