Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #21
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Here's an article that helped inform me, basically bigger isn't always better, there are other factors to consider as well:

https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com...-a-Dinghy.html
Wifey B: Omg......as so often stated by those who don't have it....

Sorry, couldn't resist.

On outboards specifically sometimes it makes sense to look at the sizes and the hp and if adding hp involves a lot of additional size and weight maybe not worth it, but if the same basic motor has hp options then might as well go for it. Our only outboards we have triple 300 hp instead of 350 hp simply because the performance tests showed very little upside for a lot of additional weight. 200 lbs per motor difference.

Now, for the dinghy if looking at Yamaha, 20 weighs 126 lbs, 15 weights 111. 9.9 weighs 87. Not much difference between 15 and 20, but then another brand may be even less and worth considering.

Now, our table is ready for dinner. Bye bye.
__________________
Advertisement

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member
 
Flybull's Avatar
 
City: USA
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Trojan F44 FBMY
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 76
All of the people recommending you go with something smaller... went with something smaller.

All of the people that are recommending going with something larger (including the female participant... ) are those that went larger.

Go figure...

I grew up with tillers from 7.5 Johnson, to 9.9 Evinrude, and then 25 Yammy... all before the age of 10.

Safety will be 90% in the training of the kid on safe boat handling. And yes, I know, kids will be kids when out of eyesight and will push it... but even said, proper training will kick in even then. As said before, in a small dingy, a helm station will keep the odds way down on horsing around turning bad, vs. the tiller.

Get the 20 hp. There's a 100% chance you won't regret it.

If you get the smaller one, there'll be a 100% chance you WILL regret it... but you'll be telling the next guy that asks the question on here that you're happy with your 9.9 hp....
__________________

Flybull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #23
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,275
Flybull,
With displacement boats there’s such an extremely narrow range of what would be propper amount of power it could well be one number. And that number would be about 3hp per ton. For a small boat double that and anything else would be a mistake.

For SD and planing it’s way different. However comparing production boats one can usually find an owner and evaluate the performance seen and take w a grain of salt what is claimed or said.
And if you only have a maximum load once a year you can forget about powering for that event. No need to have more power than you need 99% of the time. But you shouldn’t underpower to the point where you’re overloading the engine frequently.
So the name of the game (power wise) should be to get what you need and no more. More than what you need is stupid.

That said there are wants that are justifiable. In my own case I may use a 6hp OB on my 12’ FD boat and that is way too much. The reason would be to get neutral and reverse gear.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #24
Guru
 
AKDoug's Avatar
 
City: Kenai, Alaska
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 765
If you are going to be able to leave the motor on the tender, go big. If you are going to be putting it on and taking it off, get enough to beat the currents and plan on anchoring closer to your destination. Man handling a motor in and out (or on and off) of your boat to mount it and store it IS a big deal. If you can lift your launch out of the water with motor attached the game changes. My two cents...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:28 AM   #25
Guru
 
City: Fort Myers
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,055
We have a Suzuki 20HP EFI for 3 years now, love it!
Marlinmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member
 
Flybull's Avatar
 
City: USA
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Trojan F44 FBMY
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Flybull,
With displacement boats there’s such an extremely narrow range of what would be propper amount of power it could well be one number. And that number would be about 3hp per ton. For a small boat double that and anything else would be a mistake.

For SD and planing it’s way different. However comparing production boats one can usually find an owner and evaluate the performance seen and take w a grain of salt what is claimed or said.
And if you only have a maximum load once a year you can forget about powering for that event. No need to have more power than you need 99% of the time. But you shouldn’t underpower to the point where you’re overloading the engine frequently.
So the name of the game (power wise) should be to get what you need and no more. More than what you need is stupid.

That said there are wants that are justifiable. In my own case I may use a 6hp OB on my 12’ FD boat and that is way too much. The reason would be to get neutral and reverse gear.

All excellent information, Willy...

And considering your thought process above, I'd still be of the same opinion for the OP to go with the 20hp.

Here's my reasoning... the OP says he's not a small guy. He said "we" and two small kids. He's also interested in exploring the Mississippi river where he currently boats, including possibly some 20 mile trips to other towns to explore.

Two adults, two kids, a small cooler for the trip and a bag of other "stuff" (wives are great at packing bags of "stuff" for excursion), along with a little fishing gear... and that 310 is loaded, with a shorter, smaller planing surface.
Add in the oftentimes strong currents of the Mississippi, especially during high water times, and power becomes your best buddy.

The 15 hp is only 15 lbs. heavier than the 9.9 hp. The 9.9 would be the "underpowered" part of your equation IMHO.

The 20 hp. and the 15 hp. weigh the same. This is because it is the identical piece of machinery (all Merc small OB's are produced by Tohatsu up to and including the 40 hp. I think). The 15 hp. is just a de-tuned 20.

The 15 hp. would probably be the sweet spot in your parameters, but unless the 20 is a ridiculously higher price than the 15, it's a no-brainer in my opinion.

The kids will get bigger. And if the OP is anything like most of us... so will he.
Flybull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #27
Member
 
Jacques Burgalat's Avatar
 
City: Palatka, Florida
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Neeltje
Vessel Model: 1902 Dutch Tjalk
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 15
20 hp on a 3.10 dink? Isn't that a little like putting a Hemi in a Prius?

Seriously, if you need your dink to "plane", tow a 250 hp bass boat, and you won't be disappointed.

I put a 9.9 Penta on a 310 Zodiac, and at full throttle, that was enough to flip it way before it came up to a plane.

Sorry, but I always thought powered dinks were meant to get from point A to point B in a timely manner without having to row. I never thought of them as long-distance excursion boats.

My current dink is a 9' wooden rowboat with a 2.5 hp 2-cycle folding shaft Evinrude from the '50s, and while it does smoke a bit, it gets me where I want to go and only weighs about 20 lbs.
Jacques Burgalat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #28
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Burgalat View Post

Sorry, but I always thought powered dinks were meant to get from point A to point B in a timely manner without having to row. I never thought of them as long-distance excursion boats.

.
Wifey B: Then you never thought of their full potential.

We sometimes cover a hundred miles of cruising around in a RIB. That's like some of the incredible beauty of the keys that we can't get to see in other ways.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:15 PM   #29
Member
 
Jacques Burgalat's Avatar
 
City: Palatka, Florida
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Neeltje
Vessel Model: 1902 Dutch Tjalk
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Then you never thought of their full potential.

We sometimes cover a hundred miles of cruising around in a RIB. That's like some of the incredible beauty of the keys that we can't get to see in other ways.
OK, I get it, but where do you put the Port-a-Potty?

The point I was trying to make was that this trend to overpower everything boggles me. For example, who needs a pair of 350 HP diesels to push around a full displacement 40' plastic trawler with a 12 knot hull speed? That's the kind of power you used to see in harbor tugs, and that your commercial trawlers never came close to having.

You'll have to admit that extrapolating it to a 20 HP 10' dingy isn't that far of a stretch.
Jacques Burgalat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #30
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Burgalat View Post
OK, I get it, but where do you put the Port-a-Potty?

The point I was trying to make was that this trend to overpower everything boggles me. For example, who needs a pair of 350 HP diesels to push around a full displacement 40' plastic trawler with a 12 knot hull speed? That's the kind of power you used to see in harbor tugs, and that your commercial trawlers never came close to having.

You'll have to admit that extrapolating it to a 20 HP 10' dingy isn't that far of a stretch.
Wifey B: Oops...we have 100 hp on an 11' RIB. WOT is 42 knots. Guess you don't approve. Bad bad bad.

I like speed. We were on a 116' AB earlier this week, hit 55 knots.

But then our boat at the lake before we moved to FL would top 50 knots.

It's 4:30 AM. I just woke up. Going to wake hubby in a minute, but how shall I do it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:15 PM   #31
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,275
Burgalat,
4hp ... Iím above hull speed (that is obvious) so clearly overpowered.
Only downside to me is a lack of reverse gear ... but who wants to go backwards.
But Iím really keen about halving more than one cylinder.
Got it. OMC Light twin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F29C1F93-6CEA-4B7D-A80F-34100FD6F927.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	86248  
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:53 AM   #32
Member
 
Jacques Burgalat's Avatar
 
City: Palatka, Florida
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Neeltje
Vessel Model: 1902 Dutch Tjalk
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Oops...we have 100 hp on an 11' RIB. WOT is 42 knots. Guess you don't approve. Bad bad bad.

I like speed. We were on a 116' AB earlier this week, hit 55 knots.

But then our boat at the lake before we moved to FL would top 50 knots.

It's 4:30 AM. I just woke up. Going to wake hubby in a minute, but how shall I do it.
WOW! 42 knots in an 11' RIB? Guess you don't need that bass boat after all...

Don't mind me, I'm just old, slow and jealous. The 90 HP diesel in my 40-ton barge gets her up to a whopping 5 knots at WOT. The good news is that it only burns 1 gal./hr. while doing so. The bad news is that she tends to go out with the tide whenever we go by an Intracoastal inlet at the wrong time of day...

PS - Why on earth would you want to wake him up at this ungodly hour?
Jacques Burgalat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #33
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Burgalat View Post
WOW! 42 knots in an 11' RIB? Guess you don't need that bass boat after all...

Don't mind me, I'm just old, slow and jealous. The 90 HP diesel in my 40-ton barge gets her up to a whopping 5 knots at WOT. The good news is that it only burns 1 gal./hr. while doing so. The bad news is that she tends to go out with the tide whenever we go by an Intracoastal inlet at the wrong time of day...

PS - Why on earth would you want to wake him up at this ungodly hour?
Wifey B: No comment on the waking up or what took place in the shower or before breakfast but he had no complaints about being waked.

Got to the Sistine Chapel and did a food tour of Rome sampling like 20 different places. Now winding down and deciding about sleep as we fly home tomorrow so now its 9:30 PM here but it's 3:30 PM at home except it's going to be savings time so 3:30 is 4:30 and oh ^%@%#, so when should we go to sleep. I never got fully adjusted here and now back. Then we leave here at 10:20 and fly 11 1/2 hours and get to MIA at 4:50. Sooooooooooo confusing to my body.

I think we'll stay up late late late tonight.

Boy there were some fast bass boats on the lake we lived on. You would have thought they were afraid of the fish outrunning them but I never saw any fish near that fast.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #34
Member
 
Jacques Burgalat's Avatar
 
City: Palatka, Florida
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Neeltje
Vessel Model: 1902 Dutch Tjalk
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: No comment on the waking up or what took place in the shower or before breakfast but he had no complaints about being waked.

Got to the Sistine Chapel and did a food tour of Rome sampling like 20 different places. Now winding down and deciding about sleep as we fly home tomorrow so now its 9:30 PM here but it's 3:30 PM at home except it's going to be savings time so 3:30 is 4:30 and oh ^%@%#, so when should we go to sleep. I never got fully adjusted here and now back. Then we leave here at 10:20 and fly 11 1/2 hours and get to MIA at 4:50. Sooooooooooo confusing to my body.

I think we'll stay up late late late tonight.

Boy there were some fast bass boats on the lake we lived on. You would have thought they were afraid of the fish outrunning them but I never saw any fish near that fast.
Life's unfair; Neeltje has a beautiful marble tiled Italian shower fit for two, and we're getting too old to use it properly.

Rome's a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to sleep there. It's got to be the loudest city nocturnal on the planet this side of Hong Kong.

I don't know about you, but I've always had less of a problem with jet lag coming back from Europe than going there, whereas I've been told that people flying in Coach find little, if any, difference at all...

As for the bass boats, I live 2 blocks down from the Palatka boat ramps where they launch some of the biggest bass tournaments in America. They do this on an all too regular basis at the crack of dawn on Saturday mornings, and I can see (and hear) hundreds of them shooting out of Wilson's cove in all directions at barely subsonic speed. At first, I thought they were doing this for fun and bragging rights, but when I finally got around to asking why fishermen would need Cigarette-like performance to go fishing, it was explained to me that bass fishing tournaments were timed. Not only did the fishermen have to get to their favorite fishing spot and bring back the most possible fish, they had to do it in a timely manner. Since some of those fishing spots are many miles up or down river... you get the drift.

Sorry for going off thread, but I still can't see slapping a 20 (much less a 100) HP outboard on a 10' RIB without having a death wish.
Jacques Burgalat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #35
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Burgalat View Post

Sorry for going off thread, but I still can't see slapping a 20 (much less a 100) HP outboard on a 10' RIB without having a death wish.
Wifey B: We don't have a 100 hp outboard, have an inboard and our rib is 11'.

As to death wish, we don't run it wide open all the time or even much of the time but the boat handles amazingly well. It does have a power limit switch if you're concerned, but we've never used it. It's a nice deep V hull. Well, not sure you can call it deep on 11'.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #36
keb
Senior Member
 
keb's Avatar
 
City: Portland, OR
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Oops...we have 100 hp on an 11' RIB. WOT is 42 knots. Guess you don't approve. Bad bad bad.

.

Now thats a dingy! Love it!
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #37
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,905
If anyone out there is living life on the other end of the dingy spectrum from Mrs. B and looking for a Honda 2HP, lemme know. I've got a good one sitting in a shed in CA. That motor would push my 9.5 ft Achilles at 5 K at WOT! I was impressed.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #38
Member
 
Jacques Burgalat's Avatar
 
City: Palatka, Florida
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Neeltje
Vessel Model: 1902 Dutch Tjalk
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: We don't have a 100 hp outboard, have an inboard and our rib is 11'.

As to death wish, we don't run it wide open all the time or even much of the time but the boat handles amazingly well. It does have a power limit switch if you're concerned, but we've never used it. It's a nice deep V hull. Well, not sure you can call it deep on 11'.
Call me antiquated, but I've never seen an 11' RIB with a 100 HP inboard. Where can I find one? I'm looking to replace my 18' Monterey bow rider with something faster and more fuel efficient.
Jacques Burgalat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #39
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,235
"Where can I find one?"

Google - Williams Ribs

MODEL
Turbojet 285
LOA
2.90m/9ft 6in
BEAM
1.70m/5ft 7in
SEATING
3+1 persons
ENGINE
BRP Rotax ACE 900 - 90HP
MAX SPEED
Up to 74kph/46mph
FUEL CAPACITY
40 litres/10.5 US gal
FIND OUT MORE BUILD MY TENDER
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #40
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
"Where can I find one?"

Google - Williams Ribs

MODEL
Turbojet 285
LOA
2.90m/9ft 6in
BEAM
1.70m/5ft 7in
SEATING
3+1 persons
ENGINE
BRP Rotax ACE 900 - 90HP
MAX SPEED
Up to 74kph/46mph
FUEL CAPACITY
40 litres/10.5 US gal
FIND OUT MORE BUILD MY TENDER
As she's still sleeping, we have the 325 you'll see on the same page. Ours is also when they were using Textron engines, not Rotax.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012