Dinghy hoisting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
My current set up is not so good . What size line and what purchase would you suggest ? Dinghy weighs about 150 lbs .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 150
What if you mounted an electric winch (atv) to the end of the pole and used some braided "wire rope" 1500lb winch should have no problem picking up and supporting the 150lbs. And they have remotes.

Marty I would use four part blocks with 3/8" double braid line for comfort pulling.
I would make up a strap to secure the dinghy from swinging vs a strain on the blocks. Four part blocks might seem like overkill but you will be able to haul your dinghy with ease. Defender.com has loads of blocks and stuff, they where are go to source when we sailed and the best blocks are made by Harken.
Bill

Use a single electric winch, continue to use rope, even 1/4 braided rope. Separate the pulley blocks
Have 2 lines winding on the electric winch.

For each side, first pulley runs direct forward of the winch out aways. they will align rope with winch drum.
Second pulley directs rope down to dinghy hoist attachment on boat.

Each pull up side still uses 2 pulleys, so still 4 pulleys are in use.

You could use SS rope, but not needed. They weight is small, SS rope maybe it will eventually fraz and cut your hands.

You could even use a hand capstan sailing winch and do the same idea. I would want one winch to lift the boat, not two. Even a trailer winch would work.

Last edited:
Marty,
Is this an excuse to show another picture of your dink?
I'm glad you did for whatever reason.
Love looking at that Trinka .. good picture.
Last week there was an 8' Trinka on CL locally here.

About 3 weeks ago I bought the perfect emgine for a Trinka. A 4hp OMC Light Twin angle drive. It's a green Johnson. Looks good and runs good w good cooling water flow.

Last edited:
Theoretical load for your pair of single luff falls is 25 pounds, but the way you have them rigged probably closer to 40 each. Lift geometry could use a little bit of help as well. Ditch all the current tackle and replace with a set of cam cleated boom vangs from a sailing dink. Adjust the lengths so that they can be two blocked while allowing the starboard gunnel to rest against a custom made chock ( your a skilled wood craftsmen no?) to prevent rolling on the dink's long axis. To prevent sway on the boats long axis a good set of straps should do the trick. If you don't have a cover make sure the bow is angled high enough for water to drain out.

Spell check via iPhone.

Trying to understand what isn't so good about the setup, too much effort to lift, or too complicated?

Being a lifelong sailor, I tend to gravitate to the simple and the mechanical. As such, I don't think your system is all that bad. I would lurk around chandleries that have used sailing equipment or swap meets and find two boomvang setups or or mainsheet setups for smaller boats. Use two of them as you have already. You will get better purchase and have a cleat built into the block. You could raise both ends of the dink simultaneously with one had on each line, or raise bow and stern alternatively as you likely do now.

Premade Boomvang.
602530_l.jpg

Make up your own:
615610_l.jpg

614825.jpg

There are many old folks like me that have this type of used hardware gathering dust in boxes and bags in garages and attics all over.

Marty,
Is this an excuse to show another picture of your dink?
I'm glad you did for whatever reason.
Love looking at that Trinka .. good picture.

Busted, Marty!:D I don't blame you for posting a photo of your beautiful dinghy. She looks perfect with your boat.:thumb::socool:

Sorry but all the braided wire rope on my boat has been tossed for Amsteel blue. Stronger and no wire jaggers, no rust.

I agree with Xsbank. I switched to Dyneema. So much friendlier than wire rope.

Eric you busted me . Dave if you have some rigging that you think might work and you want sell it let me know .

What keeps the dink from swinging back and forth while hoisted?

Does a big wave lift the dink before your boat is lifted?

Morning Fred, apparently nothing but perhaps he'll do the starboard side chock after a while.

Spell check via iPhone.

The dingy doesn't swing much . As far as waves go we boat in sissy waters compared to most of you . The only real waves that bother us are the ones from NASCAR bass fishing guys .:eek:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom