Old 03-28-2019, 09:49 PM   #1

City: Cincinnati
Dinghy

Hello,

Inflatable, RIB, hardshell? We're about to buy our first trawler and the current owners have offered to sell us the dinghy too, a Nautica 11'. I was thinking it'd be nice to have a 11' hard shell with a bimini, but I don't see many boats with hard shell dinghys at all. What do you think?

Sunho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
We're in the Pacific Northwest, and I've never seen the need for the tender to have a Bimini. We like to do "extreme beachcombing", accessing beaches no one can walk to, and circumnavigating some of the small islands we visit, out exploring for hours. Sun hats or rain hats, depending.

Our first dinghy was a used older 10' Zodiac with an inflatable keel and wood floor. I loved the stability, capacity, and light weight, but the PVC material was at end of life and I was chasing the water leaking in and the air leaking out for the last year or two we had it. One of the last trips we took with it, I remember we were bailing with a little plastic pail and at the same time pumping up a leaking tube. We kept it on the swim step on weaver davits, and pulled it up onto the swim step with a line. We powered it with a 1967 6 HP Johnson. Using the weaver davits required us to remove and replace the outboard each time. Pros - light weight. Cons - bad material with short life, no rigid hull in the Pacific Northwest get razor cuts in fabric from sharp rocks and barnacles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	boat trip march 08 and other 066.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	87011

Our second was a Livingston hard shell that we really liked. It was good and stable, and no chance of leak. A little heavy, we tipped it up onto the swim step on weaver davits, pulling it up by hand via a line. We used the same outboard and removed and replaced it each time we deployed the dink.
Pros - hard shell = no leaks, Livingston = stable; Cons - heavy, slow - mechanical assisted davits would have helped.

Name:	P1180763.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	87010

Our current dink came with our trawler - its a 10.5 ft Avon 310 Hypalon RIB. I absolutely love it. Its fast if we need it, good stability and capacity, and Hypalon has good longevity and repairability. We have a 15 HP Yahama 2 cycle on it. Both the dinghy and outboard are too heavy to pull up by hand; the boat came with a hand cranked davit system from Seawise, which I love. It's quick, very easy, and we are able to leave the outboard and fuel tank mounted in the dinghy. The Seawise system brings the outboard up off the swim step, and we can then do a fresh water flush on it when we are done with it each trip. Pros - Hypalon is great material, rigid hull more durable on beaches with sharp stuff, rigid hull fast; Cons - very heavy - mechanical or power assisted davit required.

Name:	20180903_143241.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	87009

Note - the Avon is very dirty in this pic, it was the second day we owned it. We've since cleaned it up. The smudging on the port side of the tubes is exhaust residue. We are exploring adding a crane davit and storing on the aft cabin top.

Hope this helps,

David

Old 03-29-2019, 05:12 AM   #3
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Depends on the size of big boat.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:17 AM   #4
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunho View Post
Hello,

Inflatable, RIB, hardshell? We're about to buy our first trawler and the current owners have offered to sell us the dinghy too, a Nautica 11'. I was thinking it'd be nice to have a 11' hard shell with a bimini, but I don't see many boats with hard shell dinghys at all. What do you think?

Think "system."

Certainly the boat design (inflatable, RIB, hard, Porta-, kayak/canoe, etc.) will present various pros/cons... like stability, speed, capacity...

But then there's how you will use it -- long trips, high speed? harbor puttering? -- that will impact choice and also will guide choice of motor.

Plus how to tow, or lift. How to store on board. How to deploy.

Outboard installed/removed for each use? Or permanently mounted? What about winter storage (if that affects you)? Electric start? Or can every operator still pull the cord?

And so forth.

-Chris
Old 03-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Rachel
AB "Lammina" 10AL. 10'6" aluminum hull - 117 lbs.
Add AB optional steering console - 33 lbs.
Add AB optional bench seat w/ storage - 39 lbs
Yamaha 15 hp 4 stroke - 111 lbs.
Total weight: 300 lbs

This is essentially a lighter version of the AB "Alumina" 10ALX model. No step pads, folding cleats, running lights, etc.

I have the above described AB Lammina except I wanted a fuel injected engine. So Yamaha 25hp. Yamaha now makes a fuel injected 20hp engine. It is same engine(and weighs the same) as the 25hp, just detuned.
Miss Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Ribs are lighter.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I'm switching this spring to a 13' aluminum run about with my 15 HP Suzuki outboard. All welded hull (no rivets or bows). It's lighter than all the other options and extremely durable. Probably won't win me any awards for style, but where I will go with it, most people grade on function.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:08 PM   #8

City: Camarillo
Dinghy - NO bimini - safety reasons

Dinghy --- NO Bimini - safety reasons. .

If your outboard dies & you have to row - when it is blowing you out to sea -- you definitely do not want the extra wind age of a Bimini.

Lots of options & don't rush in to a decision as there is a lot to think about - how you will store it ? - room considerations ?- how much it will stick out at the back of the boat & may require a bigger more expensive slip ?

How many people do you need the dinghy to carry ?

Do you want it to be able to get up on plane & go fast ? -- RIB's are good for that. -- BTW - you can re-tube a RIB as an option to buy a used one & update it for less cost. As RIB can be pricy.

Foredeck storage, How you want to launch it ? will it fill with water when it rains ? Will it be just you & your better half, or do you have a crew or are you single handing.

What size & type of boat do you have ? How heavy in lbs. are you looking for the weight of the Dinghy to be ? Can You wife launch it if you hurt ?

If you have a swim step you can use Weaver Snap Davits for storage like fractalphreak above does.
Are you planning on having rear full davits to hold it at the back of you boat off the stern ? Or maybe your planning on put it upon your boat deck if you have one & of course you will need a boom or a crane to launch it & recover it with. & needs to be secured or wind will blow it away.

I have had several inflatables & they are popular, but we are tired of sun killing the fabric & replacing them, patching leaks & pumping them up with air & are going with a hard dinghy now.

Good luck.

Alfa Mike
alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:27 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamike View Post
Dinghy --- NO Bimini - safety reasons. .

If your outboard dies & you have to row - when it is blowing you out to sea -- you definitely do not want the extra wind age of a Bimini.
Undoes clips, folds Bimini down
Sorted.

Still to much?
Undoes wingnut fasteners and drop it to the floor or throw it over the side.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:49 PM   #10

City: Qualicum Beach
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner
10.5 ft Avon 310 Hypalon RIB. I absolutely love it. Its fast if we need it, good stability and capacity, and Hypalon has good longevity and repairability. We have a 15 HP Yahama 2 cycle on it. Both the dinghy and outboard are too heavy to pull up by hand; the boat came with a hand cranked davit system from Seawise, which I love. It's quick, very easy, and we are able to leave the outboard and fuel tank mounted in the dinghy.

How do you store your fuel tank mounted in the dinghy?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
10.5 ft Avon 310 Hypalon RIB. I absolutely love it. Its fast if we need it, good stability and capacity, and Hypalon has good longevity and repairability. We have a 15 HP Yahama 2 cycle on it. Both the dinghy and outboard are too heavy to pull up by hand; the boat came with a hand cranked davit system from Seawise, which I love. It's quick, very easy, and we are able to leave the outboard and fuel tank mounted in the dinghy.

How do you store your fuel tank mounted in the dinghy?
It stays on/in the dinghy. The 310 has a seat mounted for rowing, it fits under there. The PO (or somebody) mounted little plastic loops for a fabric hold down strap right on the floor. I'll try to get a picture of it this weekend when I'm back out at the boat. The strap missing in the photo I posted above.

I'm looking at a similar arrangement to transom mount a jerry can for extra fuel. I don't want it anyplace it can spill and drain down into my bilge!
Old 04-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #12

City: Qualicum Beach
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner
Thanks, I'll look forward to your photo. My boats in refit and at the very near end of it, davits like yours go in and I add a new 9 1/2 foot hard bottomed RIB with Yamaha 9.9. I was wondering what to do with the fuel container while under way.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #13
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I'm switching this spring to a 13' aluminum run about with my 15 HP Suzuki outboard. All welded hull (no rivets or bows). It's lighter than all the other options and extremely durable. Probably won't win me any awards for style, but where I will go with it, most people grade on function.

Ted

Hey Ted, what brand are you looking at? I'm considering this option as well, as I like the toughness and added fishability.

On the other hand, I'm concerned about two things relative to a RIB, carrying capacity and stability. With stability, we do a lot of freediving from our dink, I'm worried that it would be tough to climb into the boat over the gunnel from deep water without swamping.

Please let me know what you get.

Thanks,
Dougcole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Hey Ted, what brand are you looking at? I'm considering this option as well, as I like the toughness and added fishability.

On the other hand, I'm concerned about two things relative to a RIB, carrying capacity and stability. With stability, we do a lot of freediving from our dink, I'm worried that it would be tough to climb into the boat over the gunnel from deep water without swamping.

Please let me know what you get.

Thanks,
DuraNautic Utility V

Reentering the boat would best be accomplished by modifying a ladder to hang on the stern or bow. Bow is a little trickier to mount but no motor to work around. In my younger and more agile days, I would push the tiller handle away from me and use the cavitation plate above the propeller as a step.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:25 PM   #15
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
DuraNautic Utility V

Reentering the boat would best be accomplished by modifying a ladder to hang on the stern or bow. Bow is a little trickier to mount but no motor to work around. In my younger and more agile days, I would push the tiller handle away from me and use the cavitation plate above the propeller as a step.

Ted

Thanks Ted. A buddy of mine has a DuraNautic, it's a sweet little boat, I think his is a 14.

Using the cav plate as a step is how we get into the flats boat from the water, it works pretty well, but is impossible with a fin on. Same is true for most small ladders. It's easier to take your fins on and off in the boat than in the water. With our RIB the tubes are low enough that with big freedive fins you can just power up over the tube back into the boat. I think that would likely be possible with the DuraNautic as well, but I wonder if it would tip it too much sorta like what happens with a canoe.
Dougcole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #16
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunho View Post
Hello,

I have a Nautica RIB with a Bimini. I LOVE IT. Iím in that thing all the time. Only problem is the dinghy lift that came with our boat canít lift it so we have to upgrade. Thatís on the project list for next year. Opted for new canvas, window shades, and a major detail job this year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3F898846-0ED0-486D-8838-E1E3C00DFFEE.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	87392  
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: PNW
Quote:

Ted
I could not agree more. A tin boat is the only way to go. Not sexy, but as far as utility, it can not be beat. I will never own another RIB. I do not know about the DuraNautic, but a welded Gregor has served us well.
Stabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:46 AM   #18
Guru

If you're going to get a real boat you may as well get a real dinghy and in my eyes a blow up or fold up boat ain't it.

Tin for the win. ;-)
Old 04-10-2019, 03:11 AM   #19
Guru

A good thing about a moderate size inflatable and motor is 2 people can easily carry it up the beach away from tide etc. Difficult as they get bigger, have pedestal controls,are made of Al.,bigger motor, etc. It`s about convenience. We can even manhandle ours without motor to the FB if we want. But at some point something bigger/heavier may be needed and change all that.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:13 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
A go you thatod thing about a moderate size inflatable and motor is 2 people can easily carry it up the beach away from tide etc. .
I'll give you that....for now
But we are looking at making a more robust version of this which is available for 11 ft tinnys at around $150

https://bla.com.au/index.php?_route_...oduct_id=14790