Old 04-10-2019, 08:11 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
DuraNautic Utility V

Reentering the boat would best be accomplished by modifying a ladder to hang on the stern or bow. Bow is a little trickier to mount but no motor to work around. In my younger and more agile days, I would push the tiller handle away from me and use the cavitation plate above the propeller as a step.

Ted
That’s a nice boat Ted. I like the position of the aft seat. Mine is too close to the transom. My outboard throttle is jammed in my back making it hard to guide.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #22
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I have two dinghys. My wife prefers the West Marine hypalon compact rib 310 because it is very stable. I prefer the custom built 10' fiberglass rowing dinghy because I enjoy rowing. Wife doesn't like it because it is much less stable than the rib. One thing she does like about the hard dinghy is that the ride is drier. Both dinghys weigh about 115 lbs.

TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: USA
ZERO problem with a bimini on a dink.

Unclip two straps... 6 seconds.

OR

Unclip two straps... 6 seconds, pull two pins on aft supports... 6 more seconds, folds down and lays along transom.
Flybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Think "system." ....... But then there's how you will use it -- long trips, high speed? harbor puttering? -- that will impact choice and also will guide choice of motor.

Plus how to tow, or lift. How to store on board. How to deploy.

Outboard installed/removed for each use? Or permanently mounted? What about winter storage (if that affects you)? Electric start? Or can every operator still pull the cord?
All the above points were on my mind when I decided to buy a RIB. My major use was to rig it for bass fishing in San Diego Harbor. My boat washing & diving people clean it every time they service the big boat. If I wish to carry it on the big boat my only choice is to hoist it onto the bow. (A real PITA!) I can't load it or launch it when the big boat is in the slip, thus the reason for parking it behind the mother ship. Also, when taking Sandpiper out for a bay cruise, the dinghy must be moved for leaving & entering the slip. Keep in mind that I said the major use is for bass fishing, which it fits that need perfectly. Conclusion...a dinghy will not satisfy every mission.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinghy on back of boat.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	87393   Click image for larger version

Name:	OA 42 Sedan.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	87394  
Old 04-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #25

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: MoonDance
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
I use an 11' and a 14' RIB (both Rendovas) which I am very happy with. I had the underbow area on each reinforced with an additional layer of sacrificial neoprene material as I run up to a rocky shore in the PNW in order to let the dogs ashore. This protects the tube. A friend just traded their hard dinghy for a RIB because they got tired of it banging and denting the mothership while anchored, moored and when they get 'waked' by idiots etc.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:02 AM   #26

City: Clare
Vessel Name: ARGO
Vessel Model: Bristol 42
Polycraft

I,m looking to change my tinny for 2 reasons
1. very noisy at night time
2. It is a bit tender and my boat is on a mooring so all boarding and disembarking is done by dinghy and my crew/visitors and myself aren't getting any younger so stability is a consideration.
Polycraft here in Australia make a great little boat and you can see it by googling 'polycraft tuff tender' , its a tri hull tender , very stable, wont damage your gelcoat and is relatively free from the slap slap that you get all night from a tinny, has air compartments that make it unsinkable and is tough and wont give you the problems associated with inflatables.
Hope I don't sound like I'm trying to sell these things but I have looked at this as a way of compromising all my needs and it has come up trumps
steve marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #27

City: San diego
Steve. No dealers in USA -- shame

Captain Glenn is online now   Reply With Quote