Old 10-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #21
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
why does everybody make such a fuss with storing a little ( 15 gal max ) gas on board? It really isn't a issue unless the skipper is a moron.
Store it in a on deck locker, turn over the fuel every few months.. enjoy boating.
I cannot imagine the noise of a diesel hanging off my inflatable.. or the weight.
My 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke s.s. weighs 80 lbs.. on a 11' Zodiac it's just right.
Klaxon's 10hp weighs 171 lbs ! a real pig.
HOLLYWOOD
I'm confused. Is the Klaxon 10 HP 171 pounds or 103 pounds? That's a huge difference. (I still can't access their site.)
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #22

City: Dayton, OH
I would apologize, I made a mistake in looking at the specs. The 47 kg is for the 5 hp model. Hollywood is right.
My bad. These things are pretty heavy.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #23
Guru

Thanks Hollywood and Bluto. That makes more sense in that in general diesel engines are significantly heavier than their gasoline HP counterparts. Oh well.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #24

Maybe if you were powering a big dinghy, and didn't need for speed, the 5 or 7 hp outboards might work out.
The 10 would make a great slow-turning trolling motor, and it could pop along all day.
Then there's the range you would have as a get home. Maybe with a davit on the stern...
Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Thirty years ago it was tough enough to handle a five-horsepower Seagull outboard.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:30 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Last time I checked (years ago) the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)) had banned the sale of diesel outboards in the United States. Has this changed?

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #27

City: newfoundland
Vessel Name: E.E.S.
Vessel Model: 38' Northumberland
Conrad, try this
Diesel Outboards | Klaxon Diesel Outboards
robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #28
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
why does everybody make such a fuss with storing a little ( 15 gal max ) gas on board? It really isn't a issue unless the skipper is a moron.
Store it in a on deck locker, turn over the fuel every few months.. enjoy boating.
I cannot imagine the noise of a diesel hanging off my inflatable.. or the weight.
My 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke s.s. weighs 80 lbs.. on a 11' Zodiac it's just right.
Klaxon's 10hp weighs 171 lbs ! a real pig.
HOLLYWOOD
I don't!!!

Carrying gas on bard is no big deal safetywise and even my bloodhound nosed girlfriend complains more about the fuel dock 4 slips away than the 10 gallons of gas stored right next to the window and hatch adjacent to our bed.

I carry 15 gallons on the tow boat in jerry cans and as I pound through waves, often some leaks out and drains back into the pilothouse and bilge...in 25 years the boat has not blown up or caught fire....for it to get to those concentrations...it takes a lot of work or a one in a million chance. So if you even try a LITTLE bit to be safe...chances are you will be and never smell a thing.

Most women (and a lot of men) I know would be way more offended by storing diesel above deck and smelling diesel exhaust from the dingy.

Don't even get me going on how big and heavy diesel outboards are..have used a few through the years and I wouldn't want one for general dingy work. The last one I reconditioned, test ran and hung on a skiff was a 27hp Yanmar..what a monster....it was headed for the Gulf oil spill on a NRC boat
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #29
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
They make some interesting inboards as well. Just looking at the little slow turning 3 cylinder inboard. 33hp @ 1020 rpm, comes with both electric and recoil start for a backup.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #30
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The idea of using your main engine fuel to power your dinghy motor makes all kinds of sense. Unfortunately I think the available diesel outboards are just too heavy for use as dinghy motors. Heck, four cycle gasoline engines are borderline too heavy.

You could pull your main diesel out and replace it with a gasoline engine. Yeah I know, I wouldn't do it either.

I think the conclusion is that if you want to use your dinghy engine as a get home engine, you need to carry enough gasoline or propane to do the job.

For me, propane wins that choice. You already carry propane for cooking that could be used to power the outboard. Additional propane can be stored long term without going bad.

Gasoline is messier to handle, has a limited shelf life and you're introducing a third fuel that you have to carry.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #31
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Not sure why people think ethanol is that hard to use...been using it here in Jersey for 3 years now.

It sits in salvage pumps, extra fuel cans...etc...etc...I'm still burning the stuff I bought in Georgia last March in my 4 stroke outboard ( I do run it dry every time)....no issues.

If it's clean, you keep the water out of it and don't let it evaporate...not sure that it's the issue many make it out to be.

That said...sure I tow a lot of people that complain about the fuel...but no telling what they do or don't do to keep it OK.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #32

Thanks to everyone that has offered their info and opinions so far, I think my main question is answered. The diesels are heavy, discouraged or outlawed by the EPA, and pretty much unavailable through normal channels.
Thanks again, I'll be watching the thread for more.

Since no American manufacturer has offered EPA approved diesel outboards for the yachting/trawler market, the engineering required must be intense. It's just too hard to beat powerful and lightweight gasoline engines in small applications. Who wants a 150 lb diesel weed whip?
Lesson learned.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Thanks Robbie - it worked!

The other huge concern I would have is that the buyer is completely responsible for handling all issues with the Klaxon product once it leaves China. That may change in the future if they really catch on, which is iffy in my view.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Marietta
I watched the video for the Klaxon Diesel GHD-Series 40hp...that sucker was loud!!!!...
Irdiverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #35
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Here is a diesel outboard that comes with an unusual catamaran as well.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #36
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
These are diesel dinghies....

The little one is 10'4" long and 4'9" wide, power is a 13HP Beta. She's built of glued lapstrake plywood.

The larger one is 13'6" long and 5'6" wide, power is a 1GM Yanmar (9HP?). She has Mahogany planking copper-rivited to bent oak frames.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SSsisterssm.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	23391
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #37
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Tad, you draw pretty boats.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #38

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Why use an outboard? My tender, Seka, has a diesel inboard, was a BMW now is a Yanmar 1GM. Here's a link to a picture of her with her sistership Sophie: S&S sisters in Silva bay

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #39
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
I use a 2 h.p. yamaha 2 stroke

When fitting it to the dink you can cay "Hand me that outboard".

I only use it to get ashore. Why would I need a bigger outboard.

SD
Old 10-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #40
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Thanks to everyone that has offered their info and opinions so far, I think my main question is answered. The diesels are heavy, discouraged or outlawed by the EPA, and pretty much unavailable through normal channels.
Thanks again, I'll be watching the thread for more.

Since no American manufacturer has offered EPA approved diesel outboards for the yachting/trawler market, the engineering required must be intense. It's just too hard to beat powerful and lightweight gasoline engines in small applications. Who wants a 150 lb diesel weed whip?
Lesson learned.
I think that is not the real lesson here. EPA, Congress and the Administration (many of them) have reached a point where decisions are not made based on science. Case in point, it has been clear for over 20 years that if we really wanted the most efficient car we could make, it would be electric drive train with regenerative braking powered by a small diesel running at constant rpm (oh, what a coincidence, just like our boats)

Instead we have been making gasoline engines that are constantly more complicated to increase fuel economy.

It may not be the best dingy motor, just because we usually don't care about dingy efficiency. I want it as a get hone alternative.

Richard

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote