Old 01-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #61
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
RE: Deck Cranes and Dinghy Davits

Sent you a PM on this, Ted. *Didn't want to Shang-hi this thread any more than it already was.

healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #62

City: Bath, ON
The best solution

Hello,

Here from Atkins & Hoyle Ltd. Reading your post I can see you are in need of some davits or a crane. Here at Atkins & Hoyle we offer a wide variety of cranes deigned to fit in any mounting situation. Please visit our website at Atkinshoyle.com and click on "Cranes" "Model 3000" which can either be through deck, or rail mounted. You can also see our "Rotating Adjustable Rail-Mount" davits which can be adjusted to mount on your rounded transom, the model "1400" or "1900" would work well for you. Feel free to call or email us, we are eager to hear from you.

Thanks,
Eric Atkins

Eric_Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #63
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam /

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_atkins View Post
hello,

here from atkins & hoyle ltd. Reading your post i can see you are in need of some davits or a crane. Here at atkins & hoyle we offer a wide variety of cranes deigned to fit in any mounting situation. Please visit our website at atkinshoyle.com and click on "cranes" "model 3000" which can either be through deck, or rail mounted. You can also see our "rotating adjustable rail-mount" davits which can be adjusted to mount on your rounded transom, the model "1400" or "1900" would work well for you. Feel free to call or email us, we are eager to hear from you.

Thanks,
eric atkins
spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / vvspam / spam / vvspam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam /
Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #64
Veteran Member

City: Panama City Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Parra-dise
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MY
we used a 12 volt motor. We rigged it with a dedicated battery to prevent having to make long runs and to make it totally independent. we used a $40 solar charger from west marine to keep it charged and it worked like a dream
Baypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #65

City: Oakland,Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baypoint View Post
we used a 12 volt motor. We rigged it with a dedicated battery to prevent having to make long runs and to make it totally independent. we used a $40 solar charger from west marine to keep it charged and it worked like a dream
Smart
Lutarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #66
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I run a fair amount at night and my biggest concern is hitting floating debris from cargo ships. If you are passage making, you are running at night. . . . I want a steel hull with a real collision bulkhead. IMO, if you are not running at night, you don't need a passagemaker.

Ted
I have traveled thousands of miles offshore and have never seen anything big enough to do damage semi-submerged (ie, too low to return a decent radar echo) in the water more than 20 miles offshore. Day or night, I regard the risk of hitting a container offshore as negligible, but even during the day, I suspect that I am unlikely to see a semi-submerged container. I may be wrong about the remoteness of the risk of encountering a semi-submerged container (and I am not sure how much damage would be done to my hull if I hit it at 8.5 knots), but if the risk is to great to disregard, wouldn't one need a steel hulled vessel, day or night?
By the way, if we hit something and start taking on water, my plan is to grab the ditch bag (containing an EPIRB, VHF with GPS, and sat phone) and hop in my life raft. (Actually, if conditions permit, we will hop in my (boat deck mounted) dinghy and take the life raft with us.

MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote