Old 01-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #41
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Deck Cranes and Dinghy Davits

Quote:
Nomadwilly wrote:it is the only Nordhavn that is an attractive boat.
I agree and have spent a few days on a Nordy 46 about 9 years ago in the Sea of Cortez. My only complaint was the size of the cockpit. (TOO small) I love a generous cockpit on a boat as when the cruising is done, that's where I chill out.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 7th of January 2011 11:30:23 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	4092  

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #42
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Deck Cranes and Dinghy Davits

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

Actually, I find the Coot's forward-slanting windows to be attractive.* They are consistent with the boat's hull-lines which emulate those of*a*"working" trawler.

Working fishboats.....** The Coot (or GB or any other recreational "trawler")*they are not

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	halibut schooner.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	4093   Click image for larger version

Name:	troller.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	4094   Click image for larger version

Name:	seiner 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	4095  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #43
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Marin, I said the hull, not the superstructure, that resembles a working trawler.
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #44
Master and Commander

The worker, standing at the Coot's helmsman's position, is demonstrating the location of the vhf radio.* Note the greater*roominess of the pilothouse resulting from the forward-leaning windows.* Backward-leaning windows would have the front of the ceiling much closer to the radio.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 7th of January 2011 11:59:32 PM
Old 01-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #45
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

talk about hijacked thread!

No way the 50 ft waves Mark mentions are going to be a problem for a dinghy hanging off the stern. Its not the height of a wave that matters its the steepness. Those 50 footers are at least 500 ft crest to crest, and the chop on top is of more concern than the height of the wave. Then you look at the height of the dinghy off the water, take the maximum roll into account.
I'd still (and I do have stern mounted davits) put the dinghy off the stern before on the roof.
I have some great shots of my towed dinghy in steep 7 ft waves in Malaspina channel, surfing down towards the stern of my boat. In similar conditions, davit held dinghy is much more stable.

Mark, I also note the lack of dash space with your forward slanting windows. Where can you put your radio? Must you hang it from the roof?
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #46
Master and Commander

Koliver, a lot of those waves were breaking/cresting.

The Coot has plenty of dash.* There's even space for a good-sized chart table.* How long are your arms, anyway?*

(Someone else's Coot.)

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 8th of January 2011 01:24:32 AM
Old 01-08-2011, 02:28 AM   #47
Master and Commander

Quote:
Marin wrote:

* It's the forward-slanted windows that I think look stupid on boats like ours.* I understand the reasoning behind them but nobody's gonna be taking a SeaSport or an American Tug*or whatever from California to New Zealand except on the back of a freighter.* That's why we call them wannabe windows.

Some might feel forward-slanted windows are ugly and have no functional value.* Nevertheless, commercial vessels not venturing far from harbor sport them.* I don't believe this is a fashion statement but that they have positive functional value.

(Welcome to*Victoria, BC.)*
Old 01-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #48
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
markpierce wrote:Some might feel forward-slanted windows are ugly and have no functional value.* Nevertheless, commercial vessels not venturing far from harbor sport them.* I don't believe this is a fashion statement but that they have positive functional value.
I've spent quite a lot of time over the years researching this application and have
concluded that the above statement is valid. (IMHO)

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #49
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

You guy's don't get it. It's a FAD on yachts.
More space? Naw** ...who needs space way up high. just put the bottom of the windshield further fwd**** ...the same amount you would if you were making fwd slanted windshield
(WS). The space near the bottom of the WS is more usable than up high. Sun shade?
just build a roof overhang like Willy. Keeps the rain off. Works the same as fwd slant.
It's just like tail fins on a car.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #50
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Mark, I see it as "whatever blows your dress up".* That Coot is alot of boat for 35'.* You will get alot of economical enjoyment from it.* Looks good to me.
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #51
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
markpierce wrote:Nevertheless, commercial vessels not venturing far from harbor sport them.
Rght, but pilot boats, tugs, fireboats, rescue boats, etc. HAVE to go out no matter what the weather and water conditions are.* Coastal recreational boats don't.* When Puget Sound is mostly in the air from the wind and a ferry ride looks like this, folks aren't out there in their little toy GBs and Coots and Nordic Tugs.* Vertical or forward-raked windows can have a real benefit on days like this where the likelihood of taking solid water into the windows of a tug, rescue boat, etc. is very real.

I can see it on recreational boats that are designed for ocean work although I think it still looks ugly.* But on coastal cruisers like most of us have--- I agree with Eric.* It's a fad like tailfins.* Same reason our cabin cruisers were named "trawlers" by the marketing folks.* It's image and branding in the hopes of making another sale.* Like the guy who commutes to his job in the city from his house in the suburbs in a Hummer or a giant dualy pickup that never sees anything rougher than the bump at the entrance to his driveway.

We were filming in the control tower of Vancouver International Airport the week before Christmas.* While I was up there I asked the tower manager why all control towers have forward slanting windows, assuming the answer would be to reduce glare.* To my surprise he said it has nothing to do with glare at all.* It's to keep the rain off.* Control towers don't have windshield wipers.* It happened to be raining the night we were shooting and sure enough, the windows remained clear.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 8th of January 2011 11:13:38 AM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ferry.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	4099  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #52
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:

Mark, I see it as "whatever blows your dress up".* That Coot is alot of boat for 35'.* You will get alot of economical enjoyment from it.* Looks good to me.
I completely agree. The argument could be made that many elements of boats (other than fundamentals such as the pointy end usually is the bow) in the recreational class are fads. Mark likes the look. End of story.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #53
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

Quote:
koliver wrote:

talk about hijacked thread!

No way the 50 ft waves Mark mentions are going to be a problem for a dinghy hanging off the stern. Its not the height of a wave that matters its the steepness. Those 50 footers are at least 500 ft crest to crest, and the chop on top is of more concern than the height of the wave. Then you look at the height of the dinghy off the water, take the maximum roll into account.
I'd still (and I do have stern mounted davits) put the dinghy off the stern before on the roof.
I have some great shots of my towed dinghy in steep 7 ft waves in Malaspina channel, surfing down towards the stern of my boat. In similar conditions, davit held dinghy is much more stable.

Mark, I also note the lack of dash space with your forward slanting windows. Where can you put your radio? Must you hang it from the roof?
Last summer we were out in steep 8' seas on the nose with the occasional 10 - 12 footers giving us green water over the bow. Our dinghy sitting on the stern platform didn't even get wet. This on a 32 footer.

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #54
Master and Commander

Life would be boring if we all had the same views/tastes.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #55
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Quote:
O C Diver wrote:

Eric,
Nordhavens are f'ugly. They remind me of Hummer SUVs, worthless.*
Ted

Ted. *I don't think you'd appreciate my Hummer H2 with Nordhavn windshield conversion.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nordhavnhummer.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	4127  
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #56
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45

Healhustler,

I think I want your boat........or at least one like it. Doesn't seem like Krogen made very many North Sea Manatees. Really like your pilothouse as opposed to the standard one.

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
O C Diver wrote:

Healhustler,

I think I want your boat........or at least one like it. Doesn't seem like Krogen made very many North Sea Manatees. Really like your pilothouse as opposed to the standard one.

Ted
Ted, LOL. *I think you might be pulling my leg too, but for the record, Krogen says there are only six, which should say something about customer preference (since 93 others were made with the standard configuration). *We Manatee owners know we have style challenged boats that aren't going to win any beauty contests (but are sure to win Miss Congeniality).*

Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
healhustler wrote:Ted, LOL. I think you might be pulling my leg too, but for the record, Krogen says there are only six, which should say something about customer preference (since 93 others were made with the standard configuration). We Manatee owners know we have style challenged boats that aren't going to win any beauty contests (but are sure to win Miss Congeniality).
Are there any other differences with the North Sea version other than the pilothouse?

Ted

Old 01-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #59
Guru

Quote:
O C Diver wrote:
Are there any other differences with the North Sea version other than the pilothouse?

Ted

Outside of the North Sea style having a hard enclosure and the conventional style typically having soft side and rear enclosures, the rest of boat was pretty much the same. *Many of them were ordered with different touches here and there, but from the same one or two stateroom bulkhead layouts. *Power was 50 Perkins, 90 and 100 Volvos. *The only reason my boat has a 140 Yanmar is because it was switched out in '99 by a previous owner. *Don't know why.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #60
Guru

Quote:
healhustler wrote:
Outside of the North Sea style having a hard enclosure and the conventional style typically having soft side and rear enclosures, the rest of boat was pretty much the same. Many of them were ordered with different touches here and there, but from the same one or two stateroom bulkhead layouts. Power was 50 Perkins, 90 and 100 Volvos. The only reason my boat has a 140 Yanmar is because it was switched out in '99 by a previous owner. Don't know why.
Have looked at a fair amount of pics on Yacht World of the Manatee pilot house. Might be an interesting prodject to make a North Sea out of a regular Manatee. Remove the windows and roof, and build a new upper half including new doors.

Been reading everything I can on line about Manatees. Seems like a lot of them have had to have there hulls peeled. Do you know if yours was ever peeled?

Ted