Davits and inflatables?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I've got an Avon 310 RIB that came with our EB47. It rests on vee-shaped adjustable cradles mounted to a TNT hydraulic lift. It's a hypalon dinghy and showing signs of age. It's got a Yamaha 15hp 4-stoke.

Just last Season I'd bought a whole new zodiac with an inflatable bottom and a Torqeedo electric outboard.

I'd likely remove the Torqeedo when it's not in use, but at ~50lbs it's not like it'd reduce the weight by much.

I'm wondering if there's options for keeping an inflatable bottom dinghy on davits. Like the kind I've already got, or on others. I know the RIB works well on them but have no idea how an inflatable bottom would handle being stored that way. I'm just thinking ahead of time for when the seams on the Avon finally give out.

Weaver davits will work to keep it level and in the water at anchor. Make damn sure you get some “whips” to tension it away from the back of the transom. (Don’t throw away the ones you find on the boat that you can’t identify, like I did. ��)

I've got an Avon 310 RIB that came with our EB47. It rests on vee-shaped adjustable cradles mounted to a TNT hydraulic lift. It's a hypalon dinghy and showing signs of age. It's got a Yamaha 15hp 4-stoke.

Just last Season I'd bought a whole new zodiac with an inflatable bottom and a Torqeedo electric outboard.

I'd likely remove the Torqeedo when it's not in use, but at ~50lbs it's not like it'd reduce the weight by much.

I'm wondering if there's options for keeping an inflatable bottom dinghy on davits. Like the kind I've already got, or on others. I know the RIB works well on them but have no idea how an inflatable bottom would handle being stored that way. I'm just thinking ahead of time for when the seams on the Avon finally give out.

Avon 310 RIB!!!! You LUCKY GUY!

I have the same dinghy that I purchased new during the 1986 season. After use, I used to lug it onto my sailboat’s front deck using a halyard after removing an 8HP outboard, seats, fuel tank, anchor and so forth. Back in 2005 that nonsense came to an end when I purchased my 40 Silverton. At that time, I installed a davit crane and now Mr. Avon gets lifted to and from the water fully equipped for use.

That is one great dinghy. I have always kept mine covered when not in use. Just love the bilge it has to help keep our feet dry. NO WAY would I ever consider moving to an inflatable floor’d dinghy. Some of our friends are into their 3rd new dinghy over the time period we have owned ours.

We currently have a 12’ West Marine RIB. Before Hurricane Irma, we had a 10’8” Mercury RIB that came with the boat when we bought her in 2015. We LOVED that Mercury. Beamy as hell and easy to get on and off over the tubes. The West Marine, not so much. But, dinghies were damn hard to find after the hurricane. Leaving it in the water and clipped to the Weaver Davits would work on an inflatable bottom at anchor. You can add a lock to the davits and perhaps to the engine? Lifting it out of the water will require removal of the engine and probably won’t work for a soft floored dinghy (but might). We coveted dinghy cranes initially but after 3 years on the boat, probably would not have actually used it much based on our cruising areas, habits and home port. We do have a small crane for the engine. Very helpful. I think it all comes down to how big your wallet is right now.

Hurricane preparation for the RIB. Remove it from the davits. I am bow in so I move it around and secure it to the boat, 'under' the bow on the starboard flare, fill 1/2 way with water leaving the motor on the transom. I put water into the RIB to keep it from being blown about. It has worked fine for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom