Old 08-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: nowhere
11ft Whaler Knockoffs?

Besides the 11ft Boston Whaler, what other companies make smaller boats like these?

Or what would you recommend in this size range?
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I've been thinking about this one. There just up the road from me. Been meaning to go up and take a look.

Skiffs For Sale | Bluewater Baby | Your Boating Adventure Awaits!

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I'm a Whaler man, but have always thought the Livingstons, Sturdees and Bullfrogs were pretty cool little boats too.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:46 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I've been thinking about this one. There just up the road from me. Been meaning to go up and take a look.

Ted
Oh wow! That's a nice one!
Old 08-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Just not sure of the advantages over disadvantages of a glass boat over a RHIB when talking 11 feet. 14 feet and then I see the advantages creeping in.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Just not sure of the advantages over disadvantages of a glass boat over a RHIB when talking 11 feet. 14 feet and then I see the advantages creeping in.
More interior room.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

Quote:
More interior room, and less maintenance. PVC and hypalon degrade far faster than fiberglass in the sun.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
Guru

There's a list of advantages and disadvantages for both.

One can go round and round with them. It

But I don't see less maintenance.....maybe shorter lifespan....but mine gets washed and protectorant probably less than some wash and wax their hard dingies.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #9
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
The main thing, is that an 11 foot Whaler, is as close to an indestructible dinghy as you can get. We took one to the Bahamas twice, It laughed at nail ridden dinghy docks, razor sharp coral beaches, and raised outboards!
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #10
Guru

You have not seen enough whalers then.

More rep than substance ...but they are usually unsinkable...but some others are as well
Old 08-22-2018, 09:43 PM   #11
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
...but they are usually unsinkable...but some others are as well
All commercially manufactured boats 16' or less have to be unsinkable when swamped to get USCG approval for sale.

I know a guy who was importing a small FG boat from NZ. He had to jump through a lot of hoops with the USCG to demonstrate that his boat met the requirements including going out in the harbor and swamping it with various amounts of "damage" to prove that it would not sink.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:46 PM   #12
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Ted
You should check them out, Ted. One of the few dinghies approaching the quality of your Cherubini. We bought one from the previous owner/inventor of BWB, but—at about 500 lbs fully dressed out—we need to beef up our davit and boat deck before we can put it on the Defever. It has significant room inside—even with the console—for an 11-footer. The owner told us the new manufacturer is making them to a higher quality standard than he was able to.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:16 AM   #13
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
You have not seen enough whalers then.

More rep than substance ...but they are usually unsinkable...but some others are as well
I’m 60 years old and I’ve seen plenty. You need to go to a place like the Bahamas, where you see hundreds of very old, beat to hell, but still serviceable 11 though 17 foot Whalers in use by the locals ( and relatively very few other brands in use in that size range). When boats are 40 or more years old and still in daily hard use, nothing more needs to be said about their build quality.

And, no I don’t own a Whaler right now, but I’m looking for an old 13 or so to take on our next cruise.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #14
Guru

City: Seattle
toocoys do you really need a high quality and expensive dinghy? Gunna own it for 3-4 years then moving on in life? Do you have kids and grandkids who would love to jump, bang, beat up and sink it?

You can think about buying one or two of those plastic skiffs. They stack and are rather durable. Or how about a “boatstogo” inflatable or RIB?
Mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
All commercially manufactured boats 16' or less have to be unsinkable when swamped to get USCG approval for sale.

I know a guy who was importing a small FG boat from NZ. He had to jump through a lot of hoops with the USCG to demonstrate that his boat met the requirements including going out in the harbor and swamping it with various amounts of "damage" to prove that it would not sink.
I think it's 20 feet or less, and having salvaged plenty of sunk boats under 20 feet...not sure how well this requirement is enforced or paid attention to by builders....

From the CFRs....

Subpart G—Flotation Requirements for Outboard Boats Rated for Engines of More Than 2 HorsepowerSource:CGD 75-168, 42 FR 20243, Apr. 18, 1977, unless otherwise noted. General§ 183.201 Applicability. (a) This subpart applies to monohull outboard boats that are 1) Less than 20 feet in length; and(2) Rated for outboard engines of more than 2 horsepower.(b) This subpart does not apply to sailboats, canoes, kayaks, inflatable boats, submersibles, surface effect vessels, amphibious vessels, and raceboats. [CGD 75-168, 42 FR 20243, Apr. 18, 1977, as amended by USCG-1999-5832, 64 FR 34716, June 29, 1999]<A name=seqnum 183.202>§ 183.202 Flotation and certification requirements. Each boat to which this subpart applies must be manufactured, constructed, or assembled to pass the stability and flotation tests prescribed in §§ 183.225(a), 183.230(a), and 183.235(a).

I don't think Whalers are bad boats...like many higher end things in life....owners believe more in their rep than I have experienced. Especially being around USCG vessels and commercial vessels for over 35 years. I can remember when the USCG purged their fleets of whalers... although I think BW got a contract for USCG Reserve port security boats.

I would always buy a knockoff unless I needed yacht pretty.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:29 AM   #16
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Our 19' Hurricane got a recall notice from Godfrey Marine because it did not comply with USCG float regulations.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
You should check them out, Ted. One of the few dinghies approaching the quality of your Cherubini. We bought one from the previous owner/inventor of BWB, but—at about 500 lbs fully dressed out—we need to beef up our davit and boat deck before we can put it on the Defever. It has significant room inside—even with the console—for an 11-footer. The owner told us the new manufacturer is making them to a higher quality standard than he was able to.
I like what I see. Just trying to rationalize / justify $15K all in for a new dinghy versus $3,300 for a new outboard for the rubber ducky.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Metan Boats builds a Whaler knockoff. Saw them on Ship Shape TV. Looked very nice.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #19
Guru

City: Boston Area
I would not trust the "unsinkability" of a 40 year old whaler. Once their foam gets waterlogged, all bets are off.

That's a 16 foot Sturdee in my avatar. Very seaworthy at lower speeds. Borderline dangerous at higher speeds.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote