Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #41

City: South Puget Sound, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
So it appears that hypalon is far superior to PVC?
Yes, way superior. You can get some years out of PVC if you keep it out of the sun.

We had a Zodiac Zoom for 8 years and it was still OK but was starting to have some issues with seams. We only had it exposed to the sun a few weeks a year.

I would highly recommend the Weaver Davits or any good davit system that secures the dingy to the swim step when the dingy has been lowered into the boat. Until you try it its hard to realize just how much of a benefit it is to have the dingy secured tightly to the swimstep as you climb aboard with all your gear. Then when all aboard simply release the snap davits and you are away. Coming back aboard is just as easy. Just snap the dingy mounted loops to the swimstep davits and your are secured to the big boat again.

Best wishes.

Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #42
Guru

For non RIB inflatables, the floor alternatives marketed here are either wood slats or a removable inflatable floor, mine is the latter and it gives a firm floor which probably adds to overall rigidity. My inflatable also has a separately inflated keel.
The RIB type, usually using aluminum as the external underwater hull, are popular in areas like Queensland/Barrier Reef where reefs abound, elsewhere most people go for Hypalon/PVC.
The principal enemy of inflatables, especially the seams, is sun direct exposure. Some kind of cover when left stored and exposed for long periods should help.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #43
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
the other enemy is sand in the seams ...the floor works and grinds away every time you move the dink.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #44
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I have a 9.5 ft. AB brand RIB that is marine aluminum and is very lightweight. I have a 9.9 Yamaha on it and it is very dry and stable. Planes just fine with two and gear. Commercial tough and top quality, not the cheapest but in the long run cheapest is usually not.

Lammina (AL) - AB Inflatable Boats
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Florence
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Prima Seahorse
Is the proprietary fabric used by Achilles on HD-DX series hypalon ?Anyone used model with optional console ?
Short or long shaft recommended if either will fit deck ?
sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #46
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea hag View Post
Is the proprietary fabric used by Achilles on HD-DX series hypalon ?Anyone used model with optional console ?
Short or long shaft recommended if either will fit deck ?
If it's hypolon...it isn'tproprietary...as Avon has been using it for 35 years or more.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #47
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If it's hypolon...it isn'tproprietary...as Avon has been using it for 35 years or more.
Hypalon® is a registered trademark owned by DuPont for their chlorosulfonated polyethylene "CP" or "CSPE", a synthetic rubber used in the outer coating of inflatable boat fabrics. In the inflatable boat industry, fabric coated with similar forms of chlorosulfonated polyethylene are referred to as “CSM” fabric (ChloroSulfonated Material) and share the same properties of resistance to chemicals, temperature extremes and ultraviolet light.

In 2010, DuPont discontinued the production of their Hypalon® product. However, there are other manufacturers who will continue to produce their synthetic rubber for use in the production of CSM fabric.

CSM and Hypalon® are simply two names for the same chlorosulfonated polyethylene synthetic rubber coated fabric product. The trademark Hypalon® will likely continue to be used, colloquially, in reference to CSM fabrics for years to come.

No inflatable boats from any manufacturer will be made with Hypalon® as the product is no longer being produced. They will be made of CSM with names like Penell Orca 215, Achilles CSM etc. You can bet the marketing guys will dream up many more too.

What is important is to buy boats constructed of CSM (formerly Hypalon®) and not PVC which has a shorter life. It used to be easy because the choice was either Hypalon® or PVC. Now it might not be as obvious. You will need to do more homework.

I have 12-year old Avon Rover RIB and the Hypalon® fabric and seams are still in terrific shape. It will probably last another 10 or more years with normal care. It's a shame Avon no longer manufacture small boats. They only make SeaSport Jet RIB Tenders and Liferafts now.

LarryM
m/v Boomarang
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #48
FF
Guru

If you are cruising in rotten areas finding or purchasing a second dink is a good idea.

If it just floats at all thats fine as it being tied to your stern may fool the locals that someone is still on board. A LED light inside and a portable radio operating helps too.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #49
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
I have a Tinker Tramp, (originally a sailing, rowed or powered inflatable), but the mast now performs well as the pole for the Airbreeze wind genny, so now it's row or power with 2.5hp Honda.
The point being, it is made of the original Hypalon, and I bought it in 1985, and it's still going strong. Its only weakness is the mushroom type valves always slow leak, so it always needs a quick pump up before we leave the dock.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #50
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Oh my. Three pages and lots of options...

?????? Well it IS inflatable...and it WILL fit in a dinghy...
Old 10-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #51
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Walker Bay Rigid Inflatable Dinghy

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one in this subject thread,...or did I miss it?

Rigid Inflatable Dinghy : Walker Bay

Has anyone first hand experience with these vessels?

How is the 'inflatible collar' attached?
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #52
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Oh my. Three pages and lots of options...

?????? Well it IS inflatable...and it WILL fit in a dinghy...

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #53

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: No Plans
Vessel Model: 1965 TollyCraft Voyager
I went thru this two years ago. I purchased a Zoom (by Zodiac) 8 footer with slat floor. I run two dock lines thru my swim platform, and with the flick of a wrist I get them under the bow and stern of the dink. Pull ever so easily from the cockpit and up comes the dink to ride on the platform. I tie the ends to cleats on the transom top. So simple. Purchased a Honda 2 hp which ways about 29 lbs. We use the dink here in Puget Sound with me, wifey and our toddler. No regrets so far. Got the Zoom with aluminum slats on ebay. Got the Honda on Craigslist. Total = less that $1K
MVNoPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #54
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I've got about the same rubber Duckie. *' slat floor by West Marine. It's been on the cabin top but I rarely use it. No place to stand up there. It's too hard to handle on the roof.

Your system is super simple but have a hard time thinking about how ugly Willy would look w the rubber thing sideways on the stern. And the performance of the "thing" is so pathetic I really think I need a real boat for a dinghy. But your system sounds excellent for a minimal shore boat system.

I wonder if the high wetted surface of the duckie would cause more drag than a hard dink w appropriate bottom when towed?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #55
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I don't have a dinghy, but am considering one. My cockpit bimini is also nearing the end of its life. I've been considering whether I can kill two birds with one stone; - mounting an inflatable above the cockpit, using my boom to hoist it up there.
Has anyone seen an arrangement such as this?
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #56
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Benefits of going inflatable;

Old 10-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #57
Guru

Rigidity in an inflatable relates to the exterior bottom material, not the internal floor.
Aluminium ( how we spell and pronounce it, to the mirth of Americans I met cycling in Ireland) is common. RIBs are most used here in the tropics where coral is encountered
For internal floors, we often get a choice between slats and an "airdeck' inflatable floor, I have the latter which inflates to near rock hard and been good so far.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #58
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
You may be interested in this Dux type which uses tunnel technology for very stable and slick ride.
Duxling D-300S

A nice write up by an owner here...
The ultimate sailing - Dinghy/Tender?
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #59

City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1983 45' CHB Europa Trawler
I am enjoying this thread. We have a lot of kids and they have friends! We bought an AMI dinghy which is PVC and a catamaran. It is 15'6" and weighs 400 lbs with the aluminum floor and 30hp Honda. She can carry 2400lbs and is rated for 10 people. We have towed her all over the sound with not a problem... Just brought her home for the winter today!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-885651072.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	24127   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3660399860.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	24128   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1628599092.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	24129  
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #60
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
is

Whatever inflatable you get make certain that it has large diameter tubes. 17" is good. Makes for dry ride and comfortable seating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hilton Head with Grandkids '11 005.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	24132  

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote