Best Inflatable for a Dinghy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How can you tell if they're hypalon or not?

Manufacturer and model and check on-line???

If you are really pressed...you might have to call or send an mail......

Best inflatable I ever had was a Brig Hypalon with the rigid hull. 10 foot boat with an 8 hp mariner would go 25+ miles an hour and turn on a dime. Sold that boat long ago and wish I had it back. Running a 10 foot Coastal PVC boat with an air floor now. 3.3 merc on that and it is very slow but gets the job done. The Brig now goes for about $3200.00 and I bought the coastal for $600.00 new as a leftover. Its all about what you want the boat to do. currently the PVC boat gets the job done for me back and forth to the mooring. I used to fish out of the Brig. Leon

Best inflatable I ever had was a Brig Hypalon with the rigid hull. 10 foot boat with an 8 hp mariner would go 25+ miles an hour and turn on a dime. Sold that boat long ago and wish I had it back. Running a 10 foot Coastal PVC boat with an air floor now. 3.3 merc on that and it is very slow but gets the job done. The Brig now goes for about $3200.00 and I bought the coastal for $600.00 new as a leftover. Its all about what you want the boat to do. currently the PVC boat gets the job done for me back and forth to the mooring. I used to fish out of the Brig. Leon

Thanks for the input. Maybe a PVC is in the cards. We are looking to move up in 2-3 years and I always sell everything with the boat.

After owning several dingys I finally went with a Nautica RIB and just replaced the prop and tested it yesterday at Lake Havasu - 34mph @ 5000RPM.

Today in anticipation of a 1700 mile tow to TN it cost $125.00 for two new tires and $20.00 to have the wheel bearings repacked.

What ever tender you get just make sure it fits your need otherwise it will take up very valuable space. On a boat similar to yours I bought a Baltic inflatable and a Yamaha 9.9 layed on a set of slip on slip off davits mounted on the swim platform - worked very well and was not that expensive and it stayed clear of the water with easy access.

Attachments

• IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
My dingy is a MFG 12 footer - $100
2011 8 hp four stroke (used) - $1000

Attachments

• tumblr_mf0zw6ZFbH1s0vy7eo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mf0zw6ZFbH1s0vy7eo1_1280.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 115
  • tumblr_mi2fqtq74r1s0vy7eo3_400.jpg
    tumblr_mi2fqtq74r1s0vy7eo3_400.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Pic of the beach is Blackbeard's Island in Ga.

So it appears that hypalon is far superior to PVC?

Yes, way superior. You can get some years out of PVC if you keep it out of the sun.

We had a Zodiac Zoom for 8 years and it was still OK but was starting to have some issues with seams. We only had it exposed to the sun a few weeks a year.

I would highly recommend the Weaver Davits or any good davit system that secures the dingy to the swim step when the dingy has been lowered into the boat. Until you try it its hard to realize just how much of a benefit it is to have the dingy secured tightly to the swimstep as you climb aboard with all your gear. Then when all aboard simply release the snap davits and you are away. Coming back aboard is just as easy. Just snap the dingy mounted loops to the swimstep davits and your are secured to the big boat again.

Best wishes.

For non RIB inflatables, the floor alternatives marketed here are either wood slats or a removable inflatable floor, mine is the latter and it gives a firm floor which probably adds to overall rigidity. My inflatable also has a separately inflated keel.
The RIB type, usually using aluminum as the external underwater hull, are popular in areas like Queensland/Barrier Reef where reefs abound, elsewhere most people go for Hypalon/PVC.
The principal enemy of inflatables, especially the seams, is sun direct exposure. Some kind of cover when left stored and exposed for long periods should help.

the other enemy is sand in the seams ...the floor works and grinds away every time you move the dink.

I have a 9.5 ft. AB brand RIB that is marine aluminum and is very lightweight. I have a 9.9 Yamaha on it and it is very dry and stable. Planes just fine with two and gear. Commercial tough and top quality, not the cheapest but in the long run cheapest is usually not.

Lammina (AL) - AB Inflatable Boats

Is the proprietary fabric used by Achilles on HD-DX series hypalon ?Anyone used model with optional console ?
Short or long shaft recommended if either will fit deck ?

Is the proprietary fabric used by Achilles on HD-DX series hypalon ?Anyone used model with optional console ?
Short or long shaft recommended if either will fit deck ?

If it's hypolon...it isn'tproprietary...as Avon has been using it for 35 years or more.

If it's hypolon...it isn'tproprietary...as Avon has been using it for 35 years or more.

Hypalon® is a registered trademark owned by DuPont for their chlorosulfonated polyethylene "CP" or "CSPE", a synthetic rubber used in the outer coating of inflatable boat fabrics. In the inflatable boat industry, fabric coated with similar forms of chlorosulfonated polyethylene are referred to as “CSM” fabric (ChloroSulfonated Material) and share the same properties of resistance to chemicals, temperature extremes and ultraviolet light.

In 2010, DuPont discontinued the production of their Hypalon® product. However, there are other manufacturers who will continue to produce their synthetic rubber for use in the production of CSM fabric.

CSM and Hypalon® are simply two names for the same chlorosulfonated polyethylene synthetic rubber coated fabric product. The trademark Hypalon® will likely continue to be used, colloquially, in reference to CSM fabrics for years to come.

No inflatable boats from any manufacturer will be made with Hypalon® as the product is no longer being produced. They will be made of CSM with names like Penell Orca 215, Achilles CSM etc. You can bet the marketing guys will dream up many more too.

What is important is to buy boats constructed of CSM (formerly Hypalon®) and not PVC which has a shorter life. It used to be easy because the choice was either Hypalon® or PVC. Now it might not be as obvious. You will need to do more homework.

I have 12-year old Avon Rover RIB and the Hypalon® fabric and seams are still in terrific shape. It will probably last another 10 or more years with normal care. It's a shame Avon no longer manufacture small boats. They only make SeaSport Jet RIB Tenders and Liferafts now.

LarryM
m/v Boomarang

If you are cruising in rotten areas finding or purchasing a second dink is a good idea.

If it just floats at all thats fine as it being tied to your stern may fool the locals that someone is still on board. A LED light inside and a portable radio operating helps too.

I have a Tinker Tramp, (originally a sailing, rowed or powered inflatable), but the mast now performs well as the pole for the Airbreeze wind genny, so now it's row or power with 2.5hp Honda.
The point being, it is made of the original Hypalon, and I bought it in 1985, and it's still going strong. Its only weakness is the mushroom type valves always slow leak, so it always needs a quick pump up before we leave the dock.

Greetings,
Oh my. Three pages and lots of options...
img_177755_0_ed69ab5c309cc00fb993cd75c19d6289.jpg

?????? Well it IS inflatable...and it WILL fit in a dinghy...

I went thru this two years ago. I purchased a Zoom (by Zodiac) 8 footer with slat floor. I run two dock lines thru my swim platform, and with the flick of a wrist I get them under the bow and stern of the dink. Pull ever so easily from the cockpit and up comes the dink to ride on the platform. I tie the ends to cleats on the transom top. So simple. Purchased a Honda 2 hp which ways about 29 lbs. We use the dink here in Puget Sound with me, wifey and our toddler. No regrets so far. Got the Zoom with aluminum slats on ebay. Got the Honda on Craigslist. Total = less that $1K

Last edited:
I've got about the same rubber Duckie. *' slat floor by West Marine. It's been on the cabin top but I rarely use it. No place to stand up there. It's too hard to handle on the roof.

Your system is super simple but have a hard time thinking about how ugly Willy would look w the rubber thing sideways on the stern. And the performance of the "thing" is so pathetic I really think I need a real boat for a dinghy. But your system sounds excellent for a minimal shore boat system.

I wonder if the high wetted surface of the duckie would cause more drag than a hard dink w appropriate bottom when towed?

I don't have a dinghy, but am considering one. My cockpit bimini is also nearing the end of its life. I've been considering whether I can kill two birds with one stone; - mounting an inflatable above the cockpit, using my boom to hoist it up there.
Has anyone seen an arrangement such as this?

Rigidity in an inflatable relates to the exterior bottom material, not the internal floor.
Aluminium ( how we spell and pronounce it, to the mirth of Americans I met cycling in Ireland) is common. RIBs are most used here in the tropics where coral is encountered
For internal floors, we often get a choice between slats and an "airdeck' inflatable floor, I have the latter which inflates to near rock hard and been good so far.

I am enjoying this thread. We have a lot of kids and they have friends! We bought an AMI dinghy which is PVC and a catamaran. It is 15'6" and weighs 400 lbs with the aluminum floor and 30hp Honda. She can carry 2400lbs and is rated for 10 people. We have towed her all over the sound with not a problem... Just brought her home for the winter today!

Attachments

• image-885651072.jpg
    image-885651072.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 123
  • image-3660399860.jpg
    image-3660399860.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 105
  • image-1628599092.jpg
    image-1628599092.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 109
is

Whatever inflatable you get make certain that it has large diameter tubes. 17" is good. Makes for dry ride and comfortable seating.

Attachments

• Hilton Head with Grandkids '11 005.jpg
    Hilton Head with Grandkids '11 005.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 124
Back
Top Bottom