Best adhesive for reattaching rub rails to inflatable ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
And technique to hold the rub rail in place while it dries ? (duct tape ??) This on 2006 vintage Avon Seasport 360 Deluxe.

Nothing on manufacturers website , instruction manual or possible by email?

My old hypalon Avons would do pretty good withing plain old contact cement..but there is better stuff available....

Sailrite sells some of the stuff recommended by several inflatable companies...HH-66 cement...says it is for vinyl so I would be hesitant to use on hypalon if that is what you have without manufacturer approval.

Weaver davits requires gluing on a large pad that carries their attachment bracket. It takes a lot of force and I bet the adhesive they sell works very well. See the following for PVC and Hypalon adhesives:
Weaver Industries, Inc.: Adhesives

Prep is important. We reattached the rub rail on an Avon. As per the experts we used toluene to take the old glue off and then used a two part glue as per Avon. The prep was a giant pita having to wear gloves and a respirator. The glue is similar to contact cement with the application to both the dinghy and the rub rail. After waiting the appropriate time, the rub rail was attached to the inflatable and other than pressing it on hard there was nothing else to do. The inflatable was hypolon.

Haha! I had to laugh. We have the same inflatable, same year, and our stbd rub rail is held in place with duct tape. We've done numerous patches on that tube, and we're done now, we're picking up a new tender this winter. However yes toluene or acetone to get the old glue off. then sand lightly and clean it with alcohol (it'll also get any of your hand oil off the fabric) then use a 2 part Hypalon glue to reattach. The one we used, per instructions, we applied to both sides, then 30 mins later we reapplied to both sides and then 5 mins after that we stuck them together with as much force as you can. A few clamps and two boards did the trick nicely.

Haha! I had to laugh. We have the same inflatable, same year, and our stbd rub rail is held in place with duct tape. We've done numerous patches on that tube, and we're done now, we're picking up a new tender this winter. However yes toluene or acetone to get the old glue off. then sand lightly and clean it with alcohol (it'll also get any of your hand oil off the fabric) then use a 2 part Hypalon glue to reattach. The one we used, per instructions, we applied to both sides, then 30 mins later we reapplied to both sides and then 5 mins after that we stuck them together with as much force as you can. A few clamps and two boards did the trick nicely.
I'm getting a mixed message in your post... on the one hand you indicate the glue worked nicely but on the other hand you indicate the rub rail is now held in place with duct tape ! Do you mean the glue works nicely for perhaps one season but then deterioates ?

FWIW, I bought a 2 part hypalon adhesive at WW and tested it on a small area of the rub rail (about 6 inches length of the end of it on port side) without doing any cleaning at all. To my surprise it seems to hold very well...but time will tell I guess.

Last edited:
oh no, the damn seam in the tube keeps bursting open at different points. Anyplace we patch this way has been fine, absolutely no problems. I think the original cement used is breaking down for some reason. We stopped gluing the rubrail to make it easier to get to the seam behind it.

Last edited:
Prep is important. We reattached the rub rail on an Avon. As per the experts we used toluene to take the old glue off
Will toluene dissolve old one part adhesive..... or is it like removing the residue from vinyl lettering, where nothing will dissolve it, but only softens it enough to roll into little balls ?

Will toluene dissolve old one part adhesive..... or is it like removing the residue from vinyl lettering, where nothing will dissolve it, but only softens it enough to roll into little balls ?

It really only softens it so you can work it off. It is a pia to say the least.

I've had good luck with 5200
Could you elaborate on that ? For example do you mean reattaching an entire rub rail or just securing one loose area ? And did you use regular 5200 or the fast drying version ? And how long ago did you use it and what sort of conditions has it held up in ? (in other words, would be more impressive if it has stayed put for 10 years in Florida sun versus 2 years in a garage in the Northeast)

It seems like 5200 should work well for this purpose but every inflatable repair expert I mention it to says it won't work for long....doesn't stick to the PVC based rub rail well enough and not real sticky on the hypalon either.

One alternative I read about is 3M 08001 Superweatherstrip and Gasket adhesive but dunno the long term results on that either.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom