Any feedback on Honda outboards?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jleonard

Guru
I am considering a Honda 15 hp for my new dink.
Anyone have any feedback to share about the smaller Honda outboards?*
Thanks in advance.*

I have had Honda 4 strokes for the past twelve years, with only one problem, and that was water in the fuel. No fault of the Honda. I have had my current 15 horse for seven or eight years, and it still runs great. You really can't go wrong with Honda or Yamaha, and for that matter, most new outboards. Mercury did, and may still use Yamaha powerheads for their small four strokes.

-- Edited by Carey on Monday 20th of September 2010 11:49:05 AM

I think most mainstream brands are very decent. If you were to split hairs, I would think Yamaha would come out on top. I just bought a 15hp 6 months ago and put my money where my mouth is. Why are you leaning towards Honda???

"Why are you leaning towards Honda???"

Weight, they are lighter than Merc and it will only get heavier each year.
Merc would be my second choice mainly because our marina is a merc dealer and it would be convenient if I had an issue.
I put Yamaha down the list only because I had read about some folks having issues with old fuel. I know that can affect all brands but from what I remember reading the Yamahas seemed to get it worse.
Of course I'm sure they all have improved in that regard in the past couple of years or they would not survive.

Baker wrote:"I would think Yamaha would come out on top."
I was on an expedition boat a few years back, cruising SE Alaska. The captain of the boat,* who lived on a sail boat in Friday harbor,
had been researching outboard engines. He had talked with a lot of fishermen who run them for a living. I mentioned Honda, which I like, & he told me that the guys in Alaska that run OBs for a living swear by Yamaha. I think you can't go too far wrong with either.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 21st of September 2010 09:34:11 AM

Bad fuel WILL EFFECT ANY OUTBOARD. I wouldn't make your decision on that basis.

Carey wrote:

Amen to that. *I had a Mercury that was stolen that I had been fighting fuel issues for the last coupla years. *My only wish is that the new illegitimate owners are having the same issue. *I have a friend that has the same motor and is having the exact same issue.

I think I read that Yamaha uses better metals that stand up to the marine environment a little better. *Don't know if that is true or not....

Carey wrote:

I am not making my decision on that basis. Fuel degradation and the effects of ethanol are huge. Hoses delaminate, epoxies degrade and fail, tiny orifices get clogged. Most of the companies should be getting a handle on that by now.
*Thank you all for your valuable input. This will help me make a choice.

-- Edited by jleonard on Tuesday 21st of September 2010 06:37:35 AM

I wish that the lower HP would all go to Injection instead of Carbs.* That seems to stop the fuel problems.* If clean fuel is used that is.

I don't know what the lowest HP injected engine is right now.* 20HP or so?

I don't know JD but I don't think they go that small. I am thinking around 40 or 50hp??? Are you talking 2 or 4 stroke???

Probably 4 stroke again.

I used to have a 4hp Merc - 2 stroke of course as it was a 1978 model, and it always gave trouble after a lay-up. Stale oil-mixed fuel, fouled plugs - you name it.
When it died, I got a Honda 2hp 4 stroke. Ok, too small for a larger dinghy, or for those in a hurry, but for a dinghy up to 10 ft, and not in a hurry, it is fantastic. No more old oiled fuel and plug issues, starts first or second pull every time, even if not used for months, light to lift on and off (12 kg only), and, almost best of all, air-cooled, so no mucking about flushing. I love it. They are 2.3hp now I believe - big deal.

My current 2 stroke Evinrude 8 will always start on the first or second pull for me.* It's a 97 bought new in 99 and has never been apart except for 4 pull cords and a 2 sets of plugs. Wife doesn't "get it" though as it takes her 1/2 dozen pulls.
I wish I could still buy a 2 stroke.

I heard that new 2 stroke Mariners are still*sold in Canada. Anyone know anything about that?*

I did finally score on a 2 stroke Yamaha 15 hp.
Found one locally that was bought new in March of this year. Has about 5 hours on it and still smells new.
Got it for $1800 cash.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom