Old 06-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #21

City: Greenville, SC
Max, I'm coming late to the game, did you figure out what was wrong? I have an '86 9.9 Johnson, which should be very similar to yours and I had the same issue that I could make it run by playing with the choke. I cleaned the carb (used aerosol carb cleaner) and also bought the carb rebuilt kit. That fixed the problem for me. My carb looked very clean even before I cleaned it, but I suppose with these small passages it doesn't take much. I read somewhere else that a good carb cleaner is to let the whole carb soak overnight in Pinesol. I haven't tried that myself.

3288MY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #22
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
after u chek your fuel lines tank, filter, etc, make sure your low idle jets are clean, even if you just replaced them, make sure you inspect them again.

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
You didn't say and no one asked ... when you squeezed the fuel bulb, did it get hard?

Disconnect the fuel line at the engine and use a thin screwdriver or something similar to depress the ball on the check valve on the fuel line connector while squeezing the bulb. Do you get a good flow? If so then the issue is on the engine and not your fuel line or tank.

Open the drain on the carb bowl after pumping the bulb. Do you get fuel? Does fuel flow from the drain as you pump the bulb?

Does fuel flow from the drain as you pull the start cord? If not then check the on engine fuel pump.

But, since you say it runs off the fuel you put in the cylinder directly, and if all the tests above show fuel being delivered to the carb then your problem is in a clogged passage in the carb body. Take it off and start again, this time use a very thin soft wire to probe all passages and use compressed air to blow out all the ports and passages. Check all the diaphragms and needles.

With the air cleaner off, cover the air inlet to the carb with your hand while pulling the start cord, do you get a good suction? when you crank rapidly is there air blowing back out?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #24
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Since my last post, I have re-adjusted the float, and in the process broke the float bowl (pay attention to the tightening sequence). Replace the bowl and now It will turn over without priming the cylinders, still won't run. I suspect that there is air getting in the line. The fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb utilizes a plastic elbow and when I pump the the priming bulb, I hear air coming from there.
There are plastic clamps, similar to zip ties, and one is cracked. Plan on replacing these. Any reason why a small hose clamp would not work?
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #25
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
And the winner is.................FF!
Took the carb apart again, soaked it in laquer thinner for 3 days (actually forgot about it) re-assembed and fire off on second pull, idles well and no monkeying with the choke.
This really surprised me because I felt that you could see all the passages and they all looked clean. Anyway, it's now on Craigslist and ready for it's next adventure.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Re FFs recommendation ..

Why use lacquer thinner when there is a product especially made for that purpose ... carburetor cleaner. Nasty stuff.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote