Aluminum RIB dinghy's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshanafelt

Vessel Name
Isobel K
Vessel Make
37' Custom Pilothouse
I am going to replace my dinghy this year. Mainly due to its weight.
It is a Caribe c-8 and is supposed to weigh 120lbs. Actually told it weighs around 130, which I believe having had to try to drag it around a few times.

other than the weight, the dinghy has done very well for 10 years and is in really good condition - hypalon tubes which are covered except during the summer for cruising has helped I am sure.

I am looking at aluminum dinghys with similar length 8'6" and tube size 16-17" and find these weigh from 80lbs with a single floor to 100lbs with a double floor(flat). Only interested in hypalon fabric.

Prices range from $2200 for the chinese made units to $4500 for the S. American (AB) boats.

The single floor vs. double floor affects the price range within the mfg's.

Has anybody purchased one of the chinese boats? Highfield is one brand, Typhoon another. Raider a third.

Attachments

• CL260-1.jpg
    CL260-1.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 138
  • typhoon.jpg
    typhoon.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 150
I have the nine and a half foot AB lumina which has the commercial grade aluminum hull. I am very happy with it. They make a lighter-weight version with thinner aluminum in around the same size that is right at 95 pounds or so. excellent quality AB makes a good inflatable. I have a 9.9 Yamaha and it powers it fine. My davits are on the upper deck and I wanted the package to be no more then 11' and weigh less then 200 lbs. I am pleased with my purchase of a year ago. I really like AB inflatables.

Has anyone had one of these units down in the tropics? All I can think of is third degree burns where you sit, and I am not referring to a location in the dinghy? gts1544 - George

If Chinese manufacture is the concern, I have one claimed to be from South Korea. Mine is 7 years old and fine but it has a local brand, which won`t help you.
George, never heard of or experienced the tubes, or seats, of an inflatable too hot to sit on. The tubes sit in cold water. Aluminum dinghy seats can get v. hot from sun.

Back
Top Bottom