City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
I second getting it locally.

Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
It's not just less hassle getting it locally, it also supports the local shops that we depend on at times.
I think of when Home Depot moves into a small town. First thing - no more hardware stores. Now of we need a small part, the inferior stuff comes in a bubble pack. And that's only if we are lucky. Otherwise we get to hunt it down on the internet and get to pay shipping and wait several days to 2 weeks for delivery.
Internet buying has a long term down side that we don't realize until we need stuff. "Sending Away" takes us back to the 1950's and I don't like to backslide.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #23
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Thanks for all the replies
For the $150 difference I would rather support someone local.
Excellent idea. I'd do the 150 bucks too, especially if the dealer was a good one.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
We think alike Tony. Your Home Depot example applies to WalMart equally.

Stop allowing the local guy a fair margin, don't be surprised when he's no longer in business.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post
To those of you advocating a 2 stroke. Where do you buy one in today's green environment? Before I bought my new Tohutsu 9.9 I looked all over trying to find a 2 stroke as light weight was a main criteria for me.

I kept my eye on Craigslist for a long time and seldom saw a 2 stroke for sale that wasn't older than me. I eventually discovered that the Tohatsu 9.9 was only about 5 lbs heavier than a 2 stroke so I said to myself, why put up with a noisy 2 stroke and the oil in gas mess to save 5 lbs.

Correct if I am wrong, but I don't think you can buy a new 2 stroke in this country.

Ron
I shopped hard on Craig's list and finally found a almost zero hour 2 stroke. But I think I was lucky at the time. It's much more than a 5 lb savings, and the Yamaha is very quiet. To each his own.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #26

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Takahoa
Vessel Model: Pelin Crusader 42 ft
For the specifications of both 2 and 4 stroke outboards check the Tohatsu NZ site. Comparing the 9.8 hp models I see that the 2 stroke is about 57 lb while the 4 stroke is 81.8 in weight.
timj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Panama City Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Parra-dise
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MY
We went with the electric start for the Admiral. The battery goes under one of the seats and is not in the way. Also a nice benefit is we installed a bilge pump with a manual switch so no more bailing after a windstorm. We used the smallest 12 volt battery we could find.
Baypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #28

City: cambridge
Vessel Name: Change Order
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
I find this engine info interesting as we just acquired a Walker Bay 11ft RIB with our recent boat purchase but no motor. I was going to put 15 Yamaha 4 stroke W/ elec start as the dingy is equipped with pivoting motor mount and hyd. pivot on the transom. What kind of performance can I expect? I want to run against a 4 knot currant, or into a 20mph headwind and still plane,,,wife 150lb,,,me 210lb. As a pickup truck it will haul groceries,ice and beer. Also this dingy is 2006 and in good shape, just dirty.,what/how can I clean it up? I don't know if it's hypolon or not but it has a 'pebble texture' surface. As you can tell, I'm new at this dingy business so I wanted some advice from you 'veterans'.
bravo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo6 View Post
I find this engine info interesting as we just acquired a Walker Bay 11ft RIB with our recent boat purchase but no motor. I was going to put 15 Yamaha 4 stroke W/ elec start as the dingy is equipped with pivoting motor mount and hyd. pivot on the transom. What kind of performance can I expect? I want to run against a 4 knot currant, or into a 20mph headwind and still plane,,,wife 150lb,,,me 210lb. As a pickup truck it will haul groceries,ice and beer. Also this dingy is 2006 and in good shape, just dirty.,what/how can I clean it up? I don't know if it's hypolon or not but it has a 'pebble texture' surface. As you can tell, I'm new at this dingy business so I wanted some advice from you 'veterans'.
Your combination should plane. We have a 15 hp 2 stroke Yamaha on 10.5 foot RIB. It has no problem planning with 3 adults. With one person you will be stern heavy until you get it up on a plane with the 4 stroke and battery though. We cruised with someone that put 40 lbs of lead in the bow to help level it off and also to get on a plane sooner.

It will be a bumpy ride if you are going into 20 knots of wind but your wife will let you know that.

There are commercial cleaners for dinghies that work pretty well. We tried one this spring for the first time and was surprised how well it worked. Ask at a marine store.

Get you model number and go online or email Walker Bay to find out if it's hypalon or not.

Enjoy the new ride.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #30
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Try oven cleaner, easyoff.

Oven cleaner, lye is effective on hypalon and polyvinyl if used carefully.
I have a 20hp Yamaha 4cycle pull start and a Mercury 15hp 2cycle on 10' ribs. The Merc feels half as heavy as the Yamaha, starts easier and out performs the Yamaha. The Yamaha's only upside is a quiet idle and less fumes at idle. My 20hp Yamaha just barely planes three adults or two adults and two medium sized dogs, 'the Mercury has no problem planing with four adults and has at least a couple of miles per hour over the Yamaha at top end.
The Yamaha has one really annoying feature with their tilt latch, it has to operated to either allow automatic kick back for beaching or to return from a tilted position to full down. This operates automatically on the Mercury. The throttle on the Mercury twists for forward or reverse with a handy kill switch on the the end of the handle. Yamaha has a separate forward and reverse lever which requires using a second hand to operate or letting go of the tiller to use. The kill switch is also a second hand reach similar to the shift lever.
At full throttle the sound level is probably at the same level.
I believe Evinrude has just started production on small direct injected pull start outboards that don't require a battery. These motors if the perform like the larger direct injected two stroke engines would be fuel efficient and top performers.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #31

City: cambridge
Vessel Name: Change Order
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
9.9hp dingy motor question

Thanks for the answers guys. I have been to the Yamaha website, seems the 15 and 20hp are the same size in cc and same weight, so I think I would go with the 20. As for cleaning, will try to clean it up this weekend.
bravo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #32
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Avoid products with silicon/Teflon as they reportedly reduce the effectiveness of glued seams/parts...such as Armor All....

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote