Old 01-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Corio
Vessel Name: Kittyhawk
Vessel Model: Careel 22
Seeking Timber Defever Info'

Can anyone tell me if a 1970, 50' Timber DeFever Trawler has a semi displacement or a full displacement type hull and what would be the diesel burn PH at cruise speed with a 330HP Caterpillar Engine (model 330D).

Thanking you in advance for your advice.

Bill
Australia
kando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #2

City: EC FL
Hello,

In my experience all of Mr. DeFevers designs, commercial and pleasure are semi-displacement. There are a few that are flat out planning boats though.

Have I seen every hull Mr. DeFever designed? Of course not.

Mr DeFever is still with us, still lucid, and answers questions. I just got a letter from him a month ago regarding my rudder saga.

He does not do email. He does do fax, but I don’t have his fax number. You might find it by searching DeFever/Sharp design office San Diego CA USA

Write to

Mr. A. DeFever
2740 Shelter Island Dr.
San Diego, Ca. 92103

I’d do it soon though, he’s 93. Send it airmail, if there is still such a thing.

Mike
Palm Coast FL
Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
We have wooden 1971 Defever, 54 foot. It is considered to be a semi-displacement hull. Not sure why. You wouldn't think so when looking at it out of the water. It also has the Cat D330 twin engines. They are turbo charged 4 cylinder engines but only rated at 120hp each. Are you sure your's is 300 hp?
Attached Thumbnails
On the hard 2009.jpg  
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

DeFever 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
We have wooden 1971 Defever, 54 foot. It is considered to be a semi-displacement hull. Not sure why. You wouldn't think so when looking at it out of the water. It also has the Cat D330 twin engines. They are turbo charged 4 cylinder engines but only rated at 120hp each. Are you sure your's is 300 hp?
G'day,

The boat I'm enquiring about is not my boat, it's a DeFever in Mexico, that interests me. Here's the link to the boat.
I fully agree with you on your DeFever...She looks like a displacement hull...I think the 50'er I'm interested in would be the same or very similar hull.
The engine in the DeFever that interest me is reported as:

Quote:
Engine Brand: Caterpillar
Engine(s) Total Power: 330 HP
Engine Model: 330D
Year Built: 1970
Engine Hours: 4300
End Quote.
In the pictures, the engine does not look to be TC'ed to me but I could be wrong.
I'll write to the broker today and hope he/she can answer my questions. (I have some more )

Bill
Australia
Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #5

City: EC FL
It's a semi-displacement hull

I don’t want to bore you or waste your time, so I’ll make this brief.

Look at the chine in the picture posted by Russell Clifton.

Compare that line to a straight line drawn under the keel (the baseline) parallel to the waterline.

Notice that the chine is only a few degrees from being parallel to the baseline and waterline, and in the aft third it is parallel.

That is a semi-displacement hull.

As I suggested above a call or letter/fax to Mr. DeFever will answer all of your questions.

Mike
Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
The picture of the engine on Yacht World looks like a 4 cyl. to me. I believe it would need to be a 6 cyl. to be 300 hp. This is probably about a 8 knot boat running at approx. 1800 rpm, burning about 4 gallons per hour. Good luck
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Not necessary as the Eagle, 58 ft, 40+ ton, engine is DD 672 - 165 hp.

Russ's Defever is one of nicest and designed Defever I know of.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #8

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
This boat is an Defever 50, built by the Oriental Boatbuilding Company in Japan. The hull is very similar in form to the DeFever / Alaskan 46, built by Grand Banks / American Marine.

Before looking at this boat, I'd suggest you read this amusing article about a sistership:
Hull Repair

Scott (Owner of a 60' wooden DeFever)
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
This boat is an Defever 50, built by the Oriental Boatbuilding Company in Japan. The hull is very similar in form to the DeFever / Alaskan 46, built by Grand Banks / American Marine.

Before looking at this boat, I'd suggest you read this amusing article about a sistership:
Hull Repair

Scott (Owner of a 60' wooden DeFever)
Thanks for that heads-up link Scott but as the brokers can not be bothered answering the questions I emailed them six days ago, almost seven days now, then I don't think I will take things any further or do business with that brokerage...Scratch one old Timber 50' DeFever.

Bill
Australia

Brokers Quote as published on sales page:
Mike, Shelly & Cindy are the team who lead and make you comfortable with the process of buying or selling in Mexico. They are respected and loved members of the cruising community in La Paz. Their honesty and integrity are much appreciated by buyers and sellers. End Quote.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #10

City: Brisbane
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by kando View Post
Bill
Australia
I have also been having a look at this style of vessel as well, but more like Russells above (it was his very vessel that I have been lusting after)

Have you priced up freight and import taxes yet?
A quote from dockwise came in at around $70,000 USA to Brisbane Australia and that price then gets added onto the value of the vessel, which is determined by Australian customs on I assume, what it would be worth here.
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4365.asp
That was the turn off.
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
May wish to PM a member named insequent, believe he's either currently or just has imported a 50'er to Oz from west coast USA after refit. He should be very up to date on this issue.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
I have also been having a look at this style of vessel as well, but more like Russells above (it was his very vessel that I have been lusting after)

A quote from dockwise came in at around $70,000 USA to Brisbane Australia and that price then gets added onto the value of the vessel, which is determined by Australian customs on I assume, what it would be worth here.
importing a yacht
That was the turn off.
G'day mate,

The import duty is rated at 5% of the genuine sales price, then the good old Oz tax man sticks on 10% GST on the sales price + ALL delivery/import costs, that includes the 5% duty, so you pay tax on a tax! They say the 5% duty is not applicable on American built boats but as we're talking Oz tax office, I would not bet on that being the case.
BTW, That old Defever is off the table, it's been sold...Wonder what it finaly went for

Bill
Australia
Old 10-31-2013, 01:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kando View Post
G'day mate,

The import duty is rated at 5% of the genuine sales price, then the good old Oz tax man sticks on 10% GST on the sales price + ALL delivery/import costs, that includes the 5% duty, so you pay tax on a tax!
That is not necesarily what it says
Red and bold by me

Quote:
Yachts are subject to a general rate of duty of 5% based on the customs value (basically the price paid or maybe not) and 10% GST calculated on the customs value plus international transport and insurance plus the duty.

Privately imported yachts are generally valued using the transaction method of valuation when purchased overseas new or second-hand for export to Australia. Circumstances where Customs may use an alternative method of valuation include such situations as where:

the yacht was constructed by owner/labour;
the yacht has been extensively modified since purchase;
the purchaser and vendor are related parties and that relationship has influenced the purchase price; or
the original purchase price is too far removed in time.(which it would be as I would probably spend a year or three cruising the US and the Caribbean before coming home)
In these instances the yacht will have to be valued by a marine surveyor in Australia. This valuation will be based on the market value and as such will include elements such as customs duty and GST.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
May wish to PM a member named insequent,
Thanks