Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
Sue Freeman's Avatar
 
City: Englewood
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 1992 36' Grand Banks Europa
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 57
Photo of DeFever 34 prop??

Hi,
Can anyone post a photo (or email it to me) of a 34' single screw DeFever prop and rudder on a trawler that's hauled out? I'm considering buying one and I'd like to see how well the prop is protected.
Thanks, Sue
__________________
Advertisement

Sue Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Freeman View Post
Hi,
Can anyone post a photo (or email it to me) of a 34' single screw DeFever prop and rudder on a trawler that's hauled out? I'm considering buying one and I'd like to see how well the prop is protected.
Thanks, Sue
I havent seen a 34 but the 40 i like has a single and its pretty well protected with a large rudder.
__________________

bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Member
 
City: Aptos
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Honey
Vessel Model: 34' DeFever Passagemaker
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
I own a 34' DeFever, hull #6 and although I do not have a photo of "Honey" on the hard, I will tell you that the Prop is well protected and the rudder is unsupported as in no skag.
The first time I saw 34' DeFever out of the water I was impressed with the hull shape, which is a soft chime aft, moving to a deep bow forward.I idle at 2.8 kts. and cruise at 1650 RPM at 7.7 kts. She will roll in a quartering sea enough to make you appreciate a harder chimed boat but it is a long roll, not a snap roll.Fuel is at 1.5 GPH at 1650 rpm.
rogerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerl View Post
I own a 34' DeFever, hull #6 and although I do not have a photo of "Honey" on the hard, I will tell you that the Prop is well protected and the rudder is unsupported as in no skag.
The first time I saw 34' DeFever out of the water I was impressed with the hull shape, which is a soft chime aft, moving to a deep bow forward.I idle at 2.8 kts. and cruise at 1650 RPM at 7.7 kts. She will roll in a quartering sea enough to make you appreciate a harder chimed boat but it is a long roll, not a snap roll.Fuel is at 1.5 GPH at 1650 rpm.
sounds sweet do you know where she was made?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Member
 
City: Aptos
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Honey
Vessel Model: 34' DeFever Passagemaker
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
What I understand is that Jensen Marine in Costa Mesa, Ca. built the 1974-1975 34' in their yard and I have only seen one that was called a 1975 model.Mine did come with the factory get home system, hydraulic off the Perkins 4-107 15KW Genny and a Dickson stern thruster, again hydraulic, after market piece.I did take both off as rebuild costs were 2/3 of a new thruster.The get home system works well but in my quest for a simple boat,it had a gaggle of hoses and 10 gallons of fluid that made me blink and had a take off system that took 15-20 minutes to attach or disconnect.If you've ever seen a hydraulic hose break, it is a thing to behold.
thanks for asking
rogerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerl View Post
What I understand is that Jensen Marine in Costa Mesa, Ca. built the 1974-1975 34' in their yard and I have only seen one that was called a 1975 model.Mine did come with the factory get home system, hydraulic off the Perkins 4-107 15KW Genny and a Dickson stern thruster, again hydraulic, after market piece.I did take both off as rebuild costs were 2/3 of a new thruster.The get home system works well but in my quest for a simple boat,it had a gaggle of hoses and 10 gallons of fluid that made me blink and had a take off system that took 15-20 minutes to attach or disconnect.If you've ever seen a hydraulic hose break, it is a thing to behold.
thanks for asking
oh yeah, we have talked before. I am going to look at asanta ana built deferer 40 tomorrow with the get home system but its electric not hydralic. Did you add a new stern thruster or bow thruster?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerl View Post
I own a 34' DeFever, hull #6 and although I do not have a photo of "Honey" on the hard, I will tell you that the Prop is well protected and the rudder is unsupported as in no skag.
Probably like this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rudder.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	15527  
__________________
Codger2

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
Member
 
City: Aptos
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Honey
Vessel Model: 34' DeFever Passagemaker
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
oh yeah, we have talked before. I am going to look at asanta ana built deferer 40 tomorrow with the get home system but its electric not hydralic. Did you add a new stern thruster or bow thruster?

I have kept it old school for now.Santa Cruz harbor is easy docking and the boat has very good rudder power.That may change when we truck "Honey" up to the San Juan's this summer.
rogerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #9
Member
 
City: Aptos
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Honey
Vessel Model: 34' DeFever Passagemaker
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
Hey Walt,

Honey's wheel is set closer to the keel, almost no shaft exposed with a cone zinc capping the prop.Her rudder is what I call a barn door, as in larger than most single engine Trawlers.Also her chime is softer aft, more like a Krogen 44' if you seen one on the hard.
rogerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerl View Post

Honey's wheel is set closer to the keel, almost no shaft exposed with a cone zinc capping the prop.
I'd like to see that. I'm envious of you taking your boat to the San Juans as I have been contemplating that for years.
__________________
Codger2

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerl View Post
I have kept it old school for now.Santa Cruz harbor is easy docking and the boat has very good rudder power.That may change when we truck "Honey" up to the San Juan's this summer.
why not sail her up there? I'm thinking if i buy a boat in so cal about saling to oregon, or haveing her trucked to the delta then sailed from there on up to Winchester Bay
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Member
 
City: Aptos
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Honey
Vessel Model: 34' DeFever Passagemaker
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
Good question, without sounding like a know it all, it penciled out to be an acceptable cost to truck it to the PNW, what with decommission and commission.Finding a crew capable enough to satisfy me is not on my screen.I am a retired Merchant Marine with too many heavy weather experiences.I am a tad superstitious, survived Viet Nam, 26 plus years as a blue water sailor and 28 years married to the same women.I have seen myself back down from some things that 10-20 years ago I would have jumped on.Kind a like the adage,"I get enough exercise pushing my luck".
Thanks for asking!
rogerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerl View Post
Good question, without sounding like a know it all, it penciled out to be an acceptable cost to truck it to the PNW, what with decommission and commission.Finding a crew capable enough to satisfy me is not on my screen.I am a retired Merchant Marine with too many heavy weather experiences.I am a tad superstitious, survived Viet Nam, 26 plus years as a blue water sailor and 28 years married to the same women.I have seen myself back down from some things that 10-20 years ago I would have jumped on.Kind a like the adage,"I get enough exercise pushing my luck".
Thanks for asking!
For you a trip like that would be like going back to work i would imagine?
you know, the ocean scares the beejeebies outa me but i love her all the same. I'm not sure i have the guts to do it either but i do know i am gonna give it a try and wait for a perfect weather window before makeing each leg. I'll stop in Humbolt bay for a while and visit my daughter. I am in no hurry i am retired from most 9-5's. I've talked to a guy that has taken his GB 32 all the way to mexico and back from the bellingham Washington area
anyway i think going the hard route is cheaper but less of an adventure.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
Member
 
City: Aptos
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Honey
Vessel Model: 34' DeFever Passagemaker
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
For you a trip like that would be like going back to work i would imagine?
you know, the ocean scares the beejeebies outa me but i love her all the same. I'm not sure i have the guts to do it either but i do know i am gonna give it a try and wait for a perfect weather window before makeing each leg. I'll stop in Humbolt bay for a while and visit my daughter. I am in no hurry i am retired from most 9-5's. I've talked to a guy that has taken his GB 32 all the way to mexico and back from the bellingham Washington area
anyway i think going the hard route is cheaper but less of an adventure.
....and that likeness of being back to sea is my problem.Growing up around boats was fun as a kid but the family men all were mariners and guess what I did?
I am teaching/learning to enjoy owning/using my boat but it has been hard to shake off the old me and just have a good time.The term "Prudent Mariner" is still part of my lexicon I guess.
rogerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerl View Post
....and that likeness of being back to sea is my problem.Growing up around boats was fun as a kid but the family men all were mariners and guess what I did?
I am teaching/learning to enjoy owning/using my boat but it has been hard to shake off the old me and just have a good time.The term "Prudent Mariner" is still part of my lexicon I guess.
you live in Aptos right? and the delta is just around the corner. Lots of easy laid back boating in the delta. Have you considered spending a little time exploring the delta to get used to recreational boating. Maybe it would help you make the transition?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
bobc's Avatar
 
City: Everett
Country: US
Vessel Name: Note by Note
Vessel Model: 34 DeFever
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 133
Here's the real deal - a DF34 prop

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #17
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
the rudder looks kinda delicate?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
bobc's Avatar
 
City: Everett
Country: US
Vessel Name: Note by Note
Vessel Model: 34 DeFever
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
the rudder looks kinda delicate?
Not really. It's at least 1/4" thick with a reasonably sized shaft. I suspect it's stronger than fiberglass-encased designs. It's obviously not as well protected as a skeg hung rudder would be.
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,707
I wonder what trailing edge type on the keel has less drag.

The rear ends of cars are frequently cut off sharp and they say rounded rear ends like the cars of the 40s have more drag. Think I recall that that was proven on the race track. Air, however is a compressible fluid and may be different than water. The TE of OB props used to be tear drop shaped and now their cut-off blunt. With hulls themselves it depends on speed. When you reach planing speeds cut-off is best.

But there seems to be lots of keels terminated round and squared off like mine in the picture.

Opinions ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71268 copy.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	15560  
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,994
Greetings,
Mr. Eric. I think you have your own answer unless I misinterpret your question. What has less drag? Your boat shape or one with a squared off transom?
__________________

__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012