Old 01-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #1

City: Greenville, NC
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler Montauk 210
New DeFever yachts

I was under the impression that DeFevers had stopped production, but on a search on Yachtworld I see that Northstar Yachts are offering new models for sale, and there are some brokerage boats that are just a few years old.

Are the boats being made at the same yard? Are they from molds designed by Art DeFever or have the designs been modified? Can anyone give an opinion on how the new boats rank in quality compared to other brands in the same niche?

Many thanks,
Mark

hayesdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I have a DeFever designed, but not built, boat (Oviatt Marine/Tania Yard). But my understanding was that the actual DeFevers have never stopped being built by POCTA. But maybe someone else has taken over?

http://www.pocta-yacht.com/global/

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:55 PM   #3
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
New DeFever yachts

At the DeFever PNW rendezvous in September, we were informed that Pocta stopped building DeFevers due to some disagreements with the DeFever family. Not many details available.
drb1025 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
At the DeFever PNW rendezvous in September, we were informed that Pocta stopped building DeFevers due to some disagreements with the DeFever family. Not many details available.

Interesting. The boats offered on their website (49 and 50/52) are still DeFevers.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Maybe Peter Whiting will chime in. He is now building versions of similar to DF designs, NW Yachts. He is a real class act.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Although I've never had a DeFever, my brother had one built new and cruised it for years in the Sea of Cortez. The boat was 57 feet long and include an extended cockpit. Having had the opportunity to cruise for several weeks with my brother & his wife, I found the boat to be extremely comfortable and with a layout that serviced fishing, diving and cruising. She had Cat 3208s and cruised at 10 knots. Arizona was a great boat!
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #7

City: Greenville, NC
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler Montauk 210
The representative for Northstar, the company advertising the DeFevers on Yachtworld responded to an email from me. This was his response:

Pocta has been the primary Defever builders for many years. The version of the story I'm hearing within the dealer network is a political issue rather than a family issue although I have heard those stories also where a son or grandson is looking for royalties on Arthur's work but that was a discussion years ago when Arthur passed. Has nothing to do with today's political climate. There are 2016, 2017 & 2018 Pocta built boats that are here in North America which were all built and contracted long after Arthur's passing.

He went on to indicate all boats now are semi-custom boats built to order for customers from designs updated by Art before he passed away. If anyone else has more insight from inside the industry, that would be appreciated.

Mark

hayesdvm is offline   Reply With Quote