Laying down a Defever arch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Online searching hasn't yielded an answer...how reasonable is it to lay down the arch on a Defever such as the 48 for temporary bridge clearance assuming you have sturdy folks to assist? Photos seem to show it is secured by four bolts on each side...is it also glued (I've seen this on smaller sports cruisers)? Once unbolted is it free to swivel forward or is it secured in a socket arrangement requiring it to be lifted first, or...? Are the through-bolt heads easily accessible?

I've taken mine down. When I purchased my 48 the PO had it installed backwards for some strange reason.

To take it down:

You need a step ladder because as it rotates on the hinges it get pretty high.
You also should have 3 people; 2 to lift and rotate it and one to make sure the wires aren't being pulled too tight.
You should also have some 2x4s prepared to support it when layed over.
The arch is not that heavy, but once it's pivoted over past the tipping point, you will see it's more than a one man job.

Does it have a pin fore and aft allowing you to lower it either way?

I've taken mine down. When I purchased my 48 the PO had it installed backwards for some strange reason.

I’ve seen online pics of more than one that way, perhaps it’s a particular owner’s aesthetics, perhaps it’s wanting a different Bimini arrangement? I’d prefer it to not have an arch at all and have a hinged mast instead, but the model seems to meet my wishes in so many other ways...that said, swept forward looks much better.

Thanks for the answer, that is hugely helpful. Are the bolts that secure it fixed in place or do you have to reach inside the access holes with a wrench while torquing?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom