Old 08-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I went to look at a boat awhile back listed for X amount and after seeing the boat the broker made it clear it could be had for 1/2 X.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #22

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Dont worry KSANDERS, I moved up from a 3288. If I could have found a 45 or 47 for the price I paid for the Californian I would have jumped on it. While looking for boats last year I came across a 49 MT pilothouse that was a little tired looking but at a great price. When I called the broker thought there may be a fuel tank leak. Damn. Cosmetics are easy as long as mechanicals are sound.

knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
Dont worry KSANDERS, I moved up from a 3288. If I could have found a 45 or 47 for the price I paid for the Californian I would have jumped on it. While looking for boats last year I came across a 49 MT pilothouse that was a little tired looking but at a great price. When I called the broker thought there may be a fuel tank leak. Damn. Cosmetics are easy as long as mechanicals are sound.

Thanks! I'm not too worried. The 4788 is a great boat, and just like any boat it has its pluses and minuses.

Its kinda funny, we just came off of a couple of nights on the boat a couple hours ago. There was a really nice Nordhavn 58 three slips over. Nice retired couple onboard.

They have spent this summer cruising around Alaska.

The funny thing is that our boat has been to many of the places in Alaska they went. Actually any of the larger boats in the harbor could do those things. It doesn't take a 2 million dollar boat to have fun.

What it takes is having the time, and the desire to explore.

So, I'm happy with my Bayliner. Its enough boat to do what I reasonably want to do. It also fits in nicely with 90%+ of the other boats in the harbor.

There's a sea ranger 47 thats been my slip mate all summer, and a Defever 45 a few slips down. Then there's the Navigator 48 next to the Defever. Except for the odd super expensive luxury yacht all of our boats are quite comperable.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Nordhavn 58 - do they exist? I've never seen one. Having been on many Bayliners, DeFevers and Nordhavns I agree that they all can be in the same place. But to say the experience on each is the same is kinda like saying my Buick is good as a BMW or my house in Queens is as good as the one I saw in the Hamptons.Now if only I could afford a Fleming 65 ---------!!

On the subject of DeFever 48s, they are marvelous heavy weather boats, with solid and thick GRP. There is lots about them to enjoy. Today many boats are being offered at give away prices because the market is so crummy. A good inspection or two will tell the tale.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #25
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Nordhavn 58 - do they exist? I've never seen one. Having been on many Bayliners, DeFevers and Nordhavns I agree that they all can be in the same place. But to say the experience on each is the same is kinda like saying my Buick is good as a BMW or my house in Queens is as good as the one I saw in the Hamptons.Now if only I could afford a Fleming 65 ---------!!

On the subject of DeFever 48s, they are marvelous heavy weather boats, with solid and thick GRP. There is lots about them to enjoy. Today many boats are being offered at give away prices because the market is so crummy. A good inspection or two will tell the tale.
Sorry, typo, Nordhavn 57

The concept was that at least for 95% of recreational boating areas in Alaska, any of our boats do just fine.

You do not need the heavy weather capabilities of a passagemaker for what (at least here in Alaska) people actually use their boats for.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #26
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Having spent time in Alaska I can only but agree there are plenty of times and places where most boats can enjoy the ambiance. When James Hamilton took ownership of his Nordhavn 52 two years ago the first big trip he took was a great test - out Juan Defuca and they followed the west coast on the outside all the way to Prince William Sound as I recall (posted on his website). He is an intrepid traveler for sure and this jaunt gave the 52 some real bona fides.

The bench mark boat for the Nordhavn Atlantic rally was the 57. It has good range and with its hull design certainly one of the faster performers in the Nordhavn line. I sure would have enjoyed the 57 in Alaska this summer as we crossed Dixon Entrance.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #27
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
I sure would have enjoyed the 57 in Alaska this summer as we crossed Dixon Entrance.

Our Dixon Entrance crossing was like glass this time.

We had a days wait in Prince Rupert (really just an afternoon), for the weather to abate, but there's a couple of nice restrauants and plenty of "tourist" things to look at, so it was a good time.

I have done the complete inside passage with gulf crossing twice now, both times in Bayliners. Like any coastal cruiser you just need to watch the weather, and be prepared to stay put for a day or two.

Its really not what the boat can take, its what we're willing to suject our bodies to that makes a prudent go no go decision most of the time.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #28
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
OK I think It's my turn. We own as you see in our avitar a DeFever48. We bought her in Lauderdale last spring and brought her to the Chesapeake. This year we have been on her since June9. We have been in Maine for two months. We have three teenagers. We always anchor out. This is my third trawler and as a broker I have been on probably over a hundred. We have enjoyed this summer so much we have decided to live aboard indefinitely. The "kids" love there staterooms. The head room is 7' in the salon. We have traveled over a thousand see miles and she is a ship. She weighs 30tons and with the Lehmans purring at 1400rpm she burns right at two gallons per hour. She is unbelievably solid under foot and will swallow up dozens of guest. Her low windage, high bow, deep forefoot and low center of gravity makes her a dream in the biggest of seas. With her weight and proper rudders she is a dream to dock. The galley is a kitchen regardless of the effects of the camera. She carries 1100g of fuel and 450water in her cavernous engine room.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #29
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
OK I think It's my turn. We own as you see in our avitar a DeFever48. We bought her in Lauderdale last spring and brought her to the Chesapeake. This year we have been on her since June9. We have been in Maine for two months. We have three teenagers. We always anchor out. This is my third trawler and as a broker I have been on probably over a hundred. We have enjoyed this summer so much we have decided to live aboard indefinitely. The "kids" love there staterooms. The head room is 7' in the salon. We have traveled over a thousand see miles and she is a ship. She weighs 30tons and with the Lehmans purring at 1400rpm she burns right at two gallons per hour. She is unbelievably solid under foot and will swallow up dozens of guest. Her low windage, high bow, deep forefoot and low center of gravity makes her a dream in the biggest of seas. With her weight and proper rudders she is a dream to dock. The galley is a kitchen regardless of the effects of the camera. She carries 1100g of fuel and 450water in her cavernous engine room.
Appreciate your insight on the 48.

I think the design is great, really like the idea of 7' headroom in the salon.
I agree the photos on yachtworld, do not do her any justice.
She does appear like a small ship.
You have a great boat!
JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #30
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
John P,
Thanks! We are very impressed with our little ship. Sorry about all the typos in my post. How do you edit?

http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote