Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > DeFever
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2014, 12:42 AM   #1

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Demani
Vessel Model: Columbia C-45
Defever question. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/Defever-Performance-Of...

We are thinking of selling our sailboat and moving to a trawler. Is anyone able to provide information on the boat I saw on Yachtworld?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990...s#.U4LFn9q9KSN

boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Starting small I see.

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #3

City: Maine
Try this: DeFever Cruisers - A Club for Yachting Enthusiasts with a Passion for DeFever Vessels and the Cruising Life!
Anthonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Starting small I see.
I like to think small, lol. This will be our 5th boat, wanted to get information is all.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
What type of cruising do you want to do with the boat (where, how many months per year, marinas vs anchorage, etc)? That's the best place to start otherwise you end up with a boat that can't fill your needs and you end up selling it for a loss.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #6

I am mostly a marina person. We anchor for weekends and moor in Catalina or other places when cruising. We are planning, if we buy on the west coast to cruise out of San Diego to San Francisco, Ensenada, and further down into the Sea of Cortez. If we buy on the east coast it would be the Chesapeake, up the east coast, and winter in the islands.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
Guru

A DeFever POC like the one you referenced is a pretty good marina boat. There's a lot of space. I'm not sure it's the best boat for cruising Mexico or the Puget Sound - I don't know that I've ever seen one anchoring out. The last one I saw didn't have the battery reserve to handle being out for more than a day and it didn't have a generator. Those issues are certainly fixable but it said something to me about the strengths of the boat (being at a marina).

Joining DeFever Cruisers and asking questions there would probably link you with a few owners of the model you're looking at.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #8

Activecaptain, I have read a lot of your posts and respect your opinion. What trawler would you recommend under $400,000.00?
Old 05-26-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boating2go View Post
Activecaptain, I have read a lot of your posts and respect your opinion. What trawler would you recommend under $400,000.00?
The last thing that you need is my idea of a good trawler. If you want my opinion, take a long-term approach at allowing the right boat to find you and your wife (assuming you're married). And staying with that assumption, get your wife very involved in the decision making and understanding of the issues, advantages, and disadvantages. Go onboard a lot of boats and learn from every experience. Write down what you liked and didn't. Spend a night or two each week on yachtworld.

It took us 3 years of looking. It was the best thing we ever did because we really learned what we wanted slowly and eventually purchased the right boat for us. We're now in our 12th year with her and whereas most liveaboard cruising couples have about a 10 year lifespan, we're now putting our house on the market to spend even more time on our boat (my wife's idea).
Old 05-27-2014, 05:06 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
AC…would your wife be willing to speak to my wife..?
Old 05-27-2014, 05:16 AM   #11
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Peter you need the Wife Whisperer

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: San Leon, Texas
Vessel Name: Always On My Mind
Vessel Model: DeFever Downeast 40 - 1979
You have received some very good info from Activcaptain and I would only add that establishing a relationship with one particular yachtbroker would be very beneficial to you. Find one you feel is knowledgeable, honest and eager to assist you in your search. If in your searching, you find what you feel is a boat you would like to look at, get in touch with this yachtbroker FIRST and allow him to do some research on the vessel and then have him show you the boat.

In regards to the POC Defever...it's a nice looking boat and has some very good things about it that make it a desireable vessel.
You will find that the full height engine room is very nice if you do your own servicing, if not...your mechanic will love you for it. :-)

As earlier mentioned, look at alot of boats...see what your particulars are and how you plan to use it, i.e. if you plan to fish or do similar activities, you would want a boat that has some cockpit area or europa vs pilot house type cabin, etc. Only by looking and studying will you come to the conclusion of what style boat you will want.

Good luck in your search; it is an adventure my wife and I enjoyed for many years prior to retirement and eventually we found our perfect fit.
Roostor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Myers
You have started at a great place in this forum, some exceptionally bright owners/capt/1st mates here. Keep reading and following along, the tidbits you pick up help put the vast puzzle together, I know it has helped me understand more how these types of vessels handle etc.

Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote