DeFever 53' POC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

USVI DPO

Looking for some advise or experiences with a 53' POC. Considering this as an option for a live aboard/cruiser for myself, wife and two girls (ages 3&1). Primary cruising grounds would be the east coast and Caribbean from Grenada to Maine (taking our sweet time to enjoy the journey of course). I know some models have stabilizers and some don't. How does the POC handle in 5'-6' seas? There's a lot of freeboard there and a shallow draft so stability and comfort are a big concern. I'm fine in any sea state but for the comfort of the family, the ride could be a deal breaker. Additionally, how about fuel consumption? Slow down everyone who is about to pop a blood vessel in the process of telling me how ridiculous of a question this is! If you have a POC, what engines do you have and what kind of a burn rate are you getting? If there's another model to look at, let me know. 3 staterooms is ideal so that the family can grow into the boat. Thanks for everyones help and input. Stay Safe.

J

Popping a blood vessel? Ridiculous questions? Where have been learning about forums?
Doesn't matter, there's little of that here except when talking anchors. Best of luck in your search and deciding which boat is best for you and your family.

There are three POCs currently on YachtWorld. One is a 57' with Detroit Diesel 6v71s. The other two are 53' and both have Cat 3208s.

The Detroits haven't been made in a long time but the parts are readily available worldwide and are comparatively cheap. All of the maintenance parts (starter, impeller, belts, thermostat, etc) are very easy to access and they can be rebuilt "in-frame" or without removing the engine from the boat. I recently looked into the 6v71s and the general consensus on the burn rate was 8 knots would be 7-8 gallons per hour, ten knots would be closer to 15-20 and WOT is in the neighborhood of "Holy crap, the fuel gauge is going down so fast!"

The 3208s are considered a great engine. Easy to maintain and will last a long time if maintained properly and not run "to the pins" or wide open all the time. The only drawback I've found on the 3208s is they cannot be rebuilt in-frame. Otherwise, they have a good reputation. Fuel economy is about the same or slightly better than the Detroits because they aren't generating as much horsepower.

Now, all of that said, you will find plenty of people that hate both engines and plenty others that love both engines. Swing a ten foot fuel hose and you'll probably hit a dozen people who swear they can do better on fuel economy.

John

I don't have much experience with the boat, but have likely been on one or two. I think you will want stabilizers.

Both the 3208 and the DD 71 are good engines. The post above was pretty much dead on. The DD is louder and uses about 10-15% more fuel than the Cat if they are pushing the boat the same speed. But the boat speed you choose is way more important than which engine.

The DD is much more "fixable" when traveling far and wide. No finicky injection pump, no tender head gaskets. Most anything that goes wrong with it (besides something catastrophic like a thrown rod or busted crank) can be fixed in the boat with on board spares.

I have sailed extensively in the Carib. And am currently in the Bahamas on a stabilized trawler. I would never attemp the Caribbean without stabilization of some kind. In the Bahamas not such a big deal.

Gordon

I think that the 53 only came with 3208TAs, 375hp I think. The best place to look is on the Defever Owners Group. They have some info on the POCs even a PDF Owners Manual for the 53.

Thanks everyone for the info. The DD are definitely a lot easier to work on and maintain. I've had both 6-71 and 12-71's on boat's I've ran in the past. Keep oil in them and they're happy. The DeFever owners website is a great resource. I look forward to any other info. Additionally, if anyone has a 49' or larger that needs to be relocated, I'm a fully licensed 100-ton Master with an oceans endorsement and work commercially with ample time off. We could maybe work something out with moving the boat and you stay at my house in the USVI. Thanks again everyone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom