Old 08-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We saw quite a few Sea Rays in the Northern part of the Eastern Caribbean. Haven't made it to Trinidad yet.
Thanks for the tip. Was this Antigua or St. Martin? We have been up that way, usually in April for the Classics but haven't seen any. Do you remember when?
Old 08-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
The only boat I would feel safe aboard crossing an ocean would be an ocean liner. If I "theoretically" had to cross an ocean on a pleasure craft it would be on the biggest, most well equipped, self righting sailboat that was purpose built for that voyage. Maybe an Oyster or a Swan?

I was once on a cruise ship heading from California to Hawaii. I was standing on our terrace watching a beautiful sunset when the ship passed a sailboat which was some distance off our port side. It was under full sail. My guess is it was between 50 and 60 feet in length. Problem for me was that despite its size, it looked like a toothpick floating in an endless sea. That ended any desire I might have had to be an adventurer.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Thanks for the tip. Was this Antigua or St. Martin? We have been up that way, usually in April for the Classics but haven't seen any. Do you remember when?
Saw some and talked with others there. The larger number were in the USVI and PR. Quite a few in both of those areas. Then would see a straggler here and there in St. Marteen/St. Marten and even St. Kitts. We didn't make it further but did run across one in the USVI that had been down as far as Saint Lucia. Definitely not my choice of boat for the area but most of the time it was like cruising on the outside of the East Coast. If you're uncomfortable going outside and prefer the ICW or don't like crossing the gulf stream, then not for you.

I have a friend who delivered a Sea Ray Sundancer 510 to the USVI this spring. The owner had purchased it in Florida and wanted it for use in the USVI but wasn't about to take it there himself.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:05 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

I have a friend who delivered a Sea Ray Sundancer 510 to the USVI this spring. The owner had purchased it in Florida and wanted it for use in the USVI but wasn't about to take it there himself.
Heard similar stories from the other planing local boats in the Eastern Caribbean. Also we see a good number of good size sport fisherman which I assume are planing boats.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Heard similar stories from the other planing local boats in the Eastern Caribbean. Also we see a good number of good size sport fisherman which I assume are planing boats.
Yes, lot's of SF's and lot's of SF charters and some larger center consoles. 37' Calypso's are popular in the VI. The other SF charters are typically on the small side. Still a lot of Bertram's.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs1958 View Post
Obviously if a 40' boat can cross an ocean it would be more comfortable in a moderate sea compared to a coastal boat.
Not necessarily. Comfort is not automatically a function of the ability to go a long distance.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:40 AM   #27

City: Ft pierce
Vessel Name: Resolute
Vessel Model: 2000 47' Selene
44' Defever didn't work out. Surveying a 48' Defever. Hope this is the one!
jrs1958 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defever trawler, krogen