Deck repairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug H

Veteran Member
I am considering buying a Defever 41 in need of deck repairs. The teak is shot and moisture readings in the underside of the lazarette show high levels. I suspect much of the core is likely rotten. I would not replace the teak, just go with fg decks. The boat was built in 1981. Am interested to know if the core is balsa or plywood.

Has anyone done this/had this done? Any information would be helpful.

There are lots of discussions on this subjects in the archives of this forum. It is also a popular topic on the Grand Banks owners forum.

Bottom line is that a lot of people have done this. I know people who have done this, and there are a number of ways to do it. But it has to be done correctly or it will lead to more problems down the road.

And that is why it's important to get out and talk to people who've done it or had it done successfully to their boats. Because what you'll get on an internet forum like this are a ton of conflicting opinons, some of them valid other's not so much.

It's a big job to do it right, whether you do it or a yard does it. There are people who have replaced teak decks in a short time with a minimum of effort but that's not the best way to do it, although they will tell you that it is.:)

So best to read everything you can on the subject, talk to shipwrights or yards that have done this, but most of all talk to people, ideally in your area, who have done this job properly.

It's not rocket science to do it, but it does take the right process, the right techniques, the right materials, and the right tools. Or a lot of money to have a pro do it.

Teak decks can also be repaired if the wood itself is still in decent shape. But if the subdeck has rot areas, then there's only one way to fix that properly and that's to get the rotted material out and replace it with new material. You can then cover it back up with teak (applied correctly) or fiberglass (applied correctly).

Last edited:
I do know that they built them in different yards but a friend of ours has a 1983 and his is plywood core helped him repair several soft spots

Some vessels had plywood cores in the decks, cabin sides and bulkheads....

Even though it was saturated for many years in places...my plywood was not rotted or delaminated....thus salvageable.

Sure there are a few spots that required scarphing in...but only really a tiny section.

The deck could be delaminated between all the layers and feel soft...but the ply might be fine once dried out and can be reglued back to the deck kin which is a much simpler process than redoing the core.

I have a 41 Defever 1981 and the decks are plywood!

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440681544.105447.jpg

Good luck with it. I replaced my entire deck from teak over plywood to epoxy soaked ply with glass and epoxy on top. It's much more solid that the original but I have a wooden boat.

There is a glass boat with a wood core in my marina right across from me that is getting the core replaced due to rot. I'm watching the repair work, which is done by a pro, and it's not being done the way I would do it but now that it's covered by fresh paint no one is to the wiser.

If you do the work yourself and are diligent in your efforts, you will have a great boat for many years to come. Hiring the pros keep in mind, they do production work and fast is the essence of their work.

This piece was from the original owners when they put a diesel heater in aft cabin. 1/2" decking first, 1/4" glass, 3/4" plywood and then 3/16 glassView attachment 43639

Wow- a plug like that speaks for itself!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Back
Top Bottom