Cooler choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wataworld

Vessel Name
Wataworld
Vessel Make
Defever 44+5
Yeti, Siberian, Engel, Igloo? Rotomolded, old style? Who would like to shine on their cooler and why I bought a rotomolded off brand worked great till someone wanted it more than I and away it went. Do you lock yours down when away from the boat (I have the boat in Miami) two smaller ones or one bigger one
Gregg D :dance:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pelican here and very happy with it....and Yes, I do lock it up when I'm gone...

20150528_170707-vi.jpg

We use a pair of Yeti coolers when we are out "cruising" in our tiny 16' Airstream Bambi. My only other cooler experience were the styrofoam cheap things, a 12 volt thing that sucked energy like nothing I'd ever seen and a Coleman. The Yeti coolers are great! Worth the price I'd say. They hold temperature for a long time and I believe they are bear proof! Of course if you have problems with bears while boating...
Bruce

I was always offended by the Yeti Pricing...Sure they're great, but my Pelican is just as good thermally with some nicer features for 2/3rds the cost. Because of yeti's pricing, clones are now hitting the market at considerably less money. It was bound to happen:

https://www.rticcoolers.com/

I was always offended by the Yeti Pricing...Sure they're great, but my Pelican is just as good thermally with some nicer features for 2/3rds the cost. Because of yeti's pricing, clones are now hitting the market at considerably less money. It was bound to happen:

https://www.rticcoolers.com/

I understand. I get more upset when I try saving money and end up with an inferior product. I will spend a bit more for a product made in the USA or even for a product made "somewhere else" by a US company too.
Our Yeti's are about 6 years old now and as I remember there was only one other real contender at the time we purchased them. It was clearly a copy so we sprung for the Yeti's.
No regrets!
Bruce

I understand. I get more upset when I try saving money and end up with an inferior product. I will spend a bit more for a product made in the USA or even for a product made "somewhere else" by a US company too.

I get it...I typically spend on the better product for most of my boat purchasing.
I'm not allergic to spending less though when the performance and quality equals the higher priced item....;)

I have a Yeti, and a couple of Igloo's for fish. The Igloo has a fairly hard liner that cleans up easily from fish slime and scales, but is also hard enough that you can crack it. I just repaired both of my Igloo coolers with super glue to seal the liner from moisture intrusion where I cracked the liner.

I buy coolers based on what's going into them (length of fish) and how heavy they will be when full (can I pick it up). A bag limit of halibut (4) can fill a 48 quart cooler with no room for ice, the 72 quart cooler fits the length of a silver salmon.

Can't have too many coolers :)

My favorite is my Engel AC/DC 40 quart refrigerator freezer, but I don't put raw fish in it.

We went with an Engle in lieu of Yeti, mostly due to cost. Not cheap, but at the time about half or less the cost of a Yeti (and not as heavy as a pelican, which I think is the one made from fiberglass). Three years in and still very happy with it. It lives on the upper deck with no cover and so far doesn't look any worse for wear. Rubber feet and it never moves in waves, even when empty - we don't have it tied down. A friend bought one after seeing ours and he is also very pleased. And they are made in USA, too!

EDIT - having just looked at the post, above, I want to clarify that we have an Engle cooler, not the fridge/freezer version with a compressor.

Back
Top Bottom