Old 08-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Houston
Bit the bullet

Hey all, we did it and now we have to bring it home.
After a few more months of serc hing we have found our ride, a passagemaker with twin 120's and in the best condition I could have asked for. Now I have a 1600 mile ride to get her home. I have my hands full just listing all the projects and I have 23 days before I set out on this journey. I hope to post our progress often just to help someone find us if we float away. Ill be asking all the defever owners for help before its all said and done. The boat is all ready primarily, but I have to load all safety equip as it was all removed before we got it. We will be offshore as much as possible to avoid the ditch. Now is when that hull is going to shine in the wind and waves. That was one of our most important requirements, seaworthy hull. I know they all are supposed to be coastal cruisers but the defever, as ya'll know, can take it. So I'll be questioning all about the fine defever vessel we have been blessed with.

Mike
reissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Congratulations! You have chosen one of my all time favourite boats.

Take care of her and she will you. Please keep us posted on your journey. Have a safe trip!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:20 AM   #3
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Sounds like you are preparing well for the home delivery voyage. I`m no fan of the delivery voyage being the shakedown familiarization cruise, that way lies danger.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:17 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Congrats

Please be safe

From what location to what location

consider some inside or close in days to start

looking forward to the pics and stories of the adventure
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:14 AM   #5

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Wataworld
Vessel Model: Defever 44+5
Which Defever did you get?
Wataworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Congratulations! You have chosen one of my all time favourite boats.

Take care of her and she will you. Please keep us posted on your journey. Have a safe trip!
Will do and will be posting the places we stop so if anyone has a.free.moment while we're there can maybe meet and have some new friends.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

:<)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Sounds like you are preparing well for the home delivery voyage. I`m no fan of the delivery voyage being the shakedown familiarization cruise, that way lies danger.
I agree not the best idea I ever had but I have got my dream boat and with god and 5000.00 worth of fuel we'll float our way home. I am spendimg a week getting to know the girl before the."Trip". We will be in and out of the ditch I'm sure, kinda like a safer zone for any bad weather. I will be on here asking a thousand questions.
Mike
Old 08-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

40' passage maker 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wataworld View Post
Which Defever did you get?
She is clean and the survey is like a new boat. We have looked everywhere and waited for that right one and we found it. I have.always thought that the passage maker was the best looking and functioning of the boat in our price range. I'll let ya know if my thinking has changed after a.week on her.
Mike
Old 08-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by reissue View Post
She is clean and the survey is like a new boat. We have looked everywhere and waited for that right one and we found it. I have.always thought that the passage maker was the best looking and functioning of the boat in our price range. I'll let ya know if my thinking has changed after a.week on her.
Mike

Are you saying "Passage Maker" is the model of Defever?

For those of us not familiar, what's length, beam, draught, layout, etc.?

-Chris
Old 08-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Are you saying "Passage Maker" is the model of Defever?

For those of us not familiar, what's length, beam, draught, layout, etc.?

-Chris
Shes a 1974 40 ft Defever PassageMaker with twin 120 Lehmans. Conventional layout, v berth forward, raised salon and galley, queen master. 13-8ft beam that draws 4ft. Only thing on the survey that wasn't exc was the microwave oven. The previous owner was a true Defever lover and took amazing care of the vessel. Im giddy as a school girl, my wife is speechless, and my 6 sons all want to borrow it.
Mike
Old 08-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Congratulations on the new Defever -- she sounds like a honey!! If you bought it on the East coast and are going to bring it over into the Gulf and then over to Houston, lots of good assistance available on the Forum on how to do that with the least amount of pain.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by reissue View Post
Im giddy as a school girl, my wife is speechless, and my 6 sons all want to borrow it.
Mike

Old 08-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #13
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Golly, Mike, that sounds like a terrific boat. Those early '70s-vintage PMs are handsome vessels and seem to have good bones. Its unclear from your posts where you plan to travel on your homeward journey, but if you pause in Jacksonville (FL), lemme know. Meanwhile, safe traveling.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:23 PM   #14
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Bringing her back to Houston/Galveston? Just did that trip from Lauderdale to Galveston, then to Rockport. Let me know if you need any help.

Be sure to go through Nola and hit all the wonderful locks! It's a blast!!! 😳
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:30 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Don't think of this as a delivery trip. It's cruising an area distant from you and because of location of the boat you only have to go one way. Under different circumstances seeing these areas would require you covering twice the miles.

To get caught up in the aspect of getting the boat home and fail to take advantage of the sites and ports along the way is a sad thought to me. I even advise people if they don't have the time to take it slow and enjoy then do it in multiple trips, flying home in between.

Between now and reaching home you have so much enjoyment of the Defever awaiting. The goal isn't delivering it home. The goal is cruising all that wonderful area along the way.

Enjoy and congratulations
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:35 AM   #16
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Sounds like a good find, and with Lehmans too, for which you get parts easily, from American Diesel. Some pics when time permits, would be welcome.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #17
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Good choice... Get it on... Cruise carefully... Picts please! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Congratulations on the new Defever -- she sounds like a honey!! If you bought it on the East coast and are going to bring it over into the Gulf and then over to Houston, lots of good assistance available on the Forum on how to do that with the least amount of pain.
I'll be picking brains and asking alot of questions. It will be like having a few dozen mates on board
Old 08-13-2015, 05:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
Golly, Mike, that sounds like a terrific boat. Those early '70s-vintage PMs are handsome vessels and seem to have good bones. Its unclear from your posts where you plan to travel on your homeward journey, but if you pause in Jacksonville (FL), lemme know. Meanwhile, safe traveling.
We are starting to layout the initial route but looking for anchorage and supplies is difficult. We are estimating 70 to 80 miles a day but there is the Murphy law so we will play that by ear. Im sure Jacksonville will be a stop and we will hollar
Old 08-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Bringing her back to Houston/Galveston? Just did that trip from Lauderdale to Galveston, then to Rockport. Let me know if you need any help.

Be sure to go through Nola and hit all the wonderful locks! It's a blast!!! 😳
We had started the process on a boat in NOLA and went over to do a survey. While we were there we rode down to the ICW on it as a sea trial. We.went through 3 different locks and experienced a little of that fun. This time we are hoping to go outside and miss all that fun.
Mike