Old 08-13-2015, 06:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Houston
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Don't think of this as a delivery trip. It's cruising an area distant from you and because of location of the boat you only have to go one way. Under different circumstances seeing these areas would require you covering twice the miles.

To get caught up in the aspect of getting the boat home and fail to take advantage of the sites and ports along the way is a sad thought to me. I even advise people if they don't have the time to take it slow and enjoy then do it in multiple trips, flying home in between.

Between now and reaching home you have so much enjoyment of the Defever awaiting. The goal isn't delivering it home. The goal is cruising all that wonderful area along the way.

Enjoy and congratulations
We are starting with myself and a mate and when we reach Miami my wife is flying in to finish out the ride so all things will slow when she comes aboard. We will be more into seeing than.traveling . Your correct in that missing all the sights would be a waste so we will stop and smell the sights
Mike

reissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Sounds like a good find, and with Lehmans too, for which you get parts easily, from American Diesel. Some pics when time permits, would be welcome.
We will be posting as we stop for the night when we have the capabilities. This is going to be like a national geographic production with out the expensive equipment.
Mike

Old 08-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by reissue View Post
We are starting to layout the initial route but looking for anchorage and supplies is difficult. We are estimating 70 to 80 miles a day but there is the Murphy law so we will play that by ear. Im sure Jacksonville will be a stop and we will hollar
A couple of tools I've found very helpful in planning something like that, in addition to any planning software you might have with your charting. First is Active Captain. Second may be surprising but it's Trip Advisor. Also if you just google "Attractions Beaufort SC" or any other city in that same way you'll not only see the Trip Advisor but also other tourist information. Those two would give me a quick indication of marinas and anchorages and then what I might do there dependent on my time. You may only have time to see one attraction. For example, if I was visiting Beaufort SC, I'd have to see the Hunting Island Lighthouse as I can never pass a lighthouse by. If I just had a couple of hours to get a feel for the town, I might take Janet's Walking Tour or a carriage ride. There is something worth seeing at any place you might possibly stop.

In some cases you might find yourself taking a long, hard day of travel followed by a relaxing day somewhere. Other times several shorter travel days and always time in the afternoon to explore.

Someone mentioned above I think, but when we started cruising, we became early birds. We had read many blogs and books and learned the many values of an early start. Suddenly we were pushing away from docks at sunrise.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Salute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Good choice... Get it on... Cruise carefully... Picts please! - Art
Thats pretty much the.way I plan so everyone look out for the defever was the crazy coon-ass driving. 😈
Old 10-23-2015, 11:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

About to depart

Hey all, this post has been in limbo due to so many excuses it would make debt collector blush.
First the storm that decided to skirt the east coast, great weather here in little river. Dams breaking, piers that are true floating (everywhere) highest tides since the dinosours, and rain. Being from SE Texas where rain is measured in buckets this was a turd floater (cherished expression). The rich ran and the poor hunkered, little blow 35kts so really nice as storms go.
Now Im ready to go all planned, packed and pulling at the reins and ch16 sounds like a punk rock channel with boats dodging everything imaginable in the AICW. All bridge clearances are null due to freakish tides and runoff. So I sit here waiting, listening to dozens of various distress calls some funny (just a chuckle) to, passing of lives. Waiting till last Thursday when the bug fly up the old stovepipe and I'm gone.
Last minute checks, all ok but I decide to polish the tanks due to sitting for 3 weeks settling in all kinds of temp. changes. I rest my head on one shaft coupling and kinda lay there for 10 minutes while the pumps do their work. I looked directly across to the other engine coupling and see something off. Its back about 3.5 inches from port engine. Not something you see everyday, so with a butterfly in my bowels I found that the coupling up against the drive has spit out 3 inches of my shaft. Stop laughing it aint funny. I could have noticed this before the storm so to have something to do but no, my crippled up self laid in the hole for two days and rebuilt the strbrd drive as far as can be in the water.
Tomorrow is the test, a quick 30 mile cruise at 8 knts. should do it. I have a ton of pic and will post them as soon a I regain use of my hands. I just didn't want this tread to peter out without an update.
See ya'll down in Galveston someday, but is has been and continues being well worth it especially when my wife who has never seen the boat except in pics. sees her for that first time. That my friend is a rush.

See ya soon
Mike
Old 10-24-2015, 12:18 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
You've got some cajones! Hope your props survive the debris field. Please keep us posted. Best of luck to you!!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #27
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
well...how you be?
Old 11-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by reissue View Post
I looked directly across to the other engine coupling and see something off. Its back about 3.5 inches from port engine. Not something you see everyday, so with a butterfly in my bowels I found that the coupling up against the drive has spit out 3 inches of my shaft. Stop laughing it aint funny.
Not funny at all, and sure am glad that you caught it, Mike. My own experience with that is that things go OK while you are in forward gear, but when you suddenly have to throw it in reverse and give it full power, then the shaft can come out completely!

You might wonder what such a scenario would be? Well, how about this war story. Coming down to Elizabeth City, call for a bridge opening, attendant says "come on, Cap" and proceed toward the bridge. Getting closer, then attendant calls and says "something wrong, cap, the bridge won't open. Sheer off." Throw engine in reverse, full power, shaft comes out. Interesting times.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #29

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Not funny at all, and sure and glad that you caught it, Mike. My own experience with that is that things go OK while you are in forward gear, but when you suddenly have to throw it in reverse and give it full power, then the shaft can come out completely!

You might wonder what such a scenario would be? Well, how about this war story. Coming down to Elizabeth City, call for a bridge opening, attendant says "come on, Cap" and proceed toward the bridge. Getting closer, then attendant calls and says "something wrong, cap, the bridge won't open. Sheer off." Throw engine in reverse, full power, shaft comes out. Interesting times.
Exactly what happened to me in GICW at Black Bayou Pontoon Bridge. Cable came back up and was forced to go full reverse in a hurry. Surprisingly went from 4 knots forward to about one knot astern in 40 ft. Yahoo!!!

ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote