Old 07-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Dear Prudence
Vessel Model: Eagle 40
Arthur DeFever's Most Popular Boat

Here's a link to a photo tour of a DeFever 44. About 300 44's were built.

Pacific Nor

Chuck Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
I agree that the 44 De Fever is a great boat, but I would opt for a 49' if I was in the market. If I had it to do over again the 49' De Fever is what I would have today instead of a 42' Monk.

fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #3

City: EC FL
How do you define “most popular”

If you go by the usual metric when describing “most popular” then you are talking about the number of units sold.

In the case of DeFever designs it’s the “38" as Mr. DeFever called it.

Over 650 hulls licensed. And a couple of hundred illegally splashed Taiwanese copies.

Sold as the DeFever 38 when built in wood by the Oriental Boat Co in Japan, the DeFever Passagemaker 40 when built in all glass by Jensen Marine in Costa Mesa CA, and the DF 41 when built by Bluewater Yachts, and latter by MMC in Taiwan.

I’ve read more than one interview with Mr. DeFever where he discusses this very subject. I was also fortunate to talk to him in person about this.

There is even a good thread here at TF on this subject.

Mike
Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #4

Perhaps the most popular "pilothouse" would have been a better statement. Around 300 44's were built, all of the same material and apparently all (or nearly all) by CTF.

You do need to combine the production of the wooden 38's and the fiberglass 40's (both the Passagemaker and Downeast series) to get to the number you're quoting. If you prefer to consider all those various boats and builder as the same model, then you are quite likely correct about the total number.

According to McKnew and Parker:

"Introduced in 1973, the DeFever 40 Passagemaker is actually a fiberglass version of the earlier wood-built Passagemaker 38. Built in Taiwan in imported by Jensen Marine in California until 1977, the earliest Passagemakers suffered from a poor reputation caused by poor fiberglass-over-plywood deckhouse construction. (Note that later model Passagemakers were all fiberglass).

In 1980, the molds and tooling were acquired by Downeast Yachts, a California-based sailboat builder, and production was resumed as the Downeast 40. Construction was fairly straightforward until Downeast started building the boat; they added a full cabin liner and an engine room liner- very unusual in a trawler design but beneficial in that it strengthens the hull and makes engine room cleanup easy. Both Passagemaker and Downeast models came with a full teak interior, and both featured identical layouts including a companionway in the aft stateroom for direct cockpit access. Additional features include a functional mast and boom, teak swim platform, port and starboard salon deck doors, and wide, well-secured sidedecks. A single 120-HP Lehman diesel provides a cruising speed of 7-8 knots with a range of about 1,000 miles. Twin diesels were optional."
Old 07-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
OK my vote goes to our's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	21474   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	21475   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1217.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	21476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1587.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	21477  
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #6

Handsome boat
Old 07-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #7

City: EC FL
McKnew and Parker suffer, as they often do, from a cranial rectum inversion.

There were 2 boats ( that’s two boats total) built in Taiwan - not from 1973 to 1978. Know what you buy if you buy their book. You can believe them, or someone who has talked to Art DeFever.

Downeast yachts only built a few boats.

All the 38's are the same. I have rafted up with a Oriental 38, DF PM 40's, and both brands of DF 41's.

They are all the same size and shape, except that the Oriental 38 and the Jensen Marine 40 do not have a chine.

My argument is not with you, just posted for those in the future looking for info on these boats.

Mike
Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
I really like our DF49 and am getting her ready for a big cruise, she is so quiet and smooth in the water and vibration free.

We feel blessed to own her and she is looking good with new canvas, furniture and I just got her a new Rocna with a new 300' all chain rode which holly molley wasn't cheap.

More work to still do but as we move on board full time next month look forward to seeing us on the TN river until Fall before we head south down to the Florida for the winter
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Guys, I admit the D-F 49 has great lines and must have great interior volume, and travels very well. My only query, and hopefully you can answer this, that cockpit arrangement, where you have a beautifully covered aft section, but instead of a full rear cockpit, or a full width aft cabin with raised sundeck on top, it has this roof of the aft cabin coming up right into the space which one would normally use as a lovely covered indoor/outdoor living/fishing/lounging space. How does that work..?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Kwajalein Atoll
I see a 50" DeFever Trawler for sale in Mexico. Cat's Meow it's called. It this really a 49" model. Yacht World YW# 2426-2520709. It's a wood boat. Do you believe this was built in the states? The boat has quite a history.

All and any comments are welcome!

Bill
Kwajdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #11

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwajdiver View Post
I see a 50" DeFever Trawler for sale in Mexico. Cat's Meow it's called. It this really a 49" model. Yacht World YW# 2426-2520709. It's a wood boat. Do you believe this was built in the states? The boat has quite a history.

All and any comments are welcome!

Bill
That boat was built in Japan by the Oriental Boatbuilding Corporation.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #12
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Gould View Post
Handsome boat
I've got to same about the eagle 40. I have always loved the stern and the low CG.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:20 AM   #13
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
I've got to same about the eagle 40. I have always loved the stern and the low CG.
Daddyo, do you have anything to enlighten me re my query in the post #9 above..?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #14

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Guys, I admit the D-F 49 has great lines and must have great interior volume, and travels very well. My only query, and hopefully you can answer this, that cockpit arrangement, where you have a beautifully covered aft section, but instead of a full rear cockpit, or a full width aft cabin with raised sundeck on top, it has this roof of the aft cabin coming up right into the space which one would normally use as a lovely covered indoor/outdoor living/fishing/lounging space. How does that work..?
I think you mean the DF-48... the DF-49 was a raised pilothouse. By the way the DF-48 was basically the same boat as the DF-50 built by Oriental Boatbuilding Company, and it was also built in steel (one of the guys on here has the steel one). The DF-49 in turn was a very slightly stretched DF-46 Alaskan.

All of these are slight variations on the arrangement used on Island Eagle, which was designed in 1963. Art's other early boats (built by Lindwall) were almost all double-deckers, although Pau Hana was not.

I have a complete database of Art's designs, I will try and get it up on Wikipedia one of these days.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
I think you mean the DF-48... the DF-49 was a raised pilothouse. By the way the DF-48 was basically the same boat as the DF-50 built by Oriental Boatbuilding Company, and it was also built in steel (one of the guys on here has the steel one). The DF-49 in turn was a very slightly stretched DF-46 Alaskan.

All of these are slight variations on the arrangement used on Island Eagle, which was designed in 1963. Art's other early boats (built by Lindwall) were almost all double-deckers, although Pau Hana was not.

I have a complete database of Art's designs, I will try and get it up on Wikipedia one of these days.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Yes, I think he meant the DF-48. That said, the 49 is no great shakes in terms of interior space utilization. In fact, I was shocked and disappointed when I looked at one last Spring. Looks very "shippy" on the outside, though.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Kwajalein Atoll
How well do these boats handle rough water. Say on a trip from Mexico or the West Coast to Hawaii. Can you Defever owners tell me a little about fuel consumption?

Would you consider 4000 hours on a DD engine a lot or average?

Bill
Kwajdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #17
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
My guess is that vessel doesnt carry near enough fuel for that trip also you need to calculate in a good 20% for unknowns.

Secondly 4000 hours on a DD is alot on a 2 stroke, i would imagine that it already has had work based on its age and hours.

You may want to look elsewhere if you are planning travel across the pond and plan for alot more money to buy.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Jamestown, Ca.
Vessel Name: Down East Yankee
Vessel Model: Defever 40 by Down East
My wife and I finalized the purchase of a Defever DownEast 40 on Wednesday. So for now, it is our favorite model. Like Chuck said, it has a full cabin and engine room liner. There is not much structural wood. When I was going through all the old paper work, I found an original sales brochure. I could scan it if anybody wanted a copy.

We wanted a boat that I could still fish from while comfortable enough for the wife and son. This is our first larger boat and we have a lot learn. It's not as handsome as the 48's, but it will do. BTW, are there any other DownEast 40's in the group?

Bob
remwines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #19
TF Site Team

Ok, so as everyone skirted round it, and no-one actually answered my question, I take it having the roof of the aft cabin intrude into what would otherwise be a nice covered aft cockpit does not work that well, (exact vessel length being irrelevant here), but yez love your boats so much otherwise you put up with that..?
I guess it does shade the aft cabin in summer and keep it cooler, for sure...
Old 07-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #20
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Pete unless I'm mistaken Tidahapa and another newish Oz member with sticks holding up rags on his powerboat have the same arrangement as the DF-48's covered trunk cabin. I'd like to know more about that myself.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote