Old 07-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #21
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
Yes, I think he meant the DF-48. That said, the 49 is no great shakes in terms of interior space utilization. In fact, I was shocked and disappointed when I looked at one last Spring. Looks very "shippy" on the outside, though.

The 49 has been made for a number of years in different models with different layouts and just looking at one is not always indicative of them all, also I dont know any boat that can combine all factors including dollar value into a single package.

We really like our DF49 and when you consider cost and sea worthiness it could not be beat.

gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Kwajalein Atoll
Guys, thank you for all the input. This is what a mate of mine down under wrote about the Defevers.

The Defevers didn't have very good fastenings in the bow and they are renowned for opening up in heavy weather. Instead of naval bronze they used silicone bronze fastenings which corroded very quickly with the sappy timber that was used to build them. Many Defevers in Australia of that size opened up on their maiden voyages in temperatures over 28 degrees C. This model is top heavy and not a sea-kindly vessel. This vessel would be OK in the inland waterways and lakes of the States. To summarize, this vessel is best left in Mexico (and it's not cheap!).

My waters are a lot rougher than most of you have. I need a real passagemaker, or a win the Powerball and retire tomorrow. If that happens I'm coming to visit you ALL.

Bill

Kwajdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #23
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwajdiver View Post
Guys, thank you for all the input. This is what a mate of mine down under wrote about the Defevers.

The Defevers didn't have very good fastenings in the bow and they are renowned for opening up in heavy weather. Instead of naval bronze they used silicone bronze fastenings which corroded very quickly with the sappy timber that was used to build them. Many Defevers in Australia of that size opened up on their maiden voyages in temperatures over 28 degrees C. This model is top heavy and not a sea-kindly vessel. This vessel would be OK in the inland waterways and lakes of the States. To summarize, this vessel is best left in Mexico (and it's not cheap!).

My waters are a lot rougher than most of you have. I need a real passagemaker, or a win the Powerball and retire tomorrow. If that happens I'm coming to visit you ALL.

Bill

I have seen a 53' Hatteras open up its port bow after coming around Point Conception and the Captain who was bringing it up from LA never critisized or faulted this model or boat or brand, neither would I because as many people know Hatteras make alot of very good boats.

Therefore please check your info before you slam a brand of boats as your post is not based on first hand knowledge or fact.

If you have proof of a particular model from any brand having issues go ahead and post by all means but my frustration with your post is that a blanket slamming of a whole brand is not cool or appreciated

Enough said
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Sorry, I had no intentions of slamming any make or model, I was just repeating something I have been told. This is an information gathering forum for me. I have no first hand knowledge on this size boat, so I'm listening to all. Gathering information then trying to weed out the good and bad information. You are correct, my post was not based on first hand knowledge.

I still like the boat I'm looking at, the owner now tells me it's not a 50ft, but a 52ft. I've ask the owner what fastening are used on the hull.

Sorry if a offended anyone. I think the Defevers are a beautiful craft, just have to find out if it's right for me and the waters here.

Bill
Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
Therefore please check your info before you slam a brand of boats as your post is not based on first hand knowledge or fact.
I've wrestled with myself quite a bit after reading the above.

In 1986 my brother had a brand new DeFever 53 (stretched to 57) built. He cruised it about 30K miles before selling it. The boat had deck separation from the hull issues which caused him considerable grief. Did I see the actual separation? No. Do I believe a brother that was 8 years my senior with a ton of cruising miles under his keel? You bet!

It should be noted that this is the only DeFever that I ever heard of that had these problems and certainly does not represent all other DeFevers. I consider that I had first hand knowledge in this case and if my brother was alive to day, he would be the first one to confirm it.
Attached Images

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #26

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating. DeFever us a brand, not a builder. Art DeFever put his name and brand on every DeFever, but they were built by (literally) dozens of companies. The build quality varied considerably between companies and also between boats built earlier and later in the production run.

In the case of the boat down in Mexico, that boat was built in Japan by the Oriental Boatbuilding Corporation over 40 years ago. It's probably built about as well as a similar vintage Grand Banks (in fact, the DeFever Alaskans were built in the same yard as wooden Grand Banks). OBC also built the same boat in steel, and that boat is tough as nails.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #27
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Ok, so as everyone skirted round it, and no-one actually answered my question, I take it having the roof of the aft cabin intrude into what would otherwise be a nice covered aft cockpit does not work that well, (exact vessel length being irrelevant here), but yez love your boats so much otherwise you put up with that..?
I guess it does shade the aft cabin in summer and keep it cooler, for sure...
I really like the covered aft cabin. Headroom is such that we have deck chairs under it and the overhang means the aft galley window and the master stateroom ports are all covered. It also means the bridgedeck is huge and you can carry in our case a 11' Boston Whaler with a 35hp engine. The aft cockpit is 4 1/2' deep and the cabin top makes for perfect seating. When you include the top for seating then you don't need chairs so it really translates to a 6 1/2' cockpit which is plenty large for anything you might want to do back there. It really is a blend of a Europa and a trunk cabin.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwajdiver View Post
How well do these boats handle rough water. Say on a trip from Mexico or the West Coast to Hawaii. Can you Defever owners tell me a little about fuel consumption?

Would you consider 4000 hours on a DD engine a lot or average?

Bill

We have 1500hours in two years on our 48. Two hurricanes on the hook. A few thousand sea miles. 3.75 mpg at 6.8knts. Slammed a trough behind a tanker out of Charleston after getting the bow 15' off the water. Range is over 3,000nm. No problems with the build or design for me.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:31 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
I really like the covered aft cabin. Headroom is such that we have deck chairs under it and the overhang means the aft galley window and the master stateroom ports are all covered....The aft cockpit is 4 1/2' deep and the cabin top makes for perfect seating. When you include the top for seating then you don't need chairs so it really translates to a 6 1/2' cockpit which is plenty large for anything you might want to do back there. It really is a blend of a Europa and a trunk cabin.
Thanks. Ok, I think I can see how that could work. Maybe not quite as flexible as if it was all covered open flat cockpit area, but close...
Old 07-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #30

City: Skagway Alaska
Vessel Name: Nowitna and Yukon
Vessel Model: Schucker and 53 foot wood homemade
You guys get a grip, this is a BOATING FORUM and not a court of law.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Okay, you guys are going to love this. Forget the Defever question. The broker put me in contact with the wrong owner. It's actually a 52ft Custom. Owner says all fasteners are bronze screw fasteners. It that good or bad?

Bill
2400 miles from Honolulu
Old 07-31-2013, 05:33 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
You guys get a grip, this is a BOATING FORUM and not a court of law.
I think you posted in the wrong thread, mate.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Clear Lake - Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Ok, so as everyone skirted round it, and no-one actually answered my question, I take it having the roof of the aft cabin intrude into what would otherwise be a nice covered aft cockpit does not work that well, (exact vessel length being irrelevant here), but yez love your boats so much otherwise you put up with that..?
I guess it does shade the aft cabin in summer and keep it cooler, for sure...
The 48 DeFever built by CTF Marine (and a last few hulls built by Pocta) in my opinion is a wonderful design. It's easy to say why is the aft trunk cabin in the way, etc... but the fact is that this design allows you to have a 48', 3 stateroom boat with two full heads and a huge engineroom. On the outside she is more like a Europa / Sedan trawler with an aft cabin. She has a low center of gravity and is a great sea boat for her size. Get over the awkwardness of the aft deck and consider it's merits: full walk around low decks with raised bulwarks, an aft deck area low enough to fish off of, transom door and a space to sit under cover plus it's a damn good looking boat!
It is also my understanding that this same hull was the one used in the CTF version of the 49 Pilothouse. The Pilothouse version has much more weight up high and quite a bit more sail area plus it has no 3rd stateroom.
Stagalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagalv View Post
The 48 DeFever built by CTF Marine (and a last few hulls built by Pocta) in my opinion is a wonderful design. It's easy to say why is the aft trunk cabin in the way, etc... but the fact is that this design allows you to have a 48', 3 stateroom boat with two full heads and a huge engineroom. On the outside she is more like a Europa / Sedan trawler with an aft cabin. She has a low center of gravity and is a great sea boat for her size. Get over the awkwardness of the aft deck and consider it's merits: full walk around low decks with raised bulwarks, an aft deck area low enough to fish off of, transom door and a space to sit under cover plus it's a damn good looking boat!
It is also my understanding that this same hull was the one used in the CTF version of the 49 Pilothouse. The Pilothouse version has much more weight up high and quite a bit more sail area plus it has no 3rd stateroom.
No arguments here.