Old 04-15-2013, 02:29 AM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
Was the Alaskan 49 out of Bellingham? We met a couple in Ganges with an absolutely immaculate Alaskan 49. The wood hull was so perfect it looked like a glass hull. They keep the boat in Bellingham, I believe in a boathouse.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #42
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Was the Alaskan 49 out of Bellingham? We met a couple in Ganges with an absolutely immaculate Alaskan 49. The wood hull was so perfect it looked like a glass hull. They keep the boat in Bellingham, I believe in a boathouse.
It could be the same vessel, they own several ski resorts Crystal Mtn being one. I do recall they had boat work done in SeaTac area.

I had a woodie Awlgripped, it too looked like gel coat.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #43

I have a friend that owns a 46' Alaskan. He has always called it a Defever and only attended Defever rendezvous instead of the Grand Banks ones where some Alaskan owners participate. He was very proud to have met and befriended Mr. Defever at these events.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #44

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
I have a friend that owns a 46' Alaskan. He has always called it a Defever and only attended Defever rendezvous instead of the Grand Banks ones where some Alaskan owners participate. He was very proud to have met and befriended Mr. Defever at these events.
As you saw from Tad's posting, these were sold as "DeFever Alaskans" until the business was acquired by American Marine about 1971.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #45

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
I was fortunate to be at the Trawler Fest in Anacortes when Art was awarded the lifetime achievement award and I got to meet him. It was a pleasure meeting Art and discussing his designs.

Lately I have wondered how much input Art had on the DeFever 53 Performance Offshore Cruiser (POC) and the DeFever 57 Yachtfisher http://www.powerboatguide.com/Table_...or%20Yacht.pdf. The deck house of the POC doesn't look like a DeFever design and it's use of a fully cored semi-displacement hull seems counter most of Art's previous designs that I'm aware of. Was the POC mainly the work of Sharpe?
portager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #46
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by portager View Post
Lately I have wondered how much input Art had on the DeFever 53 Performance Offshore Cruiser (POC) and the DeFever 57 Yachtfisher Was the POC mainly the work of Sharpe?
I've had the very same thought, but not being a DeFever fan () I've bitten my tongue. I met Art and Doug, here in their Shelter island office, when my brother was putting the fiinishing touches on his 57 Yachtfisher. (I've always thought that the 57 YF was just a 53 POC with an extension.) At that time, one could sense the "growing gap" between the two.

To all the DeFever fans:

I've had the pleasure of cruising on 2 different DeFevers and enjoyed both cruises immensely. Sorry guys & Gals but I love the lines of the Fleming 55 much more. (JMHO)

1) Defever 57

2) Fleming 55
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DeFever 57.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	18069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fleming 55.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	18070  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #47
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
It could be the same vessel, they own several ski resorts Crystal Mtn being one. I do recall they had boat work done in SeaTac area.

I had a woodie Awlgripped, it too looked like gel coat.
This is the Alaskan 49 we saw and talked to the owners about in Ganges last September. Beautiful design, beautiful boat. I would not want this design in wood (which it is) unless I could keep it in a boathouse and pay other people to maintain it. But I'd love to have it in fiberglass (Fleming).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Alaskan 49.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	18068  
Old 04-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #48

Quote:
Lately I have wondered how much input Art had on the DeFever 53 Performance Offshore Cruiser (POC) and the DeFever 57 Yachtfisher. The deck house of the POC doesn't look like a DeFever design and it's use of a fully cored semi-displacement hull seems counter most of Art's previous designs that I'm aware of. Was the POC mainly the work of Sharpe?
This is a good question, and pretty difficult to answer. The quick overview is that before their estrangement, Art and Doug both worked on the designs. To my eye at least it is clear who did the design work, and in this particular case I would say that it was Doug.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Old 04-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
1) Defever 57

2) Fleming 55
Here's a better comparison, and the design that Flemming supposedly copied. Pretty close!

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Old 04-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #50

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
Quote:
... I've had the pleasure of cruising on 2 different DeFevers and enjoyed both cruises immensely. Sorry guys & Gals but I love the lines of the Fleming 55 much more, (JMHO)
Unfortunately, I'm about one winning lottery ticket shy of owning a Fleming 55. OTOH, I see some DeFever POC's in my price range.
portager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
..... and the design that Flemming supposedly copied.
Poor Tony. When you are successful...people are constantly taking shots at you!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm about one winning lottery ticket shy of owning a Fleming 55. OTOH, I see some DeFever POC's in my price range.
I feel the same way about the Ferrari 458 but I've found some of the Ford Focus cars are in my price range.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ferrari 458.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	18071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Focus.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	18072  

Old 04-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #53

Quote:
Poor Tony. When you are successful...people are constantly taking shots at you!
Hey, as Tad says, this has been going on forever. Here's Bill Garden's Blue Heron design, 10 years before the Alaskans and 20 years before the Flemmings. Look familiar?

She's for sale, too! http://www.yachtcouncil.com/Used/62'...&vessel=112462

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Old 04-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #54
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
Hey, as Tad says, this has been going on forever. Here's Bill Garden's Blue Heron design, 10 years before the Alaskans and 20 years before the Flemmings. Look familiar?
e
That boat is even better looking than deFever's pilothouse design/American Marine's Alaskan. I like the lower profile. The superstructure is in better proportion to the hull in Garden's design too my eye.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
The superstructure is in better proportion to the hull in Garden's design too my eye.
Well, I guess that's where we split the sheets, Marin! I think the superstructure is too low for the length of the boat and the sight line from the pilot's point of view seems a little restricted. (Can't really tell, though, from this photo.) Overall, I like the boat!

Old 04-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #56
Guru

Thanks a bunch Scott! I have never seen this boat before!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bill garden.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	18078  

Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #57
Scraping Paint

Well, don't forget Walt that my single all time favorite boat design is the Elco 80' PT of WWII. I was allowed to crawl all over one of these boats for hours in Fall River, Mass., and there is not a thing about the design, inside and out, that I don't like. So a low or lower superstructure relative to the hull's freeboard always looks better to me than a high superstructure relative to the freeboard.

It's not that I dislike the Alaskan 49, the deFever 46 or the Fleming 55. They are aesthetically wonderful designs, no question. But I feel the Garden design in Scott's post, a design I had never seen before, is even better than the other three to my sense of aesthetics.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
But I feel the Garden design in Scott's post, a design I had never seen before, is even better than the other three to my sense of aesthetics.
You are forgiven, Marin, but it does sadden me to know that design wise, we are not on the same page.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #59

Quote:
That boat is even better looking than deFever's pilothouse design/American Marine's Alaskan. I like the lower profile. The superstructure is in better proportion to the hull in Garden's design too my eye.
Remember, the Alaskan 46 was a full 16 feet shorter, so it looks a bit lumpier.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Old 04-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #60

Quote:
But I feel the Garden design in Scott's post, a design I had never seen before, is even better than the other three to my sense of aesthetics.
Marin, I rarely tell you want to do, but you must (I mean must must must) go and get Bill Garden's two books:

Yacht Designs by William Garden: Intl Marine Pub 9780877420668 - Better World Books

Yacht Designs II by William Garden: Mystic Seaport Museum Inc 9780913372616 - Goodwill Books

I promise, you will not be disappointed.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle