anyone used the comehome option on certain defevers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfloyd4445

Guru
The Santa Anna built DeFevers came with an electric motor generator powered comehome option. The railroads have proven the most economical way to move heavy loads is with electric motors and the only current pleasure boats i am aware of with the electric diesel power are these DeFevers. Has anyone used this system to power a vessel?

My DeFever 40, Costa Mesa built, had the come home feature installed - genset powered pump, hyd motor mounted above the shaft, and a clutched chain drive to the shaft.

I took it out. Junked it.

The thought of the thirty year old hydraulics and ten gallons of oil circulating in my engine room scared me. What a mess if it leaked.

The two previous owners of the boat had never used it.

If you think that there is any comparison between a diesel electric locomotive and the Downeast get home system, well, best of luck to you.

Mike

Last edited:
My DeFever 40, Costa Mesa built, had the come home feature installed - genset powered pump, hyd motor mounted above the shaft, and a clutched chain drive to the shaft.

I took it out. Junked it.

The thought of the thirty year old hydraulics and ten gallons of oil circulating in my engine room scared me. What a mess if it leaked.

The two previous owners of the boat had never used it.

If you think that there is any comparison between a diesel electric locomotive and the Downeast get home system, well, best of luck to you.

Mike

The one i am talking about is not hydralic it is a 10hp generator driven electric motor which drives the main engine prop shaft with the use of a jack shaft and belts. Not hydralic at all.

Thanks for the information and i suspect most will not have ever used this feature. Yours is a Costa Mesa boat. I can email you the Sea Trials report from 1980 of the Santa Aana built boat if your interested?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom