Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
Guru
 
Woodsong's Avatar
 
City: Atlanta
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,630
43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Sounds like a freak accident:

http://bobduthie.wordpress.com/2011/...ting-accident/
__________________
Advertisement

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Guru
 
Fotoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 621
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Sad story.
__________________

Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Guru
 
Portuguese's Avatar
 
City: Salvador - BA
Country: Brazil
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 662
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Now

Who pays who or who suits who?

Pardon for my ignorance!
Portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
Guru
 
swampu's Avatar


 
City: Biloxi, MS
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,147
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Sounds to me like the tug was doing what tugs do. I would imagine that the weekenders are going to get it. The bill that is.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Very interesting to me that they were towing their dinghy, which allowed them to get in it even though the boat flipped almost instantly and sank in some five minutes. Imagine how useful the dinghy would have been if it had been carried on the boat deck as illustrated in the photo accompanying the article.

I have related before my encounter with an experienced blue and coastal water boater who told me that he has ALWAYS towed his dinghy for this very reason after having to abandon a boat rapidly because of a fire. He said that, in his opinion, carrying a dinghy on a cabin top or in any manner that requires more than a minute or two to launch it is a dangerous thing to do. Towing, he felt, is best. Second best is on a swimstep or transom mount that allows the dinghy to be lowered or cut free into the water in moments. But anything requiring the use of a boom, crane, power davit, etc. he said is a ticket to disaster in a fast-developing situation, particularly in rough water.

This river accident confirms--- in my opinion--- his position.


-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 5th of October 2011 05:54:30 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jay N's Avatar
 
City: Edmonds, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 387
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Regarding towing as the ultimate safety concept, during my 50+ years of boating, I have seen a number of fires and sinkings where the crew has always been able to get into the dingy/work boat regardless of whether it was towed/tipped or stowed.* Maybe they were just lucky.

On the other hand, I have seen 3 instances of boats being towed that have capsized in rough water, which imperiled the larger boat.* In one of those instances,*the towline*disabled the larger boat, which caused the crew to have to stay on the larger boat, and the boat to nearly be lost on the rocks.

It is hard for me to see towing as the ultimate*solution, as there are just too many variables.**The best ways to mitigate risk are probably:* To be a good boathandler/navigator, keep a good lookout,*have good equipment and a robust maintenance program, and a strong desire to not confront rough conditions, if possible.* The blue water sailor cannot always escape from the last one.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 102
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Quote:
Jay N wrote:


Regarding towing as the ultimate safety concept, during my 50+ years of boating, I have seen a number of fires and sinkings where the crew has always been able to get into the dingy/work boat regardless of whether it was towed/tipped or stowed.* Maybe they were just lucky.

On the other hand, I have seen 3 instances of boats being towed that have capsized in rough water, which imperiled the larger boat.* In one of those instances,*the towline*disabled the larger boat, which caused the crew to have to stay on the larger boat, and the boat to nearly be lost on the rocks.

It is hard for me to see towing as the ultimate*solution, as there are just too many variables.**The best ways to mitigate risk are probably:* To be a good boathandler/navigator, keep a good lookout,*have good equipment and a robust maintenance program, and a strong desire to not confront rough conditions, if possible.* The blue water sailor cannot always escape from the last one.



We have made the decision to both have a dinghy on deck and a self deploying life raft in a deck canister. An expensive compromise?
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Jay N's Avatar
 
City: Edmonds, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 387
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

"We have made the decision to both have a dinghy on deck and a self deploying life raft in a deck canister. An expensive compromise?"



Probably a good solution, and one that more boaters seem to be using.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #9
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,265
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Then why not stow*both a dinghy and an automobile?

*

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
belizebill's Avatar
 
City: Caye Caulker
Country: Belize, Central America
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: 36' Marine Trader, D C
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 227
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

I added a 4 man canister offshore life boat before I left Fl. to head for Belize. I hope never to deploy it but then again I hope never to use my insurance policy. BB
belizebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
Guru
 
skipperdude's Avatar
 
City: Whittier AK
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,147
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Unless you have a way to get out of the water in case of a MOB. I think towing a dink is pure logic.

Boarding ladders are great but how many people have them and are they permanently deployed or does someone have to rig it at a moments notice.

I have and always shall tow my dink. A floating painter and the oars always in the dink.

To me just common sence.

SD*
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,740
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Not many around the LI sound area tow a dink. It is rare. Here is does not make sense. Too many wakes and rude boaters, water is snotty often.

I suppose a MOB situaton wold be difficult, and I'll have to think more about how to solve that one, but it won't be by towing the dink.

*
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
Guru
 
skipperdude's Avatar
 
City: Whittier AK
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,147
43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Quote:
jleonard wrote:
*Too many wakes and rude boaters, water is snotty often.
*How would a wake have any effect on a towed dink? I tow right on the second hump.

I wouldn't tow a hard dink but an inflatable. Yes

I have yet to see a wake from a passing boat effect my own wake at that close a distance.

There are boarding straps made of webbing. Slipped over the stern cleat and trailing in the water.**Just a*two loop rope/webbing*ladder. At least something to get a foot into to haul yourself up.

SD


-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 6th of October 2011 11:22:41 AM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
Guru
 
Conrad's Avatar
 
City: Calgary
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,553
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:jleonard wrote:
*Too many wakes and rude boaters, water is snotty often.
*How would a wake have any effect on a towed dink? I tow right on the second hump.

I wouldn't tow a hard dink but an inflatable. Yes

I have yet to see a wake from a passing boat effect my own wake at that close a distance.

There are boarding straps made of webbing. Slipped over the stern cleat and trailing in the water.**Just a*two loop rope/webbing*ladder. At least something to get a foot into to haul yourself up.

SD



-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 6th of October 2011 11:22:41 AM

*Years ago I was on board a friend's sailboat and we had just left Mosquito Creek Marina in Vancouver Harbour. As we were approaching the Lionsgate bridge two large tugs came up behind us and passed on either side, going at a good clip. When their combined wake hit us the dinghy crashed into our transom and I was thrown overboard. (The dinghy was being towed on the uphill side of the second wave.)

I also know of an incident where the towed canoe ended up in a cockpit after a similar driveby wake.

Stuff happens.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #15
Guru
 
skipperdude's Avatar
 
City: Whittier AK
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,147
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Wow I have never experienced anything like this. Do you think it was a once or twice.

* ignorance I guess.

Comes from living in the back waters. Not many big boats in the area. Just the cruise ships and they hardley put out a wake at all.

If I ever leave Alaska I'll now better. Thanks

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #16
Guru
 
skipperdude's Avatar
 
City: Whittier AK
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,147
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:jleonard wrote:

*

Not many around the LI sound area tow a dink. It is rare. Here is does not make sense. Too many wakes and rude boaters, water is snotty often.

I suppose a MOB situaton wold be difficult, and I'll have to think more about how to solve that one, but it won't be by towing the dink.

*
*

Have to give Jay a bit of backup here. All boating areas have their quirks, weather, tides, etc., but Long Island Sound has the additional factor of some of the most obnoxios and brain dead boaters on the face of the earth. The wakes he refers to are not from tugs or other commercial boats, except the occasional high speed ferry that will stop for nothing, it's the out of control private owners of large go-fast vessels who have absolutely NO regard for anyone around them. And get a combination of a few of them from different directions, watch out. I personally put a bounty out on one boat that did me real damage. Don't ask. So although a wake seems impossible to cause the level of damage this thread is discussing, it happens. BTW, many of us are of the opinion that most of the really bad offenders are employed on Wall Street, and have the same attitude on the water as they do professionally. The rest of us just float around in their wakes of destruction.

*Can't actions like this be reported to the USCG. I thought that if you caused damage to another boat you were responsible.

SD*
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #17
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,376
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Towing a dink for bluewater pasages is very uncommon. In a sailboat it would be be dangerous in a following sea. I have encountered near boarding seas off the stern in a trawler, I shudder to think what a dink would do in these conditions. Count the dinks being towed in the Nordhavn Atlantic rally, 0.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #18
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Towing a dinghy is not much of an issue on the inside waters of the PNW. It is very common--- almost universal--- among all the sailboaters here. And a fair number of powerboats tow their dinghies, too. Some of them tow pretty big ones. I've seen a number of 40-something foot cruisers towing things like a Boston Whaler in the 14' to 17' length range, for example. And they tow them at a pretty good clip. The experienced boater I referred to in my earlier post tows a 10' Bullfrog with a 15 hp outboard behind his immaculate Chris Craft Commander (I believe that's the model he has-- it looks like a sportfisherman) at speed up to 15 knots. He has done this, he said, even out on the Strait of Georgia on a not-so-nice day with no problems. But it's been my experience and observation that while we occasionally get the inconsiderate boater who goes plowing along near other boats throwing up a huge wake, this is relatively rare.

When the day comes that we are able to take longer cruises north we will leave our 9' Livingston at home and acquire and tow a 10' Bullfrog.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #19
Guru
 
Conrad's Avatar
 
City: Calgary
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,553
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Sometimes you HAVE to tow your dinghy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_0466.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	7772  
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #20
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,740
RE: 43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

Quote:
*

Have to give Jay a bit of backup here. All boating areas have their quirks, weather, tides, etc., but Long Island Sound has the additional factor of some of the most obnoxios and brain dead boaters on the face of the earth. The wakes he refers to are not from tugs or other commercial boats, except the occasional high speed ferry that will stop for nothing, it's the out of control private owners of large go-fast vessels who have absolutely NO regard for anyone around them. And get a combination of a few of them from different directions, watch out. I personally put a bounty out on one boat that did me real damage. Don't ask. So although a wake seems impossible to cause the level of damage this thread is discussing, it happens. BTW, many of us are of the opinion that most of the really bad offenders are employed on Wall Street, and have the same attitude on the water as they do professionally. The rest of us just float around in their wakes of destruction.
*Yes, I have been passed within 20 feet by*35 plus footers going full bore. All to get one boat length ahead* in the channel. This is a*fairly common occurance in that it happens a couple of times every season. *Recreational boaters as well as commercial fisherman (6 pack guys). A friend of mine used to tow a 11 whaler everywhere and he drowned it more than once.

*
__________________

jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Top Ten Boat Names 2011 Edelweiss General Discussion 31 02-12-2012 05:04 PM
Gulfstar catches fire on the Ten-Tom and burns to waterline Woodsong Gulfstar 9 11-21-2011 07:14 AM
Trawler sinks near Thorne Bay Nomad Willy General Discussion 2 08-23-2011 10:09 PM
Tenn-Tom waterway salty11 General Discussion 4 07-29-2008 09:12 PM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012