1980's bronze pipe deck fill plates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcterraflight

Vessel Name
Manitou
Vessel Make
Defever 48
I have a 1981 Defever 48 with bronze deck fill plates. The O-rings are well worn and due for replacement. Unfortunately the o-rings are very fine in material diameter; typical Perko or automotive o-rings are too "fat".

The fresh water deck plate o-rings are 1-3/4" diameter.
The diesel deck plate o-rings are 2" diameter.

Does anyone know of a replacement source? I don't know who manufactured the deck plates. They are bronze with cast "Water" and "Diesel" markings.

Last edited:
Even if you put a slightly larger cross section O ring, it will probably seal if it seats in the cap.

Thanks!

Now that you mention it, they did seem more rectangular in cross-section (round gaskets). I just assumed that they had squished over time.....

I stretched the 1 1/2" Perko o-rings around the 1 3/4" cap; the cap seems to seal but does not screw flush to the deck. The cap sits proud.

Next week I will check with the local hydraulics shop (old gasket/o-ring in hand)

Those orings are usually 1/16" thickness. If the OD (outside diameter) is 1 3/4", then the oring is #030. If the oring ID is 1 3/4", then it's a #031.

Ted

Jeez Ted, you just know that stuff?

#031 and #032 seemed to do the trick. Thanks. Fortunately I have a wide selection of industrial shops and boating stores near the marina!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom