Old 11-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #61
Guru

N3 Offer

I guess my point here is, did you counter offer with all of the modifications in mind??? Or is it more of a time/hassle issue. I understand of it is time but you could try to lowball the guy. The upside is that you end up with the boat of your choice with a bunch of new stuff on it that you are aware of its quality....[/QUOTE]

There was a little back and forth on the counter offers but in the end the final offer on the table did not equal the "value" we needed to proceed. Again, it was not just the dollars but the unknowns that made me nervous. While I recognize that even new boats need one or two shake down cruises to get the boat dialed in, the number and type of issues are usually small in our experience. After the boat has been broken in you are normally good for a few of years. It is this level of comfort we have become accustomed to and hard to give up. Needless to say this does comes with a big initial cost. When you add in that we are on the very lower end of the Nordhavn wealth scale the decision is not easy. This boat was planned to be an interim boat until I retire and then god willing we would like to purchase a boat for full time cruising. The search continues..........

N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #62
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
I find the secrecy a bit over the top. Afterall if the p.o. of the boat is here he already knows about the entire thing.
As a previous new only nordy owner it may be hard for you to look in objectively regarding a used one. Any 10 year old boat may have issues. And what you may consider a issue many others might think its no big deal.
Personally I would never own a new boat ... I like the fact if a boat has some use scars and history when I ram the dock I dont trash a virgin boat...and the fact is you can make the bucks go farther for other things and /or travels.
Hollywood

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #63
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
John

It sounds like you are a smart buyer. Maintain that poise.

Last year we looked at many Nordhavns with offers made. With my very smart friends, professional yards' help and long distance advice, we were able to make offers based upon what we found before survey. The beauty of a Nordhavn and its blue water design subjects it to not cheap remedial actions when problems are found. The same can be said for other high end vessels.

We found, not surprisingly, that the blue water cruised Nordhavns tended to be better looked after than the low hour coastal used ones purchased by not serious (but wealthy) wannabees.

I would not hesitate to buy or consider (again) a Nordhavn, keeping in mind that the used ones are just that, used and sometimes abused. Abuse seems commonly to be lack of use and therefore not having an attentive owner and or reputable yard frequently on board who are intentionally looking for and jumping on problems as they arise.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #64
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Personally I would never own a new boat ... Hollywood
I'd agree, but with Nordhavn among the few builders who really stand behind their new vessels. This keeps bringing back many repeat buyers moving up the Nordhavn line.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #65
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
I'd agree, but with Nordhavn among the few builders who really stand behind their new vessels. This keeps bringing back many repeat buyers moving up the Nordhavn line.
I spend a bit of time dabbling in the nordhavn world. There appears to be the tendency to move up the line... but the again the "typical" nordhavn owner is a very competitive business person that has been in a competitive world...thus the need to move up.

The thing about nordhavn's is the ones that have been used to really cruise have been well equipped but may be worn. Which is fine if you don't want a dock queen.
Hollywood
Old 11-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #66
Guru

The boat was not officially for sale and I do not know what the owner plans to do next thus the reason to respect his and all other parties privacy. If it was listed in an open forum I would not hesitate to share more information. I hope that helps explain the lack of details on the boat. Thank you
Old 11-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #67
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
The boat was not officially for sale and I do not know what the owner plans to do next thus the reason to respect his and all other parties privacy. If it was listed in an open forum I would not hesitate to share more information. I hope that helps explain the lack of details on the boat. Thank you
Ok, so if it's not even listed, then anonymity is preserved completely, so what's the harm in at least letting us know the sort of model we are talking about - the secrecy, as Hollywood intimated, is almost gettting a bit prescious. They are still just boats, they are not prescient...
I, and no doubt many others, would just like to be able to form some sort of mental picture...most of us probably have dreamt of maybe one day owing a Nordhavn, even if we know it's pie in the sky...
Old 11-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #68

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: LUCKY US
Vessel Model: American Tug
Perhaps you could at least give us the specifics on what it was in the survey that made you walk?
jukesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #69
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
I spend a bit of time dabbling in the nordhavn world. There appears to be the tendency to move up the line... but the again the "typical" nordhavn owner is a very competitive business person that has been in a competitive world...thus the need to move up. The thing about nordhavn's is the ones that have been used to really cruise have been well equipped but may be worn. Which is fine if you don't want a dock queen. Hollywood
Have you seen the Hamilton's MVDirona.com blog? Not sure they ever see a dock!
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #70
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
I think they are in a marina at present in Whangarei in NZ.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #71

City: Miami
Quote:
This boat was planned to be an interim boat until I retire and then god willing we would like to purchase a boat for full time cruising. The search continues..........
Ports rot both ships and men and an interim nordhavn live aboard sounds like an expensive and perhaps an elusive path to retirement. Curious to know where your previous nordhavns might be today. Might be interesting to see how well they have aged and at what cost. Btw there was a very nice 2004 50 on display at FLIBS. Expensive but she looked turn key.

Via iPad using Trawler
Old 11-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #72
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

Ok, so if it's not even listed, then anonymity is preserved completely, so what's the harm in at least letting us know the sort of model we are talking about - the secrecy, as Hollywood intimated, is almost gettting a bit prescious. They are still just boats, they are not prescient...
I, and no doubt many others, would just like to be able to form some sort of mental picture...most of us probably have dreamt of maybe one day owing a Nordhavn, even if we know it's pie in the sky...
Reminds me of someone else...

Old 11-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #73
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Reminds me of someone else...

Yup...

HOLLYWOOD
Old 11-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #74
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
Quote:
While we wil not rule out a used boat I think it will need be within a couple years old with little wear. I hope our experience helps others considering a used boat purchase in the near future.
Heh. I have a survey scheduled next week on a 55 year old boat. Wish me luck!
QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #75
Guru

John

You have now discovered the downside of supplying too much information on the internet. From my standpoint, I would not buy a high end vessel where unacceptable warts and neglect are present. After all, Nordhavns are just expensive toys with some degree of individual circumspection expected. No details regarding your personal reasons for rejection are needed.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #76
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
No details regarding your personal reasons for rejection are needed.
(Whew!)

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #77

City: Miami beach
Vessel Name: Maria Elena
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40
John T is a great teacher!

I would like to share with the group that John's rule of checking the engine room and keeping a detailed log/spreadsheet is critically important. It forces one to really get to know the vessel while underway, how various parts of the engine, generator and wing engine sound, feel, smell and look so that very earily variations of "normal" for the boat are picked up before major issues. Combining the physical examination using all senses and recording data using the IR temperature gauge is a perfect way to apply prevention in boat handling. It also goes along with my training as a physician. But most important is that John taught us that when we purchased his N2 and are extremely excited to learn of his next adventure! I wish him the very best and look forward to possibly traveling together one day soon.

Bill
Wkirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #78
Guru

N3 Update - The Clock Is Running

With a new purchase agreement signed and deposit no longer refundable there is a sense of urgency to get this deal completed. No time to for doubts or second guessing, its show time. Today was busy following up with bank and attorney on the LLC. A drive to Sheltor Island to get the insurance started and stop by our old marina to find a slip. While most marina's have slips available it doesn't hurt to walk in and say you have been there twice before and getting ready to return with another Nordhavn. I was in and out in ten minutes with an assigned slip without any paper work or deposit. The crew at Sunroad Marina are great and understand boaters. It was more of a "just get the boat here and we will catch up with the paperwork later". At least one thing is going smooth.

Today also required a decision on the name of the boat so we can provide to the bank. Amazing a bank needs the name of the boat but the LLC doesn't. Our last two boats were named after my wife which can never hurt. This time around she wanted something different so I let her pick the name. She decided on La Tempestad. I'll let our Spanish speaking members provide a translation.

Our target date for completing everything is 11/15/13. There is a lot to get done in a short period of time but I'm sure we will get there.

Later this week I will start to schedule the mechanic and electronics technicians to meet us the day after we take possession to start work on the boat. Then Mary will start redecorating the interior with the same designer we used on the previous boats. Again, this is NOT a large boat so we are not talking about a big project. We want the boat ready for a Thanksgiving Holiday week trip up the coast or possibly to Catalina Island. Hope everyone is enjoying the emotional wave we are on.

John T.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #79
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Oh. I guess the deal is back on. Emotional wave, for sure. Hope you've been able to negotiate the details to your satisfaction. My impression was that there were a lot of details. Best of luck.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #80
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
While most marina's have slips available it doesn't hurt to walk in and say you have been there twice before and getting ready to return with another Nordhavn. I was in and out in ten minutes with an assigned slip without any paper work or deposit. The crew at Sunroad Marina are great and understand boaters. .
Glad to see that you are coming home, John. You're absolutely right...SunRoad is the " best! I've tried them all since 1995 and have been at the "Road" for the past 7 years. Fire a rocket if there's anything I can help with.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote