Old 06-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #1

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
A "puff piece" ??.....

Just came across this Nordhavn video showcasing the factory from a few years ago. It doesn't exactly give me the "warm and fuzzies". Seeing workers with number tags on and doing group jumping jacks.

Obviously it's a totally different culture and mindset but from a consumer POV I just don't love the video. Lol. At all.....

Slow Lane , 2000 Camano 31
Small craft advisory
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. SoH. Yup. Puff piece to be sure. Betcha that cost a few $$. Indeed a totally different culture and mindset. Morning calisthenics are more common, I think, in Asia than NA and possibly Europe but studies have shown that it increased productivity and a sense of teamwork.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #3
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I don't see the problem... ???
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #4

Well I know I'm probably being too critical. But I just found it a bit "off" seeing all the workers with their numbers on their chests and the morning ritual thing.

Then I was thinking of the multi million dollar price tags on the Nordys and the workers are probably making peanuts. Lol.

That's just me. Im weird with certain issues! Over analysis paralysis.

Small craft advisory
Old 06-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Actually I was impressed. I think its great that a company promotes fitness. Especially during working hours.

I don't care for employees being numbered, but plenty of big companies do that these days. I was on a Chevron site not long ago, and everyone had bar codes on their hard hats. If you were caught with any minor safety infraction, you were scanned.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
Guru

City: gulf coast
Shop seemed clean and organized. Workers seemed to know what they were doing.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #7

City: Deltaville
Having been to the South Coast yard (the one shown in this video) in Xiamen many times, along with many other yards in China and Taiwan, I can say calisthenics and employee numbers are typical, along with providing meals in a "mess hall", dorms and napping under one's workbench after lunch. Also, this yard is cleaner, and more squared away than most. I work closely with managers and staff there and they are sharp, productive and take their jobs very seriously. Asian culture is dramatically different than the west, for too big a subject to cover here, and ship yards there are no exception.

I've written about, and photographed, my experiences in Asian boat yards and through my travels there on a number of occasions.

http://stevedmarineconsulting.com/ta...upm_export=pdf

http://stevedmarineconsulting.com/ta...upm_export=pdf (Scroll to "Dalian and Xiamen, China")

Several travel entries on China here Travelogues | Steve D'Antonio Marine Consulting

I can see how it might not appeal to some westerners, however, what would you expect from a builder other than portraying their own production facility in the best possible light? It's advertising.

Simply from an editorial definition perspective, a 'puff piece' is something entirely different, in the marine world it is an article or video (often boat reviews) published by a magazine that has the semblance of impartiality, but is in fact biased in favor of the manufacturer, often for one of two reasons (or both), either the author doesn't know enough about the process to be constructively critical, so he/she takes a safe route by offering nothing but praise, or the subject is an advertiser, and the publisher doesn't want to risk them pulling advertising if the piece contains anything remotely resembling criticism (to be fair, even if an author were to include genuine critiques, editors often pull them). In my experience the latter, pulling advertising, is very uncommon provided the piece is fair, authoritative and well-written, and sometimes they are not. In fact, if it is, and it includes some legitimate criticism, those about whom the piece is written often realize it has significantly more legitimacy and value than the puff piece, at which point they ask to buy reprints.

I worked for an editor who liked to say, "If an advertiser isn't threatening to pull ads every once in a while because of something we've written, we probably aren't doing our job". And, "They should be threatening to pull ads because of something we have written, rather than something we haven't written [about them]"

Some articles are intentionally "puff pieces", profiles about boat builders or marine equipment manufacturers, for instance, aren't intended to be an exposť. I've written many of these, and they are a far different animal than boat reviews.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #8

Thanks Steve. Lots of good info on your "travelogue", I'm still going through it all.

Small craft advisory