Old 10-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #21
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Extra space is nice, but along with size, would recommend a close look at complexity. For the OP, likely little difference as both boats are Nordhavns, but what halts/interrupts many long distance cruising dreams are systems' breakdowns.

I'm sure there are long threads on this, and I'm sort of making this up as I write, but mechanical complexity can be estimated by
[sum of hose clamps + impellers + hydraulic rams (including stabilizers) you can quickly get a tool on]
divided by
[Sum of hose clamps + impellers + hydraulic rams there are].

Electronics' complexity can be similarly approximated by product of
[sum of display screens + sensors/transducers]
multiplied by
[sum of IP Addresses + WiFi networks (SSIDs)].
Lower is better - under 10. Everyone worries about redundancy, but I strongly suspect most electronic failures these days are due to some sort of SW corruption, incompatibility after a SW/Firmware update, etc. Unless a totally separate system, will affect redundant too.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #22
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
As much as I respect TT's opinion on this thread, I respectfully disagree. I've had 9 boats since 1995, running anywhere from 30' to 54' & after much thought I've concluded that one should buy the smallest boat that has everything you want. The difference in costs to maintain the vessel are considerable as you move up in size. Taxes, slip fees, divers, insurance, boat washers,etc.

Now, you've indicated that buying a boat that is capable of crossing oceans is one of your desires. IMHO, there isn't a boat of any size (other than an aircraft carrier) that I would feel safe on while crossing an ocean. Besides, comparing a 43 footer to a 47 footer for ocean transits is foolhardy at best.

Below is a photo of the last boat I crossed an ocean on.
Walt I certainly agreed with your post until I got to the word foolhardy. Geez, you jumped from a helicopter into the raging seas to rescue pilots. Speaking of foolhardy, well I must admit I prefer the word heroic. We need to do a SoCal cruise with you again. I'd prefer neither foolhardy or heroic but I will provide some Scotch if need be.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Extra space is nice, but along with size, would recommend a close look at complexity..
The beauty of comparing these two vessels is they both have pretty much identical systems just different sizes in some cases. The 43 has recently morphed into the 475 while the 47 into the 52 almost a decade ago. Yup, more storage space results.

I'm quite intrigued with the early statements and released specs on the N41. Lots of competition though in that size range whether KK, Helmsman or NP. Then the Ranger Tug 41. So many choices.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:43 PM   #24

City: Dawson City, Yukon
This is a great forum for information.
However, You might want to join the Nordhavn Dreamers Site and see what they can contribute.
Dean Russell is offline   Reply With Quote