Old 12-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #41
Guru

San Diego Visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
I am really looking forward to seeing La Tempestad. Jill and I may be down in San Diego over the winter break perhaps we could look you up?

Bob and Jill

Bob, please let us know in advance if you ever visit SD. We would enjoy showing you boat. Its a small Nordhavn but carries the same quality as our boats.

N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #42
Guru

Pictures of N3

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksbuddy View Post
This strikes me as somewhat arrogant. Are you now the self appointed arbiter of what is 'true' on trawlerforum that John has to prove himself to? Do we now all have to post pictures in support of any post made?

Wow, I do find the demand to see pictures a little strong. I'm not sure how to upload them but will search this site for directions again. I think if you look at our small info page you will see Mary and I in front of N2. Once I figure out how to upload photo's I will include a picture N1, N2 and N3.

John

Old 12-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Here you go, John.

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Set up your account | Help, Tips, etc

Maybe this will help explain how to post pics.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #44
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Unknot your panties everyone.

beachbum29 is using very common internet forum slang in the form of rhetorical hyperbole in which he is asking for pictures as N4061 is describing something that is indeed visual in nature. By not posting pictures, N4061 is thereby neglecting one of the internet's powerful methods of communication; digital photography.

Here are some more examples:

"pics or it didn't happen"

"this thread is useless without pics" can be shortened to TTIUWP.

"pics or GTFO" You can probably figure that one out. If perplexed, consider asking a grandchild. They'll laugh.

Happy to help.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #45
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Unknot your panties everyone. beachbum29 is using very common internet forum slang in the form of rhetorical hyperbole in which he is asking for pictures as N4061 is describing something that is indeed visual in nature. By not posting pictures, N4061 is thereby neglecting one of the internet's powerful methods of communication; digital photography. Here are some more examples: "pics or it didn't happen" "this thread is useless without pics" can be shortened to TTIUWP. "pics or GTFO" You can probably figure that one out. If perplexed, consider asking a grandchild. They'll laugh. Happy to help.
Yeah totally agree. When I start a new thread or look at one I would like there to be a picture, since I'm more of a visual person. Whenever I post I try to get a picture. beachbum did nothing wrong.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #46
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post

Hard to understand why anyone would think $10K is unrealistic for everything we are doing. I'll admit that San Diego is not the least expensive place to own a boat. Hang in there.
I didnt think that 10K was too much for carpet and upholstery, etc... It sounded about right to me.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #47
Guru

N3 Picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	N3522 Insp..jpg
Views:	218
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	25392

Name:	N3522 Fwd Deck.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	25393
Old 12-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #48
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Very nice!
Old 12-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #49
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
N3 has a cute butt. It's a shame they stopped production as there's a lot to like in that model IMO.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #50
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Nice!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #51
Guru

N3 Limited Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
N3 has a cute butt. It's a shame they stopped production as there's a lot to like in that model IMO.

She is a real 7.5knot boat with a top end of 11knots. NOT normal true semi-displacement speeds but she is overbuilt and safe. That's really what we wanted at the end of the day. 7.5knots is a perfect speed for us and the boat feels solid and is very quiet. We also wish PAE had not ended production of N35 but the boats were too expensive when compared to Tug's and only a small group would be interested in paying a premium for this size boat. I ask Dan at PAE if they would consider building a similar boat in the 40' range and the answer was no. In fact I don't think we see anything new under 50' from Nordhavn or Kadey Krogen due to the cost of building. We are looking forward to using the boat and really see how she does. Speaking with one N35 owner he took his boat from Mexico to Alaska without any issues. That's along way in a 35' regardless of make/model.

John
Old 12-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #52
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Yes, lovely looking behind and foredeck, looking forward to more pics now you've figured it out. Love to see a profile, from ahead and astern, and of course inside, once you've got her how you want her.
Yes, long distance travel at just under hull speed in a 34/35' boat does take time, can vouch for that, being our length also…still…if time is what you have..?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #53
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Cool boat. Does yours have the crows nest on the mast? I would never get my kids out of that if I had a N35. Well, at least when I wasn't in it.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #54
FF
Guru

In fact I don't think we see anything new under 50' from Nordhavn or Kadey Krogen due to the cost of building.

The boat will have a markup of about 40% from the builder and final seller.

The bigger the boat the more cash 40% generates.

Better a $1.500,000 sales price than a $500,000 sales price .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #55
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The boat will have a markup of about 40% from the builder and final seller.

The bigger the boat the more cash 40% generates.

Better a $1.500,000 sales price than a $500,000 sales price .
True, but there are other considerations as well. Nordhavn's market focus has always been robust, ocean going trawlers designed to be owned and operated by a couple. As you get to the mid 40' and below range it becomes increasingly difficult to fit that into such a small package, and the boat starts to become something different and appeals to a different market of buyers and competes against different alternative boats.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #56
Guru

N3 A few more pictures

Here are three more pictures (assumes I did this correctly).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	N3522 Aft Deck.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	25444   Click image for larger version

Name:	N3522 Bow.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	25445   Click image for larger version

Name:	N3522 Starboard Side.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	25446  
Old 12-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #57
Guru

N3 Crows Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Cool boat. Does yours have the crows nest on the mast? I would never get my kids out of that if I had a N35. Well, at least when I wasn't in it.

Interesting question about the crows nest. At first I did not give it a second thought. After climbing up into it I realized I just gained a great vantage point without the top heavy flybridge. Wow, I thought to myself, this is cool. Will help when entering the shallows or any skinny water, we can have someone up top with a radio. When we were looking for this boat I specifically wanted something simpler, no active fin stabilizer, no flybridge, no generator (had to accept this one since it came with it), smaller to own and operate BUT it had to be safe and rock solid. We did get lucky. I have to wonder if we will ever see a crows nest on the new non-flybridge N63??

John T.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #58
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Very nice cockpit. Love the side and transom doors. Wish my Californian had one.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #59
Guru

N3 LLC & Coast Guard Boarding

In case anyone is following our adventure and time line, yesterday we received our copy of the boats LLC. The attorney keeps a copy and we get one copy. No need to discuss the reasons for an LLC since this was previously discussed, just provided a simple update related our purchase.

We are still awaiting the official ship register papers.

I still need to transfer ownership of the Emergency Locating Beacon (ELB) over to us "just in case" we should ever have to use it.

We have a 3-ring binder with copies of all the ship documents which we will keep on board. I take paperwork serious having cleared customs a few times with our previous boats. A funny story is when we selling N4061 a few years ago and I took the 3-ring binder home to make copies and placed it back in the car. The next day I was at work and decided to run the boat for 30 minutes during lunch. I always try to run the run the boat every 2-3 weeks. I was rushing and forgot to put the 3-ring binder back on the boat. As I headed out for my short run I got pulled over by the Coast Guard for an inspection. I convinced them the papers were in the car and they followed me back to my slip (one person with me who I let drive the boat as we talked about the boat). Upon reaching the slip I ran to the car to get the 3-ring binder. The officer in charge was more impressed with the boat then worrying about paper work and let me go with just a warning. The real lesson learned was to be polite, offer water and soda, follow their lead and when the opportunity comes up let them know how much you appreciate their efforts and being there for boaters when we need them. True story!

John T
Old 12-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #60

... I specifically wanted something simpler... no generator (had to accept this one since it came with it)...

Ok I gotta ask.. Didn't you mention installing a sat system to watch the Super Bowl on the hook off Catalina. How big a battery bank did you plan on? Or were you skipping the pre-game antics?

Dave