Old 11-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #21
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Today was a big day for us with Mary making the drive to SD and getting aboard the boat for the first time. I will be honest and admit I was nervous about her reaction to a smaller boat but everything worked out fine.
Just to congratulate you on your brass ones, sir! The thought of closing on a boat my admiral hadn't stamped "fully approved" terrifies me.

Congratulations, too, on getting a great boat.

angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #22
Guru

Admirals Approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Just to congratulate you on your brass ones, sir! The thought of closing on a boat my admiral hadn't stamped "fully approved" terrifies me.

Congratulations, too, on getting a great boat.
I agree this was a strange approach to buying a boat without the Admiral seeing the boat but this whole purchase has a long story behind it that I plan to write about. In summary my wife has been through hell the past five years (5 surgeries) and the boat is our attempt to get our life back. A roll of the dice to say the least but worth every dollar. Life is just too short not to take chances! Thanks

N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
In summary my wife has been through hell the past five years (5 surgeries) and the boat is our attempt to get our life back. A roll of the dice to say the least but worth every dollar. Life is just too short not to take chances! Thanks
The best to both of you with that!
Old 11-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #24
Guru

N3 Update 11/23/13

Things continue to progress well with the boat. The cooling system cleaning and engine oil change are all complete. The mechanic reported that after starting the engine it took about 20 minutes for the temperature to reach normal which sounds about. I can remember on our previous boats (dry stack exhaust systems) it would take about that long for the temperatures to reach the normal range.

Today we plan to drive to Dana Point, CA - home of PAE headquarters to see the interior designer we used twice before to discuss the interior upgrades. Next week we meet with a carpenter next week to look at removing a larger storage cabinet (original washer/dryer location) and possibly upgrade the galley floor.

If all goes as planned we should be back on the boat Monday or Tuesday for cleaning and a little cruising around the bay. We also have to start bringing down some personal items to spend the night. I think everyone can relate to this aspect of getting a new boat ready.

An observation for those wondering how we feel about the new versus used boat experience: there are differences but so far equally enjoyable. I think I can say only this because the boat is like new and doesn't require a lot of work. Will keep everyone posted.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

John T.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #25
Guru

N3- Update 11/23/13

Todays meeting with the interior decorator went well. Maria selected carpet, leather for the sofas, window coverings and bed spread materials. We are going with natural colors (off whites and tans) to keep the smaller boat looking open and airy. Natural colors with touch of sophistication, after all it is still a Nordhavn. The designer will meet us on the boat on Wednesday and take measurements. It will take 2-3 weeks to have everything completed and I will admit we are a little excited.

Tomorrow we are off to the local stores to start stocking up with galley items like coffee makers, blenders, etc...

Not much different then a new boat. That's all for today.

John T.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #26
Guru

Update - 11/25/13

As with any new boat the initial few trips are usually filled with provisioning and getting to know the boat. N3 is no different, with trips to Home Depot, Target and West Marine. We have a few boxes loaded up with personal stuff and plan to do more shopping tomorrow when we visit the boat in San Diego and spend a few days aboard. We plan to take her for a ride either tomorrow or Wednesday for a few hours and start to learn the boat. Next week we plan to move the boat over to another dock which provides a better views since we are shouldered by two tall boats which makes us feel boxed in. This is one good thing about owning a boat, don't like the neighbors, just move to another slip.

Today we received the bill for the LLC, with the 3X discount it still cost $1,500. Total costs to date $4K to get the boat. This excludes slip fees and insurance. Again, this type of information to just to help others plan for their boat purchase and understand some of the hidden costs.

John
Old 12-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #27
Guru

N3 - Update 12/4/13

Well the fun continues with updating La Tempestad to our standards. We received the quote today for all new leather seating, window coverings and carpets. Price tag around $10K for a small 35'. I don't even want to look at receipts for our two N40's.

Next step will be to have the top side buffed out. The hull shines like new but the top side can use a light buffing to bring it back to new condition.

Also need to find a diver to keep the hull bottom cleaned.

Hopefully we can move the boat this weekend to a new slip (same marina) and find someone to paint the new name on the transom.

A new boat purchase does keep you busy. I'm glade I'm off for two weeks at Christmas to enjoy the boat.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #28
Guru

City: somewhere
For $10K I can redecoate all of the interior and replace most of the canvas.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #29
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Woahhhh, 10k? Are the pillows diamond Incrusted with gold inlays?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #30
Guru

I'm thinking of calling BS on this. No pictures, nothing.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #31
Guru

Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post

No BS here. Just ask anyone on the Nordhavn Dreamers or Nordhavn Owners site or read our small book "Life is a Journey Why Not Live It Aboard a Trawler". Pictures will be posted (before / after) once all the work is completed.

Hard to understand why anyone would think $10K is unrealistic for everything we are doing. I'll admit that San Diego is not the least expensive place to own a boat. Hang in there.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #32
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
No BS here. Just ask anyone on the Nordhavn Dreamers or Nordhavn Owners site or read our small book "Life is a Journey Why Not Live It Aboard a Trawler". Pictures will be posted (before / after) once all the work is completed. Hard to understand why anyone would think $10K is unrealistic for everything we are doing. I'll admit that San Diego is not the least expensive place to own a boat. Hang in there.
I guess I could see that! we poured 60K in our camano. But that was everything.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #33
Guru

There's an old internet saying, " no pics, it never happened"...
Old 12-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
There's an old internet saying, " no pics, it never happened"...
Got a picture that proves the age of that saying?
Old 12-06-2013, 01:17 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post

Got a picture that proves the age of that saying?
Just Google it.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #36

City: Fulton, Missouri
Vessel Name: Attitude Adjustment
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
Quote:
This strikes me as somewhat arrogant. Are you now the self appointed arbiter of what is 'true' on trawlerforum that John has to prove himself to? Do we now all have to post pictures in support of any post made?
micksbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #37
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Quote:
Well the fun continues with updating La Tempestad to our standards. We received the quote today for all new leather seating, window coverings and carpets. Price tag around $10K for a small 35'. I don't even want to look at receipts for our two N40's.

Next step will be to have the top side buffed out. The hull shines like new but the top side can use a light buffing to bring it back to new condition.

Also need to find a diver to keep the hull bottom cleaned.

Hopefully we can move the boat this weekend to a new slip (same marina) and find someone to paint the new name on the transom.

A new boat purchase does keep you busy. I'm glade I'm off for two weeks at Christmas to enjoy the boat.

I am really looking forward to seeing La Tempestad. Jill and I may be down in San Diego over the winter break perhaps we could look you up?

Bob and Jill
Old 12-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #38
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by micksbuddy View Post

This strikes me as somewhat arrogant. Are you now the self appointed arbiter of what is 'true' on trawlerforum that John has to prove himself to? Do we now all have to post pictures in support of any post made?
Lol. Welcome to the interwebs.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
FWIW, here's a picture of his book.

I close with a quote from the Internet Rule Book which I believe addresses this situation perfectly:

11. All your carefully picked arguments can easily be ignored.

11.1. Anything you say, no matter how truthful or carefully picked, WILL be deemed wrong if the majority is against you.

12. Anything you say can and will be used against you.

13. Anything you say can be turned into something else. - fixed

14. Do not argue with trolls — it means that they win.

15. The harder you try, the harder you will fail.

16. If you fail in epic proportions, it may just become a winning failure.

17. Every win fails eventually.

18. Everything that can be labeled, can be hated.

19. The more you hate it, the stronger it gets.

20. Nothing is to be taken seriously.

20.2. Because nothing is a serious matter. Everything else isn't. No exceptions.

EDIT: I am mistaken. I completely overlooked rule #32. Never even knew it existed!

32. You must have pictures to prove your statements.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
FWIW, here's a picture of his book.

I close with a quote from the Internet Rule Book which I believe addresses this situation perfectly:

32. You must have pictures to prove your statements.
Thanks, it's so clear to me now . . .