finally!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our main engine cooler is a Fenstrum ahttp://fernstrum.com/products/gridcooler-keel-cooler/

A lot of plate coolers use Ti as the plate material so don't see why not use it for keel coolers but certainly does appear to be a bit of over kill.

Ti has several advantages in plate coolers, lighter weight, thinner plates, and higher flow velocities. The risk of corrosion, erosion, and greater biofouling resistance is a plus compared to CuNi but the thermal conductivity is less than CuNi but better than SS. It is a good material for plate coolers but only buys bragging rights for a keel cooler since good old fashioned copper pipe would make a far better keel cooler for way less money.

I don't think the non-Fernstrum cooler in the photograph is Ti in any event. The headers don't look like the Ti headers which appear to be designed to permit easy weld purging and a bit of "streamlining."

We just checked on boat they got most of the stuff done, the last thing there doing is pointing the window frames nd we'll be set. We'll be leaving early Saturday and we'll be sleeping on the boat Friday night.

Attachments

• image-945995043.jpg
    image-945995043.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 148
  • image-3856855447.jpg
    image-3856855447.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 138
  • image-3669497072.jpg
    image-3669497072.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 142
  • image-2069938647.jpg
    image-2069938647.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Also shots of the new canvas. All together it was $6500.00 that included dink cushions all deck, hatch, and window covers. Oh and the flybridge.

Attachments

• image-3047091008.jpg
    image-3047091008.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 128
  • image-2496792974.jpg
    image-2496792974.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 141
Really coming along, maybe stated early and I missed it, any intended destinations planned once all up to snuff?

Really coming along, maybe stated early and I missed it, any intended destinations planned once all up to snuff?
We plan to explore all of the Bahamas, and then if my dreams come true French Polynesia.

On our way to Sailfish Marina, then tomorrow early were going head home to Fort Lauderdale. Saw Bucky, and O.C divers boat, but my iPad was downstairs.

Attachments

• image-2137492866.jpg
    image-2137492866.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 141
Oliver is great -- and fits the name too. She's beautiful.

One question/concern: Can you lower the ladder on the swim platform from the water? A while back a friend went into the drink so I ask...

That's a great looking boat though for certain.

Oliver is great -- and fits the name too. She's beautiful. One question/concern: Can you lower the ladder on the swim platform from the water? A while back a friend went into the drink so I ask... That's a great looking boat though for certain.
Thanks, and no. :)

Turns out Nordhavn was holding an spare inverter the PO bought, ours seems to be working fine now though. so well just keep it till it's needed.

Attachments

• image-3299459085.jpg
    image-3299459085.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 167
On our way to Sailfish Marina, then tomorrow early were going head home to Fort Lauderdale. Saw Bucky, and O.C divers boat, but my iPad was downstairs.

Sorry we missed you when you passed by. MV Oliver is an awesome little ship. I'd loved to have gotten a return wave from an N-47.;)

Sorry we missed you when you passed by. MV Oliver is an awesome little ship. I'd loved to have gotten a return wave from an N-47.;)
No problem, both of your boats were spotless!!! Thanks for the complements. We're more then excited, we went from dreamers to owners. An amazing feelling! :)

Ti has several advantages in plate coolers, lighter weight, thinner plates, and higher flow velocities. The risk of corrosion, erosion, and greater biofouling resistance is a plus compared to CuNi but the thermal conductivity is less than CuNi but better than SS. It is a good material for plate coolers but only buys bragging rights for a keel cooler since good old fashioned copper pipe would make a far better keel cooler for way less money.

Rick, do you think the reason for Ti over copper might be the stronger resistance to deformation, so if you hit something a bit hard, whereas copper tubing could be crimped thus reducing flow, Titanium would resist being crimped much more…probably would fracture before being compressed I suspect. Certainly that, its strength, lightness, and corrosion resistance is why they are used in joint prostheses.

Last edited:
Running the transdeucer cable up to the dash for the new garmins.

Attachments

• image-1408990694.jpg
    image-1408990694.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 155
  • image-3165462751.jpg
    image-3165462751.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 152
Went to WM today bought some stuff for the new dink, and figured I'd pick this little baby up, going test her out this weekend.

Attachments

• image-438226594.jpg
    image-438226594.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 168
Thanks, and no. :)

Am I reading this correctly, you can't access the boat ladder from the water?

May I politely suggest that you give some consideration to getting each member of your family,starting with the skipper, to jump into the water and see if they are all able to get themselves back on the boat without assistance.

We did this with our family, jumping from the bow then swimming to the stern and getting themselves back on the boat. The five year old couldn't do it, so I modified and extended the ladder till she was comfortable being throw overboard, by her brothers, knowing she could clamber back on board.

At some stage kids will go over board(well mine anyway) and you may not be around to help them.

Lovely boat by the way.

Last edited:
Rick, do you think the reason for Ti over copper might be the stronger resistance to deformation ...

Sorry for the slow response ... haven't read this thread for a while.

I could be completely wrong but I think the company that builds the keel coolers for Nordhavn just has a bunch of Ti tubing and plate left over from some other product and probably knows the right people at Dania Point.

Looking at the design and fabrication, there is nothing there that a home shop steel pipe welder couldn't stick together out of scrap material and the finished product looks like it. There is no consideration for heat transfer enhancement or improved water flow that you see on products from the established keel cooler manufacturers.

Even homemade coolers that are nothing more than water pipes running along the hull don't get whacked often enough for that to be a consideration. The design of most keel coolers provides for a bit of protection against snagging lines and some drag reduction, and there are some deeply inset units for boats that might touch the ground regularly. Most of those are still made of CuNi or aluminum, or just good old fashioned copper tubing or galvanized pipe. Welded on half pipes are fairly common on steel workboats.

Am I reading this correctly, you can't access the boat ladder from the water? May I politely suggest that you give some consideration to getting each member of your family,starting with the skipper, to jump into the water and see if they are all able to get themselves back on the boat without assistance. We did this with our family, jumping from the bow then swimming to the stern and getting themselves back on the boat. The five year old couldn't do it, so I modified and extended the ladder till she was comfortable being throw overboard, by her brothers, knowing she could clamber back on board. At some stage kids will go over board(well mine anyway) and you may not be around to help them. Lovely boat by the way.
Thanks for the suggestion next time were out in the Bahamas anchored I'll make (try) everyone do that. Your not able to access the ladder, but the platform itself is pretty close to the water so I really don't think it matters.

Thanks for the suggestion next time were out in the Bahamas anchored I'll make (try) everyone do that. Your not able to access the ladder, but the platform itself is pretty close to the water so I really don't think it matters.

Let us know what you find. The swim platform and ladder arrangement on your boat is common to many Nordhavns. As you say, the low swim platform may be the key to successful access. I think some boats have grab handles, and many have railings on the swim platform too.

Let us know what you find. The swim platform and ladder arrangement on your boat is common to many Nordhavns. As you say, the low swim platform may be the key to successful access. I think some boats have grab handles, and many have railings on the swim platform too.
Yeah you could always grab one of the posts from the removable railings.

Batteries came in. If you want to talk about a first class company Nordhavn is an great example, we told them which batteries and how many we needed, but did not ask for payment. 2 weeks later a 3/4 ton pallet arrives filled with 7K of batteries. First class is all I have to say.

Attachments

• image-40297429.jpg
    image-40297429.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 159
I just reviewed Nordhavns standard build specs. They state their keel grid coolers are Fernstrum copper nickel using silver braze wire. Fernstrum's website does not mention any grid cooler material specs except copper/nickel and aluminum.

Hydraulics on a Nordhavn are normally cooled by engine coolant, just like on a front end loader.

I have experience with Ti coolers and specs in severe acid and metal ion environments. The last place I ever expect to see them used would be on a salt water grid cooler, especially one speced by Nordhavn. The repairs to them could not be handled by a normal marine yard or out of the way boat shop. Who'd want that given the sort of normal problems grid coolers go through?

Last edited:
Hydraulics on a Nordhavn are normally cooled by engine coolant, just like on a front end loader.

On my Nordy, I believe there is one keel cooler for the main engine and one for the hydraulics (stabilizers). I'm not sure if that is what you meant by hydraulics, but the stabilizer cooler is much smaller than the one for the main engine.

On my Nordy, I believe there is one keel cooler for the main engine and one for the hydraulics (stabilizers). I'm not sure if that is what you meant by hydraulics, but the stabilizer cooler is much smaller than the one for the main engine.
Yep all nordy's are like that. First picture is Stabilizer cooler, second is main engine cooler.

Attachments

• image-974222405.jpg
    image-974222405.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 262
  • image-3729356524.jpg
    image-3729356524.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:
Oliver: Love your boat! Naturally I approve of your name for her. I have the same dinghy, which I Love. As for the ladder being accessible from in the Water, the criterion for Canadian Courtesy Examinations, IIRC, is to require a ladder that is accessible from the Water if the swim grid is more than 12 inches off the water. I expert your US Coast Guard requirements are the same, and Nordhaven to have followed those requirements to the letter.

Looks Great!

Also shots of the new canvas. All together it was $6500.00 that included dink cushions all deck, hatch, and window covers. Oh and the flybridge.

The boat looks great, congratulations and safe voyages. The 47 is in our opinion the best designed boat Nordhavn built. She offers so much space for her LOA and can be handled by an experienced couple. Enjoy the emotional wave you are on and keep looking towards that horizon.

John T.
N3522
La Tempestad

Keel Coolers

Yep all nordy's are like that. First picture is Stabilizer cooler, second is main engine cooler.

I believe only the dry stack exhaust designs use the main engine keel cooler, the other boats are wet exhaust. Having owned both designs I can add that I prefer the Dry Exhaust since you do not have to deal with the transom exhaust coming into the salon. This brings me to the question why people would build a large Nordhavn (68 and above) and go with wet exhausts? I wouldn't mind giving up a little space in the saloon for the exhaust ducting and eliminating those exhaust fumes at water level. Just my opinion.

John T.

N3522
La Tempestad

I believe only the dry stack exhaust designs use the main engine keel cooler, the other boats are wet exhaust. Having owned both designs I can add that I prefer the Dry Exhaust since you do not have to deal with the transom exhaust coming into the salon. This brings me to the question why people would build a large Nordhavn (68 and above) and go with wet exhausts? I wouldn't mind giving up a little space in the saloon for the exhaust ducting and eliminating those exhaust fumes at water level. Just my opinion. John T. N3522 La Tempestad
Well of course given you order the boat with the dry exhaust. I totally agree with you on having dry exhaust over wet.

Back
Top Bottom