Old 12-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #101
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Oliver is great -- and fits the name too. She's beautiful. One question/concern: Can you lower the ladder on the swim platform from the water? A while back a friend went into the drink so I ask... That's a great looking boat though for certain.
Thanks, and no.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #102
Guru

Turns out Nordhavn was holding an spare inverter the PO bought, ours seems to be working fine now though. so well just keep it till it's needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3299459085.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	25965  

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #103
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
On our way to Sailfish Marina, then tomorrow early were going head home to Fort Lauderdale. Saw Bucky, and O.C divers boat, but my iPad was downstairs.
Sorry we missed you when you passed by. MV Oliver is an awesome little ship. I'd loved to have gotten a return wave from an N-47.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #104
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Sorry we missed you when you passed by. MV Oliver is an awesome little ship. I'd loved to have gotten a return wave from an N-47.
No problem, both of your boats were spotless!!! Thanks for the complements. We're more then excited, we went from dreamers to owners. An amazing feelling!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #105
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Ti has several advantages in plate coolers, lighter weight, thinner plates, and higher flow velocities. The risk of corrosion, erosion, and greater biofouling resistance is a plus compared to CuNi but the thermal conductivity is less than CuNi but better than SS. It is a good material for plate coolers but only buys bragging rights for a keel cooler since good old fashioned copper pipe would make a far better keel cooler for way less money.
Rick, do you think the reason for Ti over copper might be the stronger resistance to deformation, so if you hit something a bit hard, whereas copper tubing could be crimped thus reducing flow, Titanium would resist being crimped much more…probably would fracture before being compressed I suspect. Certainly that, its strength, lightness, and corrosion resistance is why they are used in joint prostheses.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #106
Guru

Running the transdeucer cable up to the dash for the new garmins.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1408990694.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	26004   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3165462751.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	26005  
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #107
Guru

Went to WM today bought some stuff for the new dink, and figured I'd pick this little baby up, going test her out this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-438226594.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	26166  
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #108
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Thanks, and no.
Am I reading this correctly, you can't access the boat ladder from the water?

May I politely suggest that you give some consideration to getting each member of your family,starting with the skipper, to jump into the water and see if they are all able to get themselves back on the boat without assistance.

We did this with our family, jumping from the bow then swimming to the stern and getting themselves back on the boat. The five year old couldn't do it, so I modified and extended the ladder till she was comfortable being throw overboard, by her brothers, knowing she could clamber back on board.

At some stage kids will go over board(well mine anyway) and you may not be around to help them.

Lovely boat by the way.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #109
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Rick, do you think the reason for Ti over copper might be the stronger resistance to deformation ...

Sorry for the slow response ... haven't read this thread for a while.

I could be completely wrong but I think the company that builds the keel coolers for Nordhavn just has a bunch of Ti tubing and plate left over from some other product and probably knows the right people at Dania Point.

Looking at the design and fabrication, there is nothing there that a home shop steel pipe welder couldn't stick together out of scrap material and the finished product looks like it. There is no consideration for heat transfer enhancement or improved water flow that you see on products from the established keel cooler manufacturers.

Even homemade coolers that are nothing more than water pipes running along the hull don't get whacked often enough for that to be a consideration. The design of most keel coolers provides for a bit of protection against snagging lines and some drag reduction, and there are some deeply inset units for boats that might touch the ground regularly. Most of those are still made of CuNi or aluminum, or just good old fashioned copper tubing or galvanized pipe. Welded on half pipes are fairly common on steel workboats.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #110
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Am I reading this correctly, you can't access the boat ladder from the water? May I politely suggest that you give some consideration to getting each member of your family,starting with the skipper, to jump into the water and see if they are all able to get themselves back on the boat without assistance. We did this with our family, jumping from the bow then swimming to the stern and getting themselves back on the boat. The five year old couldn't do it, so I modified and extended the ladder till she was comfortable being throw overboard, by her brothers, knowing she could clamber back on board. At some stage kids will go over board(well mine anyway) and you may not be around to help them. Lovely boat by the way.
Thanks for the suggestion next time were out in the Bahamas anchored I'll make (try) everyone do that. Your not able to access the ladder, but the platform itself is pretty close to the water so I really don't think it matters.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #111
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion next time were out in the Bahamas anchored I'll make (try) everyone do that. Your not able to access the ladder, but the platform itself is pretty close to the water so I really don't think it matters.
Let us know what you find. The swim platform and ladder arrangement on your boat is common to many Nordhavns. As you say, the low swim platform may be the key to successful access. I think some boats have grab handles, and many have railings on the swim platform too.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #112
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Let us know what you find. The swim platform and ladder arrangement on your boat is common to many Nordhavns. As you say, the low swim platform may be the key to successful access. I think some boats have grab handles, and many have railings on the swim platform too.
Yeah you could always grab one of the posts from the removable railings.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #113
Guru

Batteries came in. If you want to talk about a first class company Nordhavn is an great example, we told them which batteries and how many we needed, but did not ask for payment. 2 weeks later a 3/4 ton pallet arrives filled with 7K of batteries. First class is all I have to say.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-40297429.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	26175  
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #114
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
I just reviewed Nordhavns standard build specs. They state their keel grid coolers are Fernstrum copper nickel using silver braze wire. Fernstrum's website does not mention any grid cooler material specs except copper/nickel and aluminum.

Hydraulics on a Nordhavn are normally cooled by engine coolant, just like on a front end loader.

I have experience with Ti coolers and specs in severe acid and metal ion environments. The last place I ever expect to see them used would be on a salt water grid cooler, especially one speced by Nordhavn. The repairs to them could not be handled by a normal marine yard or out of the way boat shop. Who'd want that given the sort of normal problems grid coolers go through?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #115

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Hydraulics on a Nordhavn are normally cooled by engine coolant, just like on a front end loader.

On my Nordy, I believe there is one keel cooler for the main engine and one for the hydraulics (stabilizers). I'm not sure if that is what you meant by hydraulics, but the stabilizer cooler is much smaller than the one for the main engine.
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydski View Post
On my Nordy, I believe there is one keel cooler for the main engine and one for the hydraulics (stabilizers). I'm not sure if that is what you meant by hydraulics, but the stabilizer cooler is much smaller than the one for the main engine.
Yep all nordy's are like that. First picture is Stabilizer cooler, second is main engine cooler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-974222405.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	26177   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3729356524.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	26178  
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #117
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Oliver: Love your boat! Naturally I approve of your name for her. I have the same dinghy, which I Love. As for the ladder being accessible from in the Water, the criterion for Canadian Courtesy Examinations, IIRC, is to require a ladder that is accessible from the Water if the swim grid is more than 12 inches off the water. I expert your US Coast Guard requirements are the same, and Nordhaven to have followed those requirements to the letter.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #118
Guru

Looks Great!

Quote:
Also shots of the new canvas. All together it was $6500.00 that included dink cushions all deck, hatch, and window covers. Oh and the flybridge.

The boat looks great, congratulations and safe voyages. The 47 is in our opinion the best designed boat Nordhavn built. She offers so much space for her LOA and can be handled by an experienced couple. Enjoy the emotional wave you are on and keep looking towards that horizon.

John T.
N3522
La Tempestad
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #119
Guru

Keel Coolers

Quote:
Yep all nordy's are like that. First picture is Stabilizer cooler, second is main engine cooler.
I believe only the dry stack exhaust designs use the main engine keel cooler, the other boats are wet exhaust. Having owned both designs I can add that I prefer the Dry Exhaust since you do not have to deal with the transom exhaust coming into the salon. This brings me to the question why people would build a large Nordhavn (68 and above) and go with wet exhausts? I wouldn't mind giving up a little space in the saloon for the exhaust ducting and eliminating those exhaust fumes at water level. Just my opinion.

John T.

N3522
La Tempestad
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #120
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
I believe only the dry stack exhaust designs use the main engine keel cooler, the other boats are wet exhaust. Having owned both designs I can add that I prefer the Dry Exhaust since you do not have to deal with the transom exhaust coming into the salon. This brings me to the question why people would build a large Nordhavn (68 and above) and go with wet exhausts? I wouldn't mind giving up a little space in the saloon for the exhaust ducting and eliminating those exhaust fumes at water level. Just my opinion. John T. N3522 La Tempestad
Well of course given you order the boat with the dry exhaust. I totally agree with you on having dry exhaust over wet.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12