Everything Nordhavn 35

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nocanvas

Vessel Name
Navigator
Vessel Make
Mariner/Helmsman 38
New to the forum so if this is the wrong location just let me know.

We are seriously considering purchasing a Nordhavn 35. We like the build quality and design. Problem is we have only spent about two hours on one and haven't been out in any weather to know how they handle. Its just the wife and I (not in a hurry to go anyplace) so we like the size and for the intercostal waters of Washington and north we think its a good fit for us.

We know the build was a short what 5 years only about 24 made ? We need to hear from people that have owned a Nordhavn 35 or spent plenty of time running one to find out the true good points and weak points of this vessel.

Greetings and welcome to the forum!

You may wish to consider joining the Nordhavn Dreamers group at nordhavndreamers@groups.io. Many owners, brokers, and even Nordhavn staff and principals are active participants there. You could post to the group seeking direct contact from current/former N35 owners.

You may reasearch the model on the Nordhavn website here:

Nordhavn 35

I have not run a N35. I understand the engine was sized for anticipated higher speeds, which were largely never attained. I also understand the boat was made in the same yard as the larger boats and many have characterized the N35 as a "jewel".

We have a N40, and support from Nordhavn and associated equipment suppliers has been BEYOND REPROACH! This is especially noteworthy as we are third owners of the vessel.

Please engage me if there is anything I can do for you or you want to chat.

Good Luck!

I didn't own one, but I helped my slip neighbor maintain his and believe I understand the history and why so few were made.

The Nordhavn 35 was a departure from N's blue water style of boats. It was a semi-displacement hull with a big engine, the Yanmar 370. It did not meet N's performance goals which were to cruise at 15 kts and top out at 20. It actually cruises at 10-12 and tops out in the mid teens. Some hull tweaks were made that didn't improve those numbers much. It wasn't really surprising that it didn't make those numbers, the Mainship 34T which was introduced in about that period was probably a bit lighter and didn't do much better. The Nordhavn 35 cost a lot to build and didn't offer enough performance to justify the price tag.

But like all Nordhavns it is built like a tank. I doesn't have all of the blue water features, but the build quality shows just the same. It is luxurious inside as well. If you accept its performance limitations and don't try to push it past maybe 10 kts, then it is a superb coastal cruiser.

One nit and I don't know if this was a factory choice or a dealer install but the Fischer Panda generator is a POS. I think a NextGen 3.5 will fit in the space just as well and is a more solid genset.

So, if you accept that it isn't going to cruise very fast, it is a great boat.

David

New to the forum so if this is the wrong location just let me know.

We are seriously considering purchasing a Nordhavn 35...

Three considerations: The overly large Yanmar is a high-rev diesel and will be loud at cruising speeds. Secondly, because it has a semi-displacement hull with a shallow draft keel, the boat doesn't have a good grip on the water. I'm sure it handles fine at speed, but when dead in the water or moving slowly in a marina fairway, wind and/or current will easily push the boat off course. Also, no proper accommodation for a shore boat...either it gets located to the cabin roof or hangs off the transom from a davit. On the positive side--you get Nordhavn build quality, unique styling and that very cool mast with crows nest lookout!

Three considerations: The overly large Yanmar is a high-rev diesel and will be loud at cruising speeds. Secondly, because it has a semi-displacement hull with a shallow draft keel, the boat doesn't have a good grip on the water. I'm sure it handles fine at speed, but when dead in the water or moving slowly in a marina fairway, wind and/or current will easily push the boat off course. Also, no proper accommodation for a shore boat...either it gets located to the cabin roof or hangs off the transom from a davit. On the positive side--you get Nordhavn build quality, unique styling and that very cool mast with crows nest lookout!

I can't agree with the foregoing:

I have had two boats with the Yanmar 370, both roughly the same size as the N35. At a cruising speed of 7 kts the engine is reving at 1,600 similar to what a single engine Lehman would be reving in a similar boat. It is not noisy.

Both of my previous boats were semi-displacement and handled fine at low speed. Yes winds do affect those with high fly bridges, but I can't believe that a full displacement hull wouldn't also be affected similarly, maybe a little less due to the deeper hull, but the N35 has a keel which will resist side winds.

Where else other than the transom or the cabin roof would you put a dinghy?

David

Last edited:
N3522

Hello, I have owned three Nordhavns including N3522 one the last hulls built. Everything posted above is correct. Styling is one of the best but performance never reached our level of expectation. Boat would be better with a small JD and cruise at 7knots. Overall the boat handles well a slow speeds and easy to dock. A little small inside but great for a weekend aboard cruising. Jeff Merrill at JMS Yacht Sales was project manager during construction and a great source of information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I have owned three Nordhavns including N3522 one the last hulls built. Everything posted above is correct. Styling is one of the best but performance never reached our level of expectation. Boat would be better with a small JD and cruise at 7knots. Overall the boat handles well a slow speeds and easy to dock. A little small inside but great for a weekend aboard cruising. Jeff Merrill at JMS Yacht Sales was project manager during construction and a grew source of information.

Good points but if you’re going to go 7 knots why not have a FD hulled boat and do it w much less power?

N35

Good points but if you’re going to go 7 knots why not have a FD hulled boat and do it w much less power?

Totally agree, FD if starting a new design but a repower with a small JD would work nicely and save the cost of a new build. There was a former N46 owner who built a Helmsman 38 like ours with a Lugger for 6-7 knots and it worked great. Our 370hp Cummins is over kill for our boat but nice to have in those rare occasions when we need the extra speed. Again, no boat is perfect but if you can find near perfection for how you use the the 90% of the time you should be in great shape.

I'm probably a little biased, but I would look at the Kadey Krogen 39.

Full displacement + John Deere engine.

Jeremiah

JeremiahM,
Indeed. There’s a boat.
I lusted over one at a boat show in the water somewhere.
That JD looked like bullet proof power.

A full displacement boat with a smallish engine will always be more efficient than a semi-displacement boat with a large engine. But fuel is a minor expense in the grand scheme of things and the Nordhavn 35 is a jewel of a boat that few can match.

What isn't there to like?

David

Thread moved from "General Discussion" to "Nordhavn"

If anyone happens to know of a Nordhavn 35 owner wanting to sell send them my way please. I have looked at the one in Florida already. I know there aren't many out there.

Nordhavn has one listed in the Seattle office.

Welcome to Nordhavn.com - Power Thats Oceans Apart

Interesting that a water maker and washer/dryer is listed, but I didn't see anything about heat. In the photos I see generator controls/switches and an air conditioning (?) vent.

The yachtworld ad mentions the generator, which is sized for air conditioning.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/Nordhavn-35-Coastal-Pilot-3235718/#.W6W70OtHarU

Looks like a beautiful one-owner boat, regardless of the write up. It is tastefully equipped, in my opinion.

Good Luck

Last edited:
I looked closely at them and while there are many things to like, there is one feature that made it a non-starter for me: the only access to the boat is through the aft door. No side doors. I guess to dock single handed you get positioned as best you can, then run out the back and up the side. At least it does have side deck to run up.

I looked closely at them and while there are many things to like, there is one feature that made it a non-starter for me: the only access to the boat is through the aft door. No side doors. I guess to dock single handed you get positioned as best you can, then run out the back and up the side. At least it does have side deck to run up.

Good observation we talked about that. That is a feature the American Tug has we really like.

I'm probably a little biased, but I would look at the Kadey Krogen 39.

Full displacement + John Deere engine.

Jeremiah

For what it's worth, the N35 was on my list as well. I am a fan of Nordhavn. They, rightly, have a great reputation for build quality. Having said that, PNW cruising suitability can be found in many boats. I decided that the engine and hull configuration of the N35 weren't for me. On a whim, I looked at a Krogen 39. Slightly more money that the N35, but a completely different experience. I suggest you look at one just for a comparison. Even if you are set on the Nordhavn, you won't regret seeing a similar boat in the category.

I have been on that boat, the owners are members of our YC. They lived aboard and were meticulous in the maintenance and upkeep of it.

Bill

Easy enough to put a set of cockpit controls and have a great docking station. Especially if your doing a lot of transits with locks,or back into your slip. Way better visibility from the cockpit than a fly bridge,plus you can handle lines aft.

Id like to get onboard hull number 8 or above and actually experience the performance. As a serious buyer Im sure a sea trial will determine the fate of purchasing a N35 for us.

That one in Seattle has an offer with a possible closing end of the month and the one in Florida might be to far to go after calculating shipping. Either way they are both early in the design process of the N35.

From what I read a buyer should be looking at #8 and above IMHO... Would love to hear what you all think about that.

Perhaps you could work something out with the Seattle owner for a test drive before the closing. It could be seen as a back up if the current agreement falls through...or a simple boat rental for 2 or 3 hours for an agreed upon fee. At least you'd get to experience one for real. When you think about what you'll spend for one....a few hundred bucks to gain knowledge might be a good investment.

With a high demand and short supply, you'll want to be able to jump as soon as the next one comes on the market.

Consider enlisting the services of Frank Durksen, AAA Yachtfinders, or Jeff Merrill, JMYS, in locating a boat for you. I think there are quite a few transactions done before the boat is actually listed.

Yup, as Irene says. Get your money ready and tell either of those two brokers what vessel(s) you are considering. Many vessels move before a listing occurs.

Yup, as Irene says. Get your money ready and tell either of those two brokers what vessel(s) you are considering. Many vessels move before a listing occurs.

Thanks ! We'er hoping being that We are a cash buyer the only real problem we have is ~ finding the right boat and I stress the right boat... Heck we haven't even sea trialed one yet. Going to need to get out on the N35.

For what it's worth, the N35 was on my list as well. I am a fan of Nordhavn. They, rightly, have a great reputation for build quality. Having said that, PNW cruising suitability can be found in many boats. I decided that the engine and hull configuration of the N35 weren't for me. On a whim, I looked at a Krogen 39. Slightly more money that the N35, but a completely different experience. I suggest you look at one just for a comparison. Even if you are set on the Nordhavn, you won't regret seeing a similar boat in the category.

After further looking we chose the Helmsman 38 the search is over. Thank you all for pitching in here.

After further looking we chose the Helmsman 38 the search is over. Thank you all for pitching in here.

Seemingly a great choice. I have not run one, but looked at more than one and we were impressed. It certainly offers a few very nice attributes not found on the N35. If we were not planning on heading offshore, it would have been on our short list. Did you find "the" H38 yet? Order new?

Best Wishes

Seemingly a great choice. I have not run one, but looked at more than one and we were impressed. It certainly offers a few very nice attributes not found on the N35. If we were not planning on heading offshore, it would have been on our short list. Did you find "the" H38 yet? Order new?

Best Wishes

The new to us boat is used. After the ink dries we will share photos. Out of respect to the current owner and broker it's not ours till the ink dries.

Great call. Will look forward to hearing more. May you have a smooth and enjoyable transaction...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom