Old 05-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Trust me, I'd buy the boat you're cruising now when you move on. It's just a little outta my league.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Aha.....you do have a grasp of things and we promise to take good care of them. But not a DeFever 46 I'm afraid. So probably nothing you'll want since we like going a bit faster.
With the hours we'll put on it, who knows. We estimate 338 engine hours on our June and July trip alone, 4550 nm in those two months. But our intent is to maintain boats and keep them a long time. Will we or want something different? Our hairdresser doesn't even know that answer. We have in the past never been one for trading cars or boats a lot. Now our cars will be low mileage.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
With the hours we'll put on it, who knows. We estimate 338 engine hours on our June and July trip alone, 4550 nm in those two months. But our intent is to maintain boats and keep them a long time. Will we or want something different? Our hairdresser doesn't even know that answer. We have in the past never been one for trading cars or boats a lot. Now our cars will be low mileage.
What's the boat? This is an Alaska trip, right?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
What's the boat? This is an Alaska trip, right?
Westport/Pacific Mariner 85.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #25
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
I don't think there is any safety and security difference between a 10 year old Nordhavn and a new one.. more than likely the older one will have considerably less bugs to sort.
Most " voyaging " boats are built up over time by their owners anyway.. brand new or used.. the boat will need to be tweaked to fit the owners need.
It really comes down to the point if you are willing to take the initial depreciation hit of a new boat... and there is not a new boat out there that doesn't take a significant hit on its value from new.
As I have stated before... even if I won the lottery and had a gazillion bucks I would still buy used and get a boat that somebody else worked out the bugs.. and have money left over to add to the experience or lengthen the years cruising.

HOLLYWOOD

For a boat with a Lugger what do you consider " high " hours? 2000...5000...7000?
Seems that there are a few in the 3000 to 5000 hour motors in Nordhavn's out there.... most have less.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Westport/Pacific Mariner 85.
Very nice!
Old 05-15-2014, 06:25 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
For a boat with a Lugger what do you consider " high " hours? 2000...5000...7000?
Seems that there are a few in the 3000 to 5000 hour motors in Nordhavn's out there.... most have less.

HOLLYWOOD
At 10,000 you will start replacing bigger accessory parts like water coolant pumps, alternators, etc. but the core engine should be good to 20,000 at least.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:39 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:

HOLLYWOOD
That sure is a difficult one to answer. So, perhaps thinking a bit as the manufacturer. Their 5 year (normal one plus extended 4) warranty is 2500 hours. Their first major service per their manuals is 2000 hours. This is when valve clearances and cleaning heat exchangers comes into play. So I'd consider something like double these numbers to be high and the time at which the first really major expenses might hit. 4000-5000 hours. By no means to I consider that a life though. I could see that as the point as worst case of a partial rebuild, and double that as the best case. Then double those numbers perhaps for a major rebuild.

So much is how well maintained along the way. I only have a feel for Lugger's because own them through owning Northern Lights generators. I'm a fan of Lugger's.

So if I'm looking at a Nordhavn, I'd expect to start having to spend some money around 2500, more substantial by 5000 hours. But I wouldn't put 10000 hours beyond the realm of possibilities before thinking a major rebuild might be required. I'm by no means a Nordhavn expert so some of the real Nordhavn guys here may have a better idea.

I did just look at a large group of Nordhavn's in the 13-15 year old range to see typical engine hours. 2500-5000 seemed the norm. I found a few under 2000 and a few over 5000. Based on that I'd consider anything over 5000 high hours for a Lugger in a Nordhavn. Now survey might show one that age which has been well maintained to have many more hours in it before major issues. But rule of thumb I'd go with 5000 as high based on Nordhavn's on the market. I would not be surprised however to find some still going strong at 10000. I'd compare that to car usage where I start getting concerned around 70,000 miles, have never gone beyond 100,000 but I know many who get up to 200,000 miles out of cars.