What's coming for Ranger..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hope they don’t turn Nordic Tugs into American Tugs.
Meaning big and wide.
The NT 32 may do better as a slower boat w more rocker in the bottom and appropriately less power.

am I the only one that has a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of a 35 foot trawler with twin outboards ??

The elephant in the room asks, what is a trawler?

Many builders have outboards on for their production line in the 30+ foot range. I read an interesting article recently talking about all in costs of diesel vs outboards, little difference. Here to fore inboard powered, Ocean Alexander, MJM, Back Cove and Coastal Craft all offering OBs.

Then there is Midnight Express with their 60 footer. 60 knots with quad outboards or 87 knots with diesels and surface piercing props.

IMO a trawler is a hull design. Round bottom. That WAS a trawler.

am I the only one that has a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of a 35 foot trawler with twin outboards ??

No,
There’s no such thing as an OB trawler.
Think cruiser.

The most profound thing that identifies a trawler is weight. You can’t have a heavy OB. Not one that works well anyway as the outboard props are too small.

Dan,
Don’t real trawlers have mostly hard chine steel hulls w lots of rocker?

41 foot Ranger Tug

anticipated addition to our award-winning lineup of Ranger Tugs!
This has been a hard secret to keep but the time has come and Ranger Tugs didn't hold back. A brand new Ranger Tug R-41 has hit the water! The boat is 45' overall with a 14' beam. Twin Volvo IPS 400's standard with a washer/dryer, diesel heating, air conditioning, 9000KW Generator, two staterooms, an abundance of storage and some of the most innovative features you will find!
Here are a few early shots of Hull #1 dockside, inside and topside. Contact us now if you want to get on the list. And remember, you can always learn more on tugnuts.com!
Length: 45' overall
Beam: 14' \
Power: Twin Volvo IPS 400's
Features include:
a washer/dryer
diesel heating
air conditioning
9000KW Generator
two staterooms
We will be posting more in

I got this from Welcome to Winter Island Yacht Yard if you are interested
Best,
Keith

Hmm, with a 9000kW generator it should use electric pod drives. Don't need no stinkin' little Volvo's with that many kW available!

Hmm, with a 9000kW generator it should use electric pod drives. Don't need no stinkin' little Volvo's with that many kW available!

That misprint aside, RT has such a large following that 41' sales appear strong. The reasons maybe: US made, lots of hugely attended rendezvous, press buzz, a fast non trawler, Volvo IPS drives and decent resale so the owner's can move up.

Not to mention a very strong economy moving all popular boat models along.

Big and fast ....
Wonder what the dang thing cost?

Dan,
Don’t real trawlers have mostly hard chine steel hulls w lots of rocker?

Go look at the fishing trawlers. Round bottom..... 8 knots, designed for long distances and max interior for fish.

Go look at the fishing trawlers. Round bottom..... 8 knots, designed for long distances and max interior for fish.

Old fashioned ones have round bottoms, but new ones are all chined hulls. A square space has more internal room for fish and machinery. It also cheaper to build with flat plate or with only a single curve.

This still sounds like a bogus rumor that Ranger was building anything bigger than 31. Winter Island could have either made a big typo, or they're pulling someone's leg. If RT was building a 41, surely it would show up on the official Ranger Tug website...:ermm:

No,
There’s no such thing as an OB trawler.
Think cruiser.

The most profound thing that identifies a trawler is weight. You can’t have a heavy OB. Not one that works well anyway as the outboard props are too small.

And how long do you think they will still be that way? With all the interest in bigger and bigger OB cruisers it will not be long before we see High Thrust versions of V-8 OBs with different gearcases to accept bigger props. Think bolt on pod drive instead of OB once they add independently steerable motors for docking.

Hello Hamrow, not so! I have seen and walked all over boat #1. It was moored behind my boat for a time. I am well acquainted with Ranger and its personnel (formerly owned a Ranger 29 and a Ranger 31).

They are only marketing locally because they sold out all of the first few year’s of production, and thus the model isn’t on the website. If you go to the forum, Tugnuts.com, you can search on R-41.

This still sounds like a bogus rumor that Ranger was building anything bigger than 31. Winter Island could have either made a big typo, or they're pulling someone's leg. If RT was building a 41, surely it would show up on the official Ranger Tug website...:ermm:

Maybe, maybe not! :ermm:

Here's a post from the Tugnuts website a while back by the RT Representative:

15492-albums680-picture5091.png

Ranger Tugs generally doesn't post model information on their website until they are getting close to actually delivery of the first new model.

There is some speculation that the planned 38 might be 41 when delivered.

Jim

Last edited:
Follow up on the Ranger 41. This is a Ranger Tugs Co. video of their 2018 factory-sponsored Desolation Sound Cruise. Go to 9:20 in the video and you will see the boat coming to the dock at Gorge Harbour Marina, British Columbia (I was there).

https://youtu.be/QXyCjDKhZus F

:angel:

It shows up there now! :D

15492-albums680-picture5239t.jpg

Here the webpage. LOA of 46'9" with a beam of 14'0". Comes with twin Volvo IPS400 drives and a 800K pricetag.

Jim

x

:angel:

It shows up there now! :D

LOA of 46'9" with a beam of 14'0". Comes with twin Volvo IPS400 drives and a 800K pricetag.

Jim

WOT of 25 knots and cruise around 18 knots too and around 1.2 gpnm.

At 8 knots, around 1.7 nmpg.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, a shower in a black plastic bag? Bet it is cold in the winter. SMIRK

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom