Old 02-19-2017, 04:59 PM   #21
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I was at the Miami International Boat Show today. I went aboard the Ranger Tug 29, the Benetau Swift Trawlers 30 and 34. All really nice boats but all with bad access to the engine and other systems.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:58 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
You need a 34 Californian!

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:45 PM   #23

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Any updates to the bigger Ranger Tug news? This is an interesting discussion for me because I agree with what some have said about brand loyalty.

My first boats were C Dorys and I loved them (and still do). There are many reasons why they have a big following and I'm not gonna get into that here. But I've always said that if C Dory made a beamier and bigger model then I'd be all over it.

I'm quite certain that there's TONS of Ranger Tug owners who feel the same way about their line as I did about C Dory. The biggest Ranger is a 31' and it's really not all that beamy. The biggest C Dory is the 26' Venture with an 8'6 beam. Ranger probably loses a good deal of customers to Nordic Tug, American Tug and others (although their sales are through the roof, they probably could care less!).

I'd love to see a 35'+ option from both of the companies I mentioned. (and yes; I'm familiar with Sea Sport and OceanSport boats.....)

Slow Lane , 2000 Camano 31
Small craft advisory
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #24
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
[QUOTE=South of Heaven;632963]

My first boats were C Dorys and I loved them (and still do). There are many reasons why they have a big following and I'm not gonna get into that here. But I've always said that if C Dory made a beamier and bigger model then I'd be all over it.

Prior to C Dory, there was on the market, the Marben by Roy Toland who later joined in a partnership with C-Dory. The Marben line included 28',32' and I know of one 35' all designed for pleasure or if desired, commercial Alaska salmon troller fishing of which there are several here in Southeast Alaska.

While you would have 'bit' on a 35 foot or larger C-Dory such a model much in line with your Camano in terms of accommodations and layout existed years prior to the arrival of the popular Camano. Power was much less, as the trend then was fuel efficiency. Hull design prevented anything close to simi- or full plane.

We had viewed the used Camano (and the market cost) vs. our under $30,000 purchase of a 1978 Marben and then adding over the years, approximately $15,000, Engine upgrade, electronics, OB, RIB, and aluminum canopy over the aft open area.and Lastly 1400# of lead ballast.

The advertisement is of a sister boat we were following during our ultimate purchase of 'Slo~Belle'

To my way of thinking, the Camano 31 is near perfect as a Southeast Alaska cruiser for two, best of both worlds in terms of cruising comfort having the 'Get up and go' to avoid coming weather. The biggest drawback to our slow pace in any event of speed!

"Anything over 7 knt's sucks the wind out of your lungs" is our fall back excuse for our 'Cocktail' pace.

1978 Marben Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser Title

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #25

City: Edmonds WA
I donít know how old this thread is, but here is some info on the new Ranger Tug.
It is 41 feet, not the 38. It has twin Volvo Pod drives controlled by joy sticks. I donít remember
the beam (probably 13 feet or so), and hereís the sticker shock-price range between 750K and 850K depending on whatís on it, including a command bridge. BobnDoc
BobnDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Waterford
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32
American Tug is introducing a new 36 that will likely compete with the RT, but may be a better build. The design, like RT, maximizes space and offers few options to keep production costs down. https://americantugsandtrawlers.com/waypoint/
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #27

City: Edmonds WA
What's coming for Ranger..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterford View Post
American Tug is introducing a new 36 that will likely compete with the RT, but may be a better build. The design, like RT, maximizes space and offers few options to keep production costs down. https://americantugsandtrawlers.com/waypoint/

Yes, the new American Tug is the Waypoint 36. It shares the 365ís
Hull, but is a two cabin layout. The space for the second cabin comes in part from the 365ís engine room-hence no standard generator. Other cost savings come from a smaller engine and a limited standardized accessory package. At an introductory price of $350,000. it is a lot less expensive than the much more costomizeable 365. It looks like Amer. Tug is targeting a young family, new to cruising. Itís what one might call an ďeverymanís or every womanís boatĒ. A worthy goal, though it wonít replace my dream of a 365. BobnDoc
BobnDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #28

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnDoc View Post
I donít know how old this thread is, but here is some info on the new Ranger Tug.
It is 41 feet, not the 38. It has twin Volvo Pod drives controlled by joy sticks. I donít remember
the beam (probably 13 feet or so), and hereís the sticker shock-price range between 750K and 850K depending on whatís on it, including a command bridge. BobnDoc
Umm, what??!! They are?? When are they gonna release the details and backstory on it? After the 1st hull is complete? Lol

Slow Lane , 2000 Camano 31
Small craft advisory
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #29
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnDoc View Post
Yes, the new American Tug is the Waypoint 36. It shares the 365’s
Hull, but is a two cabin layout. The space for the second cabin comes in part from the 365’s engine room-hence no standard generator. Other cost savings come from a smaller engine and a limited standardized accessory package. At an introductory price of $350,000. it is a lot less expensive than the much more costomizeable 365. It looks like Amer. Tug is targeting a young family, new to cruising. It’s what one might call an “everyman’s or every woman’s boat”. A worthy goal, though it won’t replace my dream of a 365. BobnDoc
I looked at the layout diagram for the 2 stateroom. I cant figure out where they are going to put the generator. Now, they say it can sleep 6 but with one head and the same size sanitary tank. 6 people one head, it will always be busy. lol
I own a 34 and I can assure you the couch in the saloon does not sleep comfortably. I'd like a walk through but not enough to fly out there to look.